Carter Electric fuel Pump

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
ps56rpd

Carter Electric fuel Pump

Post by ps56rpd »

I am about to purchase an electric fuel pump. I will be running 3/8 aluminum line to 6AN to feed a Holley 750 Double Pumper. I have seen a lot of reviews on the Holley electric fuel pumps and complaints about noise. Does anyone have any experience with the Carter P4600HP pump?

Tbart

Re: Carter Electric fuel Pump

Post by Tbart »

I don't know about the Carter pump. I ran a red Holley pump on my Cyclone for years and finally got sick of the racket and put a stock style ford pump with the cartridge filter on it. I will never go back to a whiney electric pump. With the filter style pump you can eliminate inline filters between the pump and carb. Those type of filters impede fuel flow a LOT! But not the way you might think. It's not the filter medium that impedes flow, it's the trapped air or big bubble that always forms in those filters. That big bubble [ look at a clear plastic case filter sometime and ponder this ] prevents the fuel from FLOWING IN A HYDRAULIC MANNER. What happens when you have a big bubble in a brake line? Same goes for fuel. If you have an honest 5 psi being pushed in a solid column of fuel through 3/8 line you will have plenty to feed a Holley 750. I got a Summit electric pump in my 351 Falcon drag car. It works fine but it sounds like a chainsaw in my trunk! For next year I am changing over to the mechanical setup I described above. I now regret all the 1/2" aluminum plumbing and AN parts in my race fuel system. It was a waste of work and money and does not improve performance on my 430 hp 351w. Looks cool but that's about it. Remember this; The inlet valves or needle and seat as some call them in that Holley 750 are about 1/8th" ID when FULLY OPEN [which they seldom are] there are 2 of them so that's 1/4" max inlet at the carb. Fuel needs to flow in a solid column hydraulically with no bubbles. Fuel doesn't compress well but air does, so those big bubbles that develop in your filter really reduce pressure at the inlet valves. Carquest has a nice little inline pump for $50. that is real quiet and MUCH better than the square cheapies. I put one on my Rabbit. I am going to put one of those [3-4 psi tops] where my Summit chainsaw pump is now to push fuel up to a Ford truck pump and solid 5/16 line to my old chrome dual feed line. That should give me a solid 6 psi at the carb with all the volume I need. I'm done with high performance electric pumps and their whiney, fire starting ways.