Header Question

390 & up cid Monster Motors
Flintlock

Header Question

Post by Flintlock »

Going to be ordering some new headers soon and need to ask you experts out there your opinion on the Metallic Ceramic Coated version that is offered. Do these hold up over time? I never have used them before and they are more expensive for sure. Just want to get opinions on if the extra show is worth the extra dough. How about the black painted ones? Do they hold up good?
Thanks!
Mark

Lip Ripper

Re: Header Question

Post by Lip Ripper »

In my opinion header paint falls off. I don't know why they sell headers with cheap paint. You can buy paint that will stay on in a spray can at the so-called parts store. I say that because the ignorance of today's counter people just pisses me off. It used to be the job of a seasoned counter pro. If it isn't in their software then it must not exist in todays world. Stay on track here you old redneck (speaking in 3rd party context). My ceramic headers look great after one year. I am sure that there are varying qualities of those too. They do caution you about using them on new builds because of the increased exhaust heat and other unknown variables with a new engine build. As for the lower under hood temps; I don't know. And I say that because my starter never suffered from exhaust heat before and it does now. My running temp can ran higher too but then again I added a stall converter and that could be contributing to the additional heat. In closing I will say that I am happy with my ceramic coated FPA headers.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

The 'BLACK' paint on most 'factory' headers is basically there to hold off rust while sitting waiting to be installed,it is NOT heat paint!! I use both VHT painted headers [home built for my race car],going on 6 seasons and Coated Headers on my 65 Wagon,so far they have only dealt with occasional running [car is not finished]!! ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Aussie Comet 1964

Post by Aussie Comet 1964 »

I have ceramic coated 3 sets of headers on my cars, not sure if its the same as the coating on the ones you are looking at but would be similar, it holds up well & surprising how much difference it makes to the heat radiated, they will not stay shiny, but still look better than the rusty look my old ones had, the ones on my comet which generates a lot of heat are just starting to come off in some spots after about 3-4 years & it gets raced & driven a lot & also in the rain, the headers on my wifes 34 hotrod the coating dulled but is still intact after about 10 years, the only place that rusts is where they cannot coat being a sprayed on process. John
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop 302cu C4 10.61 @ 126.68mph
1964 Comet Caliente 2DR hardtop project
1964 Fairlane 500 4 dr daily driver
1964 700 Mercury Truck
1964 Comet Ranchero

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

A lot depends on how rich or lean your fuel mixture is and how much back pressure your mufflers and system creates. Lean makes hotter exhaust, rich is cooler. Also with pipe size. Bigger pipes will run cooler and small pipes hotter. Factory exhaust systems are designed to create enough back pressure to get the exhaust system hot all the way out the back. This vaporizes the moisture that will be trapped in mufflers and low spots. Also, tailpipes get smaller to keep gasses that are cooling, moving at the same velocity all the way out. This actually reduces back pressure and keeps the temp up. Boring and lame, but true. Oversized exhaust systems that never really get HOT will rot off in no time. Trying to keep a truly efficient exhaust system from looking like a corncob, eventually, is tricky and expensive. Coatings, stainless, all, kind of, work. Everything is a compromise. I've seen cheap headers that looked good for years and expensive coated headers burned off in one day. Good chrome and stainless are the best IMO.

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

The Hooker Competition [not Super Comp] pipes I put on my 64 Cyclone looked good for about 18,000 miles with h pipe and 2'' cherry bombs then out the sides in front of the tires. The low spot in the mufflers rotted out and they were STILL cherry red.I redid it, only with better side pipes after the mufflers that step down to 1 3/4 ID. Mufflers get hotter and my header paint started to erode but I lost nothing in performance. It was about that time I started racing it and all I got by going to open headers over this system was maybe 1/2 mph and no difference in ET.

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

This is with a fairly stout 289. Where am I? Big Blocks? I think these lessons I learned still apply.