Input needed on reproduction dash

The Round Body, Finned Comets
rjones35

Re: Input needed on reproduction dash

Post by rjones35 »

bmmaurer wrote:
S22Comet63 wrote:You remove your garnish mouldings and carefully remove the stainless lower trim piece at the bottom of the pad, remove your A pillar trim, speaker grille etc etc... clean clean clean and dye the pad WITHOUT TRIMMING IT AS IT WILL SLIGHTLY SHRINK! It's right when the radio recess drops into place ... You need to remove the defroster ducts and the speaker grille.. if you've never done this I suggest you enlist someone with upholstery knowledge ... it's not that hard as we did many test fits and the finished product is awesome! It is extremely important to know yourbblimits and seekv assistance if unsure.. this pad literally drops in place with only slight TRIMMING! But don't trim the lower section till after the lower trim piece is in place! If you have Facebook join our group Mercury Comets and see the step by step process I posted..

And do NOT glue the new one in place. The trim will hold it secure and removal next time is easy.

Comet Bruce
Really? Removal next makes sense, but the instructions specify glueing it down. Seems like it would warp or something easier without glue?

rjones35

Re: Input needed on reproduction dash

Post by rjones35 »

Okay, I think I've said this before, but interior stuff is not my thing. Finally got around to installing the new dash pad. A little trimming, a couple broken off trim screws, but got it fitting okay, not a pro job by any means, but better than what was there. My original plan was to put it in, make sure it fits, take it back out paint it, and put it back and be done. But after fighting to get it in the first time, it's not coming back out. Ever. By me any way. I did not glue it, so it will be easier next time. I still need to put the piece of trim that goes along the bottom of the pad back in. I'm not sure how you're supposed to do it, finding the holes blind under the pad and poking the clips through all of them. Right now I need to get some new clips for that piece because mine evidently have lost their spring and won't hold anymore. Where can I get those??? O looked on Macs and falconparts, and somewhere else.....
So after I find those, then I can put that piece back somehow, and trim the bottom of the new pad, THEN I'm done.