Need Emergency Brake Cable

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Flip

Need Emergency Brake Cable

Post by Flip »

We have just about completed a total restoration of a 1963 Mercury Comet Custom 2 Dr. Hardtop Coupe; however we are striking out on getting the right emergency brake cable than runs from the front to the rear brakes. We have tried Ecklers which is also Dearborn Classics and Mac's to no avail. We have the cable installed that runs from the driver's side to the front, but the second cable is the problem. The last two cables had a good overall length, about 152 inches but the problem is how the ends that go to the rear brakes are configured...meaning that the cable housing at each end (that go to the rear brakes) need to be about 32.5 inches each. The last cable we returned had the cable housing at about 30 inches, which is too short. We don't want to modify the car underneath to accommodate cables that are not the right fit. A rough measurement of the overall length would be 32.5 X 2 for both cable housings and about 84 inches for the length running to the front...so overall length around 149 inches or so. It's just that the length of the cable housing is the issue as on end of each housing goes to the rear tires and the other end fits into a bracket (for each housing) that we do not want to reposition. Anybody know of a possible source for such?

poboyjo65

Re: Need Emergency Brake Cable

Post by poboyjo65 »

Sounds like 63 hardtops have an odd ball set up, if I understand you correctly. The listing at Obsolete parts pg 36, jumps all around a 63 comet hardtop, but doesnt list one.
http://www.classicautopartsonlinecatalo ... con&from=2
& melvins list one for a 63 falcon, but falcons have I think a 5'' shorter wheel base .
http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll ... Z50001018a

I dont know why one for a 64 or 65 comet wouldn't fit,63 is same wheelbase as 64 & 65 comet AFAIK, unless like you mentioned, the rear mounts were in different places.

The cables that you tried were too long ,I presume? but if you found one that was too short you could remedy it easily with a longer adjustment rod at the equilizer. it could be easily made from a pc of all-thread or something, or make the old rod longer. I have seen someone somewhere do this but cant remember which forum it was on.

one other back yard remedy for a cable that is too long would be to put a small loop in each side, fastened with small cable-clamps to shorten the cable, maybe close to the rear.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

On many cables the ends are brazed onto the ends. Wouldn't be to hard to desolder the ends, shorten the cable then rebraze the ends on where they fit the best. Start with a cable longer than needed.
Ron

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Is your body code 62B or 63B ? It should be one of those.

The 62B (2 dr sedan custom) and The 63B (2 dr hardtop) uses two different cables one for 6 cylinder and one for 8 cylinder.

6 cylinder C3GY-2A635-D Green sales shows one in stock... http://www.rearcounter.com/C3GY-2A635-D-parts47237.html
Leave out dashes when entering part number

8 cylinder C3GY-2A635-C Can't find a supplier

Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks for the info.

I did find a place in Michigan that says they can make a cable to our specs. and ship it out the same day. My restoration
guy likes that idea the best as this job has worn everyone thin.

I really appreciate all the feedback and effort looking for me.

Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks everyone for responding. I had hoped to document the restoration of
the Comet on this forum, but apparently I am not mentally capable to get
images to this site. I have always selected and dragged images to show,
so my Imac and some of the other sites have spoiled me...but when the
car is street-ready, which should be very soon, I will get someone over
here to help me post images.

Thank you again. This is a great group!

The Comet is a 2 dr. hardtop....originally with a 260...now
we have a 302 in it.

Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks everyone for responding. I had hoped to document the restoration of
the Comet on this forum, but apparently I am not mentally capable to get
images to this site. I have always selected and dragged images to show,
so my Imac and some of the other sites have spoiled me...but when the
car is street-ready, which should be very soon, I will get someone over
here to help me post images.

Thank you again. This is a great group!

The Comet is a 2 dr. hardtop....originally with a 260...now
we have a 302 in it.

bmmaurer

Post by bmmaurer »

Use this web site to load your pictures, then use the link generated to post your photos. Such as This...

http://imgur.com/

Flip

Post by Flip »

Thanks...will be taking pics very, very soon...and will give it a try....

raceron1120

Post by raceron1120 »

I know this is an old thread but just logged on recently, usually spend time on the Ford Barn or HAMB but now with my second '64 Comet. . . here I am. Hey just wondering if anyone has found a good source for the rear park brake cable yet - Part # C3GY-2A635-C? Or a suitable/interchangeable substitute for it? Thanks!

raceron1120

Post by raceron1120 »

FOUND - Melvin's Classic Ford Parts now has these cables. Ordered on today (10 June 2019)