The Round Body, Finned Comets
rjones35

Re: Export brace

Post by rjones35 »

Thanks Pop!! I appreciate it!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

A tube or cylinder has the most strength for the cross-sectional area of any other shape when it comes to bending. The factory welded braces or bolt-in export braces are plenty strong, but it's because of the rounded ridges that are stamped into them. You can get the same strength from a tubular bar with a much smaller cross-section, saving weight and space without sacrificing strength. When it comes to pressure, a sphere is the strongest shape, followed by a cylinder with hemispherical ends. Pressure does not like right angles. :shock:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

what I was trying to point out is that he doesn't have a monte carlo bar & his tubes are basically on hinges so is no help for the towers flexing in toward the engine or away from it at the top. Anyone who has had the one piece export brace in his hands knows it is stiff & will help on the side to side flexing of the towers & aprons even without a monte carlo bar. flex can lead to fatigue & cracks but under normal driving he will probably be ok . but if wanted to autocross or do some hard cornering he could add a monte carlo bar to his setup & be plenty stout. in other words I'm not talking shapes of the braces but placement of the braces. [JMO !!!]
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're absolutely right. I was thinking in terms of the strength of tubes compared to stamped steel. I wasn't thinking in terms of him essentially having a hinge on both ends of the rods. :roll: They'll stop flex front to rear, but not side to side. A Monte Carlo bar would tie it all together and prevent the side to side flex. John 1, Jim :oops:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Jim I should have said that they are not as much help instead of no help, because they do help some,since they are on angles, just not as much .but he doesn't have room for an export brace & not worth changing if he did [IMO] but I think we all agree that a monte carlo bar & belly bar ties it all together for the best & stoutest configuration. Not to mention it's great to lean on! It's worth it just for leaning ! I think Rocket wants a beverage holder on his :lol:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Certainly anytime you can triangulate things it will make them tons stronger (that is not an exact amount, I ain't no engineer) that is why the monte carlo adds so much to the equation.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:A tube or cylinder has the most strength for the cross-sectional area of any other shape when it comes to bending. The factory welded braces or bolt-in export braces are plenty strong, but it's because of the rounded ridges that are stamped into them. You can get the same strength from a tubular bar with a much smaller cross-section, saving weight and space without sacrificing strength. When it comes to pressure, a sphere is the strongest shape, followed by a cylinder with hemispherical ends. Pressure does not like right angles. :shock:
Jim
Ok 2 more beers and I MIGHT understand what in the heck you said Jim!! :shock:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Make it three, and you won't care. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Y'all sound like Cliff & Norm on cheers! :D
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Make it three, and you won't care. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim
:lol:
Right on Jim! I made it 6 and you're totally right!! :lol:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Jim I should have said that they are not as much help instead of no help, because they do help some,since they are on angles, just not as much .but he doesn't have room for an export brace & not worth changing if he did [IMO] but I think we all agree that a monte carlo bar & belly bar ties it all together for the best & stoutest configuration. Not to mention it's great to lean on! It's worth it just for leaning ! I think Rocket wants a beverage holder on his :lol:
Missed this - it's gonna get done...a "cup" holder on the MC bar and a neat jack puck like yours on the belly bar. Not a priorities but they're on the list(s)!! :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket that jack puck is the handiest thing I have done to the car! I love it! all cars should have it! I might consider a cup holder but it would have to be able to slide. I have leaned on the mc bar all way across,so a stationary cup holder would get in the way sooner or later.
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Mount it on a gimble, too, in case you forget and leave your beer in it when you close the hood. That way it won't slosh all over the engine while your driving around until the next time you raise the hood and say "THAT'S where I left it!" :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

A cup holder would have to have AC refrigerant cool it too, unless you are talking a hot beverage :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hehehe..."What the heck is THAT?" "A, uh...well, it's a $358 dollar, ball bearing, 3-axis, active-cooled bee...err, cup holder...and it's worth EVERY last red cent it cost!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)