Anybody ever use a short shackle on the rear?

The Round Body, Finned Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Anybody ever use a short shackle on the rear?

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lip Ripper wrote:Are you talking about spring/shock plates? I have an 8.8. Thanks just the same though. I really appreciate it.

Stacey
Yea , u-bolt plates with shock mounts that go under the leafs. but would they work just the same for any rear end? I was thinking you were going to drill a new pattern 1'' back & a new hole for the centering bolt.
Johno

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I think the axle tube on the Exploder rear-end is thicker than the 8" so the holes would be different for the U-bolts. I'm still beer thinkin on what I'll do.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Can I hijack this thread for a minute??

Getting ready to install my new leafsprings and shackles this weekend, is there a trick to putting in the upper shackle bushings? I just did a quick trial fit a while ago and the bushings fit the frame and shackles, but trying to put the bushing in the hole while it's on the shackle wasn't happening. It was expanded just enough I guess. it would go in about 1/2 way. Thanks!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

rjones35 wrote:Can I hijack this thread for a minute??

Getting ready to install my new leafsprings and shackles this weekend, is there a trick to putting in the upper shackle bushings? I just did a quick trial fit a while ago and the bushings fit the frame and shackles, but trying to put the bushing in the hole while it's on the shackle wasn't happening. It was expanded just enough I guess. it would go in about 1/2 way. Thanks!
I used a floor jack under the chunk, I could do both sides like that. I actually got pretty good at it from doing it so much. I would have the car up on tall stands so I could roll the rear end in & out with the tires on it, then jack up the chunk section until spring eyes touched the frame jack until the space is right & slide the shackle in both spring & frame bushings, then put the other side of the bushing on. one at a time, jacking as needed. It always seemed kinda different ever time but make the jack do the work is the main thing. then getting the outer part of the shackle ,same thing make the jack do the work, & make the beer wait until your done or done for the night on this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be safe , watch jacking so much that you lift the car off the stands!!!!
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lip Ripper wrote:I think the axle tube on the Exploder rear-end is thicker than the 8" so the holes would be different for the U-bolts. I'm still beer thinkin on what I'll do.
Ok,my bad, I thought you said you were drilling new holes, 1'' back anyway & could make them fit what ever, put them where you want them.
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:
rjones35 wrote:Can I hijack this thread for a minute??

I used a floor jack under the chunk, I could do both sides like that. I actually got pretty good at it from doing it so much. I would have the car up on tall stands so I could roll the rear end in & out with the tires on it, then jack up the chunk section until spring eyes touched the frame jack until the space is right & slide the shackle in both spring & frame bushings, then put the other side of the bushing on. one at a time, jacking as needed. It always seemed kinda different ever time but make the jack do the work is the main thing. then getting the outer part of the shackle ,same thing make the jack do the work, & make the beer wait until your done or done for the night on this one. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just be safe , watch jacking so much that you lift the car off the stands!!!!

I got it all in pieces now. I thought I had the right stuff before I started. Rearend is sitting on jackstands, one spring has the front bolt in. I was hoping I could maybe use the Jack under the spring to hold it up to get the shackle installed, but that upper bushing just seems like it'll be a butt kicker.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I think I did it every way you can. but for me rolling it all out & in as a unit was the easiest. anyway you do it, the leaf will need jacking up against the frame I think, to get it long enough to reach, unless you have a football team handy !! :lol:
Johno

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

poboyjo65 wrote:I think I did it every way you can. but for me rolling it all out & in as a unit was the easiest. anyway you do it, the leaf will need jacking up against the frame I think, to get it long enough to reach, unless you have a football team handy !! :lol:
Ha!! Okay, thanks. I'll tackle it this weekend, should be fun!