The Round Body, Finned Comets
dmeadows

63 Comet Custom

Post by dmeadows »

Just picked up a new ride in OH

63 Comet Custom
260 v8
Auto Merc-O-Matic Transmission

I'm pretty excited about this purchase. The interior is a total mess, but the body is in great shape and the engine runs strong. Longterm plans involve a C4 swap, new interior, and maybe restoring the car to its original color.

I am especially excited about this comet because my grandfather raced the exact same car back in the day. He pulled the 260 and dropped in a 289 and made a name for himself in the local area. Here is his car:

1965 Comet Caliente, 289 V8, 4 speed manual
1963 Comet Custom, 260 V8, 2 speed auto

lavron
Site Admin

Re: 63 Comet Custom

Post by lavron »

It does look like a nice one, can't wait to see your end results. What was the original color?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

79Bird

Post by 79Bird »

Nice!!
1963-1/2 Mercury Comet Hardtop
1972 GMC Suburban 3/4T / 4 Speed / 4x4
1979 Pontiac Trans Am 400/4 Speed
1994 Ford Mustang 302 / 3550 / 70mm Turbo

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

That's a nice one for sure....good luck and you make your grd-father PROUD.............POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Way to go Dylan.

Note the size of the front tires. Does anyone know why? Don (his grandfather) told me that gained him a tenth. He also staggered the caster from positive on one side and negative on the other. It made total sense, keeping the beam broken longer would pick up the tenth on the big end.

I learned so much from Don. His garage was a half block down the street from where I grew up. I remember when I brought my 62 home to restore; he looked, his thought's were distant, then he said boy that brings back memories.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

That's a good looking car, and I know it's very special to you. Have fun with the restore, and keep us posted with lots of pics.
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Yep, That looks like a sweetie pie! A good body is like gold! the interior is easy. Really nice find!!! :D
Johno

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Sportster Coupe... Awesome!

dmeadows

Post by dmeadows »

lavron wrote:It does look like a nice one, can't wait to see your end results. What was the original color?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike,

I believe the color was Blue Satin Metallic

When I brought her home, all my dad could say was "wow", over and over again. It was quite the bit of nostalgia for him as well. I can't wait to see my grandfather's reaction when I take it out to see him.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

ALMOST as nice as the Convertible... :-)

mopar 346

Post by mopar 346 »

Awesome, love the family connection. My S-22 is Sultana White and as much as I love the way it looks I think the blue would look great and be more unique. Enjoy the car and the build. I agree with John, vinyl is easy metal is hard better to start with a solid body.
Careful your character's showing!

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

So it was and will be the color of Don's old car?

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

dmeadows

Post by dmeadows »

Lip Ripper wrote:So it was and will be the color of Don's old car?

Stacey
Thats the plan!

-Rudy-

Post by -Rudy- »

dmeadows wrote:
lavron wrote:It does look like a nice one, can't wait to see your end results. What was the original color?

See Ya,
Mike

Mike,

I believe the color was Blue Satin Metallic

When I brought her home, all my dad could say was "wow", over and over again. It was quite the bit of nostalgia for him as well. I can't wait to see my grandfather's reaction when I take it out to see him.
Man, those HTs are slick lookin cars.

I myself love the blue satin metallic color. I'm planning on respraying my car in either that or presidential black. Something about dark colors that make these cars look even more classy than usual.
1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2-Door Sedan
170/2-Speed Auto

loman

Post by loman »

Sweet looking little 63' hardtop.

Lip Ripper wrote:Way to go Dylan.

Note the size of the front tires. Does anyone know why? Don (his grandfather) told me that gained him a tenth. He also staggered the caster from positive on one side and negative on the other. It made total sense, keeping the beam broken longer would pick up the tenth on the big end.

I learned so much from Don. His garage was a half block down the street from where I grew up. I remember when I brought my 62 home to restore; he looked, his thought's were distant, then he said boy that brings back memories.

Stacey

The taller tire will increase the roll out of the staging beams. That is having the same effect as you mentioned by the staggering of the caster. That is the first time I have ever heard of that. As for front tire size, it's quite common now to select a tire size to optimize your roll out for reaction times. Back in the day when everything was heads up, racers would try everything to get the best time and mph in the 1/4. Nowadays, bracket racing is all about consistency and reaction times.