Potential exhaust problem?

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
peps64

Potential exhaust problem?

Post by peps64 »

This past weekend, I made the 230 mile jaunt up north to the old man's (CosmicComet) to try to get a little work done on my car. Don't get up there near enough, which is why my little project is racing along at a snail's pace. Anyway, we had the car up on the lift to install the starter, when we spotted something somewhat unsettling. The end of my exhaust collectors are higher than the transmission cross member. I know a lot of you guys out there are running Doug's, which is what I have. The driver's side is about an inch higher, and the pass side has to be almost 2" higher. :shock: My concern is, I have about a foot, at most, to transition around the cross member. Anyone else have this problem or have a possible solution/suggestion? Thanks!

Peps
64 Cyclone...347 w/ 4-speed, Cal-tracs, Currie 9" rear-end, more goodies to follow

poboyjo65

Re: Potential exhaust problem?

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had to use some header extensions on a truck for the same reason; here are some ;
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part ... Extensions
Johno

peps64

Post by peps64 »

I didn't even realize they made such an animal. I figured I couldn't be the only one w/ this issue. Although, with the roadblocks we've been hitting at every turn, I wouldn't have been surprised if I was. I'll have to make a phone call to see if Cosmic can take some some measurements for me. Appreciate the help poboy.

Peps
64 Cyclone...347 w/ 4-speed, Cal-tracs, Currie 9" rear-end, more goodies to follow

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

It may put your pipes too low, you better eyeball it good before you decide. Which dougs headers did you get? auto or manual trans? Is it possible you just got a bad set of headers? I haven't put mine on yet I I did buy a set for a manual trans.
Johno

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I second poboy's thought you need to check which headers you got, when I put mine in the hit all over the place and I could not even get the passenger one to line up with the head properly. come to find out they sent me ones for a mustang. if you unbolt the headers they will have a number stamped on the flange, why they stamp them on the head side I'll never know but at least you can check It and make sure you have the correct ones for your car.

Ant

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

PEPS;part of your issue may be engine placement with the MUSTANG 2 type engine placement!Like everyone has stated,make sure you got the right style header!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

peps64

Post by peps64 »

Thanks everybody. They are headers for manual. They've been in the car for a while, but believe me, for what they cost, I had checked the stamped number about a dozen times. I had to do quite a bit of persuading to install them. Even had to do some grinding on both sides of the Lakewood bell housing to get them to sit flat on the engine. Maybe I just received a "lemon" set. It would seem to be appropriate for the trend I have going.

Roy, that's my brother that has the Mustang II. I have stock suspension w/ 65 Comet steering. Thanks, though.

Peps

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Peps;SORRY,CRS is a dangerous thing!!It is sounding like I have the only set of Dougs that fit!! ROY.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yea Roy You said they were a ''no cuss'' fitment. I hope yours & dougs ears aren't burning when I put mine on!! Peps I hope you just got a lemon set for everyone else's sake including mine. I have manual trans set of dougs & stock suspension. :roll: :shock: :o
Johno

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Joh;YES,I think I got lucky [what a change for me] mine fit PERFECTLY!!! EVERYBODY else I have heard from said they took some work,scatter shields and headers ALWAYS hit,unless you have custom headers [been there,done that]!!! ROY.

ants875

Post by ants875 »

Roy,

I hope the kick back your getting from Doug's is worth it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mine have been a little bit of a fight every time I had to put them in and I have had to do them 3 times!!!!

Ant

peps64

Post by peps64 »

No prob, Roy! Sometimes I get his mixed up w/ mine, too. :lol: Hopefully those angled extensions will do the trick. That would be easy enough. It was just a bit disheartening when I discovered it last weekend. It was the 1st time I've had the car on the lift w/ the headers in. Once I saw the issue, I thought...great, here we go again. Basically everything I've added to the car that was "bolt right on" was not quite the case. I gave up trying to install my alternator the last three trips to work on the car. We finally got it installed last weekend after 3 or 4 hours. Yes, I did say an alternator. And that was w/ 3 people...one being a mechanic. :shock:
Anyways, that's another story. How long ago did you purchase your Doug's, Roy? I know when my package arrived from this icon in American hot rodding, I was awfully surprised to see "Made in Mexico" on the box. I'm not saying...I'm just saying. I have no idea what kind of quality control there is down there.

Thanks again for the input guys. It is greatly appreciated. I'm sure it will be a little while before I know for sure, but I will keep you posted on how the extensions work.

Peps

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Peps mine are at least 7 years old! I did not know ICON had taken them over too!!! I helped a friend put new HOOKER headers on his 67 Chevelle BB,same part number as the old beat up ones,took three sets to finally get a pair that fit,ya gotta LUV 'BOLT ON' PARTS,used to think it was just us FORD freaks,nope,everyone gets the shaft!!!!! ROY.