fe header gaskets

390 & up cid Monster Motors
fryedaddy

fe header gaskets

Post by fryedaddy »

if any of you guys put headers on your fe,be careful when you go buy your gaskets for them.i bought some remflex header gaskets for my 428,and when i put them on they leaked like crazy.the exhaust holes were too big and they did not match my headers.they make 7 different exhaust gaskets for the fe.i have old headers on my car and they have a bead around the exhaust holes so i had to reorder some new gaskets for beaded headers.newer headers are mostly flat,gt390s have a different bolt pattern,etc.it used to be you could get just a universal gasket to fit most all of them.but be careful these days when you get header gaskets,cause there are several options,different size exhaust holes and different bolt patterns to choose from.i just thought i would pass this on so maybe someone might not make the same mistake i did.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

fryedaddy

Re: fe header gaskets

Post by fryedaddy »

i put my new header gaskets on and i still have a noise.im not sure if its a crack in my header or if its engine noise.its a almost new engine,i hope its not serious like a spun rod bearing or something inside
fryedaddy

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I used 2 sets of percy's gaskets on a troublesome leak. they are kinda like padded with & thick alum foil covered. You might try a section of garden hose as a stethoscope to track down the noise. works great!
Johno

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i hope i get it figured out soon,i had a loose rocker on no7 exhaust. would that make a sound like a peck and a miss out the exhaust manifold?.i havnt fired it up since i tightened down the rocker on no 7 ex.i need to get some fuel before i try it.its bone dry.
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Don't laugh...... :shock: check your fuel pump.....the little tenshion spring might be broke.....been there done that ,it'll cause a weird little tick....sorta like a bad lifter tick......POP
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i took my driver side header all the way off my comet today,and got it out where i could see it.it had a hole about the size of a bean in it,no 7 cyl.im glad thats what it was,i thought it could have been engine noise
fryedaddy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i welded a patch over the hole in my header and put it back on and hooked the 3 inch x pipe and exhaust,and i fired her up and no more noise except out the tailpipe where it should be.i know i need a new set of headers but it sure sounds good,because i was worried something was wrong.i had called the machine shop where i got my engine put together at before i found the hole and i told him i might have a noise in my engine.he assured me nothing could be wrong.he told me to cut my oil filter up and look in it for medal.it was clean as a pin.i need to call and tell him i found a hole in my header
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

fryedaddy wrote:i welded a patch over the hole in my header and put it back on and hooked the 3 inch x pipe and exhaust,and i fired her up and no more noise except out the tailpipe where it should be.i know i need a new set of headers but it sure sounds good,because i was worried something was wrong.i had called the machine shop where i got my engine put together at before i found the hole and i told him i might have a noise in my engine.he assured me nothing could be wrong.he told me to cut my oil filter up and look in it for medal.it was clean as a pin.i need to call and tell him i found a hole in my header
by all means,don't leave him hangin......call him and tell what you found the problem to be........... pop
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

i told him Pop,boy he is a good guy and a true blue fan BIGTIME.he has been bracket racing for 40 years and he has many points championships,all in quick badass fords.he is the go to guy in my area that everybody trusts.when my uncle would pay him for machine work,that guy wouldnt charge enough and my uncle could not get him to take any more money,so my uncle would throw money out the window as we were leaving so the guy would have to pick it up and keep it and on top of that he knows how to make a ford really run,or any make as far as that goes,even chevy and mopar guys trust his work.a good guy to know!
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THATS cool to have someone like that in your corner,I know 2 old guys that away,they can work on anything ,,but they both are FORD,,,,one is a old drag racer and the other is a dirt track racer,,,,,they were might I say....their bodies may be worn out from work but their minds are as sharp as a tack.................thanks,,,, OL POP !
pop/glenda