How do YOU install winshield?, 62 comet

The Round Body, Finned Comets
TxPowderCoater

How do YOU install winshield?, 62 comet

Post by TxPowderCoater »

do you put the glass in the rubber then wrap a thin rope around the rubber in the groove and then nestle the rubber on the metal strip and pull the rope and push on rubber to get it over the ridge

oooor

do you install rubber in car frame and then install rope in glass trough and then nestle glass in bottom trough and use rope to pull and work glass into the rubber as you go around?

I have front and rear glass to put in, well actually, it all started with needing a new headliner so I am going to do that then the glass.
Thanks tons!
The Art of Custom Powder Coating
www.YourPowderCoating.com
832-818-3905

Lip Ripper

Re: How do YOU install winshield?, 62 comet

Post by Lip Ripper »

A not B
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I've heard on the BACK window that you also put the stainless steel trim in the rubber seal BeFORE you install the glass. Is this true? :?: :?:
Johno

Boss/Cyclone
Site Admin
Location: South Central Michigan (Near Michigan International Speedway)

Re: How do YOU install windshield?, 62 comet

Post by Boss/Cyclone »

I do the first one. Second way sounds like a good way to break the windshield.
1965 Mercury Cyclone former drag car, 1971 Boss 351 engine, 4 speed, ladder bars, etc. Now returned to a street car.
Larry

TxPowderCoater

Post by TxPowderCoater »

poboyjo65 wrote:I've heard on the BACK window that you also put the stainless steel trim in the rubber seal BeFORE you install the glass. Is this true? :?: :?:
oh dang! something else to raise the level of difficulty! :D Can anybody confirm this? I will look at the rubber and stainless tomorrow and see how it looks.
832-818-3905

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

I know on the Datsun that was true. Installed the stainless using blue painter tape. Once installed, slide the whole thing over the glass.. Once that was in, drop in the rope, then dropped the whole thing in the frame..

As long as the stainless is reasonably close to the correct shape, it's not as bad as it sounds..lol
'63 Comet Hardtop

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I tried to put the trim on with the back window already installed, I gave up. an old body man told me to put the trim on the rubber before putting the window in.
If this is true, then its better to inquire about it before hand, right ?
Johno

TxPowderCoater

Post by TxPowderCoater »

poboyjo65 wrote:I tried to put the trim on with the back window already installed, I gave up. an old body man told me to put the trim on the rubber before putting the window in.
If this is true, then its better to inquire about it before hand, right ?
The rubber I have and the trim I have for the rear window both show the trim goes on after the glass install. the trim has wedge shapes on the back that basically screws down to the body and rest against the rubber and body, henceforth tilting the trim and holding it at the correct angle.

the Front window rubber has a groove for the trim and the trim definitely has a tab that runs the perimeter of the trim that obviously is used to hold the trim onto/into the rubber. I dont know if it has to be pushed in after the glass is put in the rubber and then the rope and then the whole mess sits in the frame or does the windshield gets installed and then the trim gets pushed into the rubber groove......anybody done this? speak up! :D
832-818-3905

auto doug

Post by auto doug »

just finshed installing new glass and rubber, 1st rubber around glass, insert thin rope in the inside grove overlap the ends (center bottom) and tape to the inside windshield so you can grab them when ready to rope it in. Then insert stainless in the out side groves but not the two upper corners yet they go on later, use bedding and glazzing compound 3m product place small bead in the corner of the windshield opening on the car, have some one help set assembly on top of windshield opening pinch weld, with one person slightly applying persure on the outside one person can then grab thin rope and pull upward slightly from inside and watch the rubber slip over the pinch weld. Make sure the other person pushes down slightly as well, do one side then the other then up around the sides and then top. Seat it by lightly tapping the glass all the way around, and then from inside push the rubber to seat on the pinch weld, then apply more glazzing compound deep inside the gap, replace the two screws in the corners, slip the end caps back on carefully. set in sun and ever so lightly tap around again. You can apply a smooth bead of black silicone around the out seat area now but mask the area off first and squeeze it in good and smooth with your finger wipe off excess and your done. appx 1 hour time.

Doug

rjones35

Post by rjones35 »

Its on my long list of things to do to mine. I'll probably be buggin you when I get to it!