steering column removal help

The Round Body, Finned Comets
primal1

steering column removal help

Post by primal1 »

i have looked on google but can only find it on later models. i need help removing my steering column out of my steering box.

poboyjo65

Re: steering column removal help

Post by poboyjo65 »

It is part of the box. you have to remove box & all. You can take the steering wheel & the column tube off but the shaft goes from steering wheel all the way down & into the box.

Why are you taking it off?
Johno

primal1

Post by primal1 »

converting to ridetech suspension and putting in a 200 turned into emptying the engine bay to paint it satin black.

primal1

Post by primal1 »

and while Im here, might as well put in a tilt wheel..

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

primal1 wrote:converting to ridetech suspension and putting in a 200 turned into emptying the engine bay to paint it satin black.
Back when I was in Project Management in Engineering and Construction, that was what was known as "scope creep". :lol:
Jim

primal1

Post by primal1 »

any tips? jim, i love your cyclone. i would like to find one of those.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

You should be able to unhook the shift linkage (if applicable), remove steering wheel & stuff, unbolt the column bracket under the dash, and yank it out. There's a rubber seal on the end that can get crusted up on the input shaft.

To remove the steering box (after disconnecting the pitman arm) there are three bolts holding the box to the frame rail...take those out and remove from the under the car. It's gotta be jacked up a decent amount to give clearance. Oh yeah, remove the vent control or choke bracket (can't remember WTF it is) that holds the p-brake assembly in place. That'll especially help with re-installation since the shaft has to aim towards driver door to get it rotated into place to bolt back up.

ETA - with no motor in there, it's easy-peasy!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

primal1 wrote:jim, i love your cyclone. i would like to find one of those.
Thanks. There's a lot I want to do to it. Hopefully, I'll start a build thread before long. She looks OK from 20 feet, but there's a lot I want to do mechanically. Looking forward to it. :D
Jim