390 motors

390 & up cid Monster Motors
loman

Re: 390 motors

Post by loman »

Johno, the plan is a cheap budget nostalgia super stock . I need to be minimum in the 12's on a .25 index bracket. I'm hoping and guessing the 390 is stock bore since it is 1 owner and odometer is at15000 so probably 115000. We'll do a compression and leak down test in the near future to see what we have and go from there.

Andy, I'll take whatever advice I can get. I have never had a FE and this is all new to me.

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

Andy,i hate you had bad luck with the 4.13 bored 390.my engine shop says they turn 390s into 428s all the time,and rarely run into a 390 that cant safely be bored to 4.13.
fryedaddy
Image1966 caliente,428 4 speed,4.11 gears,nitrous,parachute

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Your right Fredaddy a lot of 390 blocks can be bored safely,but unfortunatley my block had some core shift and it cracked 3 cylinders after being bored to 4.13. Thats why I stated in my post a 390 should IMO be sonic tested. Looking back I should have paid for the sonic test because that motor was strong while it lasted. Andy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

with the topic 390 motors,the one thing that comes to my mind is,390 engines imo are one of the most reliable,longest lasting engines ever produced by any of the big 3.me and my dad have owned a few 390s and drove them to work every day,his wrecker had a 390 in it,it would do wheel stands pulling so hard.i drove my 390 comet to the beach in 1986 and my friend followed me in his 350 chevy nova.he used 5 more dollars gas than i did on the way there. it might not be no super quick drag motor but the 390 WAS one of the best ever all around engines ever built.
fryedaddy

caseville cyclone

Fryedaddy,here's a story for you,I traded my 1965 Comet Cyclone in for a new 1967 Galaxie fastback because a baby was on the way and we needed a bigger car. The car came with a 390, 2 barrel carb,automatic,no A/C,no power brakes,no power steering,it did have a radio. It was a heavy hardtop for sure. I put a set of Hooker headers on it,a 4:11 gear and recapped slicks. It ran a best of 15.4's with the 2 barrel on it and I would guess 3800 to 4000 pounds of weight. I've owned a few drag cars and it was the only one that I actually won any money with.LOL. This was back in 1970 in the 15 second bracket,we were racing for big bucks too,$30.00 to win and $15.00 for runner up. When I shook hands with the other racer and said good luck,he told me to enjoy my $15.00. That gave me a little extra incentive,along with the fact he was driving a Chrysler product which I hated. Back in 1970 we didn't have water boxes just a dry burnout. Because of the dial in I had to spot him and I had such a good light, I actually left the line before he did and won the $30.00. I was so excited you would have thought I had just won a WALLY at a NHRA meet. Ok this story was long enough,at 71 years old I have to go and take a nap after all this typing.
Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's a cool story,ANDY,my brother had the same GALAXIE,,WAS HARD TO CATCH on top end,,1967 was a good year for FORD CARS,I'll be 70 in may and all this postin has wore my butt out,,,,,gotta head for the recliner,,going to rewatch the nascar race and see FORD kick MORTAL BOOTY AGAIN :!: :D :) :wink: :!:
pop/glenda

caseville cyclone

Your right POPS go Ford. Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

caseville cyclone wrote:Your right POPS go Ford. Andy
POP is ate plum up with the ford fever.......I'd rather walk and carry a ford hub cap in the rain ,as to even ride in anything else...... :!: 8) :lol: :wink: :!: :!: :!: :!:
pop/glenda

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

great story Andy,i have a similar race story i will tell someday.Pop,its ford or nothing!!! im seriously thinking about getting a FOMOCO tattoo!
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

fryedaddy wrote:great story Andy,i have a similar race story i will tell someday.Pop,its ford or nothing!!! im seriously thinking about getting a FOMOCO tattoo!
GO FOR IT !!! I would,but I just don't want anything on me I can't remove when I get ready :shock: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

caseville cyclone

I can hardly get a flu shot,so I would say a tattoo is out of the question for me.LOL Maybe I'll just use a
Ford sticker. Andy

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

im not getting one,just kidding.nothing against tattoos,i know plenty of good people with them,my papaw was a baptist preacher for 30 years,best man i ever knew,and a ford man too,even he had one from when he was young,it was a strawberry,he was red headed and that was his nickname, but im 55 and i dont have any on me now,im kinda like Pop,i never wanted anything on me that i cant wash off.
fryedaddy

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

fryedaddy wrote:great story Andy,i have a similar race story i will tell someday.Pop,its ford or nothing!!! im seriously thinking about getting a FOMOCO tattoo!
Beat you to it Frye!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

fryedaddy

Post by fryedaddy »

Rocket989 wrote:
Beat you to it Frye!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:
everybody at work used to laugh at me because they would say that it dont matter what story someone tells,frye will top it. so look out Andy!!
fryedaddy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

we had a guy at work the same way,,he'd top what ever anyone said or told,,,,I told him one time ,,man you must be 120 yrs old to have done all you claim to have done ,,,we use to tell a lie and wait on him to top it..we called him WINDY,,yea,,we would make up stories and he'd out do us........dad gumest guy you ever hope to meet :shock: :lol:
pop/glenda