fan shroud on my 65 caliente

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
gmsnowball

Re: fan shroud on my 65 caliente

Post by gmsnowball »

Scott Drake 3" shroud that was a pain in arse to install and a 5 blade flex fan, 180 degree thermostat, with an aluminum radiator. It stays so cool the gauge barely moves unless you stop in traffic after coming off the freeway. 8)

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

gmsnowball wrote:Scott Drake 3" shroud that was a pain in arse to install and a 5 blade flex fan, 180 degree thermostat, with an aluminum radiator. It stays so cool the gauge barely moves unless you stop in traffic after coming off the freeway. 8)
gmsnowball,

Do you think the Scott Drake shroud was worth the hassle to install? Do you prefer it to the factory metal shroud?
Just curious, how much space do you have between the fan blades and your radiator surface?

Cheers, Ken
Cheers,

Ken in SSF CA
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

When they overheat and the tstat isn't stuck It is usually the radiator. The stock rad is barely adequate when it's new. New ones are pretty cheap. Shrouds work but Comet fan blades are close enough you shouldn't need one. A good flex fan really works good with a new rad. Tstat is very important to long engine life and proper cooling. If a 180 tstat doesn't keep it at 180, your rad isn't cutting it. That is THE ONLY REASON why 289 hipos use a 195 tstat. So they could use the same flimsy 2 core rad as normal V8. Because of $. Get a good rad and a flex fan. You will forget you ever had heating problems.

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Make sure you are using the proper fan extension to put the fan up close to the rad.

kbuhagiar

Post by kbuhagiar »

Tbart wrote:Make sure you are using the proper fan extension to put the fan up close to the rad.
How close should the fan be to the radiator face?

Mine is just a shade under 2" from fan to rad.
Cheers,

Ken in SSF CA
1964 Mercury Comet Caliente

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

kbuhagiar wrote:
gmsnowball wrote:Scott Drake 3" shroud that was a pain in arse to install and a 5 blade flex fan, 180 degree thermostat, with an aluminum radiator. It stays so cool the gauge barely moves unless you stop in traffic after coming off the freeway. 8)
gmsnowball,

Do you think the Scott Drake shroud was worth the hassle to install? Do you prefer it to the factory metal shroud?
Just curious, how much space do you have between the fan blades and your radiator surface?

Cheers, Ken
Only one bolt was a PITA to install on the shroud and it was only difficult because I had no help. I like the shroud and it works very well. I have spaced the fan right at one inch from the radiator. Spacers are available in many different sizes. I think the factory type shroud will work also I just liked the extra cooling the Drake shroud pulls.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Mine is 1" from the rad but I have a 5 blade flex fan and a 4 core radiator. Thicker= closer. Regardless,you should be able to put a dollar bill close to the rad at idle and have it sucked up against the radiator and stay there. If not, there is not enough airflow through the rad. Blow it out with air or a waterhose as they do clog up with dirt or paint sometimes. I drove a semi that had to have its rad blown out all the time. It really just means it's not up to the job.IMO

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

I put in a universal becool rad in my 63 falcon and built this shroud to house a 17" 6 blade fan. Moves plenty of air even with the under drive march pullies

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

I put in a universal becool rad in my 63 falcon and built this shroud to house a 17" 6 blade fan. Moves plenty of air even with the under drive march pullies

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

I can understand why some have a problem installing a non-standard rad and shroud. It is always frought with problems. But when installing a stock rad and shroud should not be a problem. I run a 4 core rad with a standard ford shroud and the 5 blade fan is spaced about 3/4" from the rad. Using standard shroud mounting brackets getting the shroud mounted is fairly simple does not take two people. Just enough room to get my fingers in there and the 4 fan bolts. And a 1/2" spacer behind the fan blade. In a 65 falcon engine compartment which is shorter and less room than early mustangs of the same years room is at a premium. I think early comets share the same restrictions.
Never had a cooling problem even on a hot day with ac on and in traffic.
Ron

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

65clevorcyclone wrote:I put in a universal becool rad in my 63 falcon and built this shroud to house a 17" 6 blade fan. Moves plenty of air even with the under drive march pullies

Very Nice... 8)

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere