Steering Gear Box

The Round Body, Finned Comets
arnie123

Steering Gear Box

Post by arnie123 »

I have a 62 comet 6 cyl and manual steering. The steering has lots of slop in the gear box. (no adjustment left) I mentioned this to a friend at the local junk yard. He found a gear box, part no c6zr-3550a. the tag is: HCC AW 6F15B. i looked it up on line and found its probably from a 66 mustang with power steering. the ratio is the same for manual or power steering. the only diff i can see is the pitman arm is longer on my car (two holes)then the one on the replacement gear box (one hole), the junk yard unit has a long one piece shaft. can i use this in my 62 comet ?

comethead

Re: Steering Gear Box

Post by comethead »

PS gearboxes had a faster ratio than MS boxes. I believe MS were 19:1 and PS 16:1. Turn both those boxes lock to lock and the PS box should have fewer turns.
I think the only issues you may have are the sector shaft diameter; yours is 1" and the Mustang may be 1 1/8" diameter. That means your pitman arm may not fit the Mustang box, and the Mustang pitman arm might not have the right geometry for your steering.
Also, the length of the Mustang input shaft (the long one) may be too long for your car. You could cut it and have it re-splined/re-threaded. Or shorten it and use a coupler from Speedway.
Maybe an easy way out is to rebuild yours.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: Steering Gear Box

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

66 Mustang is 1 inch, late in 67 switched to 1 1/8th"
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry