Valve question

289 - 351 cid Small Block Performance
Al289A

Valve question

Post by Al289A »

I have a 65 289A and have ported my original heads. Now I have bought stainless valves for a 351W and intend to have them installed. They are 1.85" intake and 1.54" exhaust. The question has to do with the stem length. The 351W valves are about 1/4" longer above the lock groove and I am wondering if this will cause a problem with the 289 rockers and push rods. Will they work or do I need to get longer push rods to equalize the angle of the rockers? I have screw in studs.
I am banking on this being a common problem with guys installing newer 1.94 and 1.60 valves in their heads. For the guys who will ask why I did not do the Chevy valve switch my answer is that I have a 289 and I figure the 351 valves will be plenty big enough, plus I bought the complete set of brand new Ferrea valves off a guy on Ebay who had bought them and changed his mind. I paid a total of $60.00, so I figure that was a deal.
Al

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Re: Valve question

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Al;the 351W valves are longer above the keepers because 351Ws used 'RAIL' type rockers that need the longer stem to center them over the stems.You will NEED to use Rail Rockers with those valves!If you had the heads cut for screw in studs,did they lower the pedestal?Your best bet will be to use a pushrod length checking[adjustable] pushrod and check that the rocker stays centered on the valve[front to back].You also need to check piston to valve clearence with valves open!ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

65clevorcyclone

Post by 65clevorcyclone »

I have 351 valves in my 289 heads. Had the stud bosses machined down to use guide plates. Best bet is to use a length checking tool and order custom length push rods.

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

I figured it was a pushrod problem. I will be sure to check the length. I am waiting to catch a deal on some roller rockers. Thinking about getting 1.7 ratio because I want to use my old cam. I have an old Isky, 300 duration, 108 degree with .476 lift, 3,000 to 7,000 rpm power band, hydraulic. The 1.7's will give me a little more lift and duration but be low enough to not be a problem with the pistons, I hope the duration does not botch that plan. I love that old cam, with solid motor mounts the car rattled like it had a big block, and with some gas it ran great! I ran a 780 double Holley with no black smoke. The 10 to 1 compression of the stock A motor helped that. Same carb on my friends 383 Roadrunner smoked like an old dump truck when you stepped on it. My worry, and another question, is that I left the old cam in the barn for a few years and it has a little surface rust in a couple spots, the bearing journals and the lobes. It's not heavy and I hope I can polish it off. What do you think about that? I thought I had put enough oil on it when I stored it, but again thinking bit me in the butt.
Thanks guys for the help.
Al

Al289A

Post by Al289A »

So to understand this, what I can find is that 289's used the same pushrod's whether stud rockers or rail rockers. The valves are 4.870 long for 65 and down and 5.030 long for 66 and up. The rail rockers were made to grab the valve tip to keep themselves centered without guide plates. So from this I take that the extra valve length is absorbed with the new shape of the rail rockers and all I need is get a set and that should fix the problem. I would still check to see that I ride the tips in the center. Now I see what you are saying Roy.

Al

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

If you go to roller rockers,there are some made for the rail type valves.Yes,you WILL need to check pushrod length and piston to valve clearance! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Don't use guide plates and self-aligning rockers. It's one or the other! I would go with guide plates/ hardened push rods and use any non-rail type rocker you want. The extra tip length should not be a problem. And yes, get the geometry right and check P2V clearance!

I wouldn't use a rusty cam...if ANY metal has been displaced by the oxidizing it'll be bad news!

JH
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Late model ford small block use pedestal mount rockers which use neither guide plates or valve guided rockers. But are a non-adjustable design that gets setup using shims. That's what my GT40 heads use.
Ron