64 comet 289 acceleration problems

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
FishHeads

64 comet 289 acceleration problems

Post by FishHeads »

I recently bought a comet from a friend of mine, he used it as his daily driver for about a year, the engine has been rebuilt, c4 tranny has been rebuilt, new carb, electronic ignition, etc. It has been running fine up until a few days ago, the problem I am having, is that when I am driving down the long country roads (where I live) in the top gear, around the 55 to 65 mph area, when I put the hammer down it starts to act like it isn't getting enough fuel.

It doesn't have this problem on any other gear or any other time while I am accelerating. This is the very first classic car I have ever owned, and the first car I have owned with a carburetor. I saw a post where someone else was having acceleration problems, but it seemed like a different problem than what I am having. I need some help because I have no clue where to start looking.

poboyjo65

Re: 64 comet 289 acceleration problems

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is it just 1 bog then it picks up or a constant miss?
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

It could be the distributor,the advance may be wrong or not working.If it is just a quick stumble it could be that the carb is lean [needs bigger jets] or maybe it is not downshifting[linkage adjustment]! JMO , ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

FishHeads

Post by FishHeads »

It's a constant miss, if I let off of the gas a little and slow down, it will stop, but as soon as I get back on it it will bog again. Sometimes it will bog for a little bit and then work itself out. Other times it won't bog at all. I will check out what you have suggested Roy, thanks.

Update: on the way home from work, i tried just holding down the accelerator when it starts to bog to see if that makes any difference, and if i hold it down when it starts, it just keeps bogging down more and more until i let off the gas. and every now and then from a stop, it will hesitate when i try to take off, like it is going to cut out.

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

I would do a couple easy/cheap maintenance things first and see if it goes away. Change your points and condenser, and change your fuel filter. both are easy jobs. Follow your fuel line from tank to carb to make sure it is not damaged(bent/kinked) and to see if anyone added a filter in some obscure location. Also look to see if it was pieced together somewhere that may be ( leaking/or sucking air)

After setting the new points I would also check your timing.

These may or may not fix your problem but would still be good to replace esp if you do not know the last time they were replaced. If you want to upgrade to get rid of the points and future replacements get a pertronix unit to replace the points. But I would wait till you got the car running right again before I upgraded stuff.

Does the car pop or backfire at all when it bogs??

Lou

Sorry just reread your orig post and see it has electronic ign, disregard the points/condenser lol early morning for me opps

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

If the carb has never been rebuilt since you bought it and you are using gas with ethanol it's possible the parts in the carb especially the accel pump or power valve is breaking down becuase of the fuel. Same goes for the fuel pump being deteriorated by the gas. It's also possible the coil is getting hot after running awhile and is starting to fail.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

One of the most forgotten things to check is the rubber line coming off the tank to the steel line, just a thought ..POP
pop/glenda

FishHeads

Post by FishHeads »

Lou, the car does not back fire, thanks everybody for the great suggestions. now I have a couple of good places to start checking out!

FishHeads

Post by FishHeads »

I was checking some things out on my car, and I saw that I did not have a kickdown bar. Could that be part of the problem?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

naa, that wouldn't make it miss .
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

yes is you have no kickdown the car will stumble since it cannot build rpm to accelerate. one other thing that I would check is If your having an ignition miss, power brake the car and see if you get the same feeling, at a stop put it in gear and while holding the brake slowly push the gas down. don't hold it to long as you can overheat the trans. if you get the same feeling then check the plugs ands wires you can also spray a mixture of salt water on the wires and see id they start to arch and cause a miss.

hope something here helps, keep us posted,

Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

More than any ONE thing,you need to check the overall tune up,condition of plugs,plug wires,rotor and cap,timing[initial and total],carburator condition,a lot of little things can cause a big driveability issue! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals