62 comet, Miata Drivetrain Build

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Lip Ripper

Re: 62 comet, Miata Drivetrain Build

Post by Lip Ripper »

Those front fenders came out really nice. And the hub cap idea.

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Lip Ripper wrote:Those front fenders came out really nice. And the hub cap idea.

LR
I agree and the whole thing shows a heck of a talent,in metal working...pop
pop/glenda

RCMike

Post by RCMike »

I really like this whole thing!

Grafting in the rear sub to get independent rear is awesome..
'63 Comet Hardtop

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Cut some metal out of the trunk and turned a flange so it goes all the way around the trunk. This will allow for a modern foam seal shown. Junk yard part $2
Finished the spare tire carrier and painted it. Again a junk yard part. This one came from a nissan minivan. $8
Trimmed the tank and popped a hole in it. You can also see the foam doughnut that seals it from the exterior
ImageImageImage

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

I re arranged some of the pics in my album so it killed the links. Your welcome to see them all here

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/dimmwa ... t=3&page=1

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

FRIEND,you do some awsom work,that spare tire carrier is kick ass,I kid you not...AT the COMET GATHERNING we were talking about your project.you for sure have a talent...thank you for sharing your work........POP
pop/glenda

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

I've been wondering about your project and just about made a post this morning for an update. You blow me away man,

LR
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Lookin good! Nice spare tire rack. Did I miss something? Wheres the gas tank gonna be?

Keep posting pics~

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Ojohnny

Post by Ojohnny »

This has been one of my favorite threads, keep up the good work Mr. Dimmwat.

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Looks like I either lost the gas tank post or never made one....Here you go. Its the miata tank, in a much safer than stock location. Filler compartment seals to the trunk and has a drain tube that will empty out the bottom of the car.

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Long 4th weekend. I got all the engine and trans seals replace and put them back together. Then dropped it in the car

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

[QUOTE=prb;6451674]The best for overall performance would be to pull cold air from outside the engine compartment. Hot air = less HP.[/QUOTE]

I agree. How about this. I'll fab this piece in metal. weld it to the mesh around the foam and use some foam on the edge where it meets the inner wheel well. Then punch a hole in the inner wheel well.

I also did the fuel lines. I was able to use the stock miata lines with only 8" or so of additional HP fuel line regardless of the nearly 25" of additional length required. The miata has a ton of unneeded twists and turns that I was able to straighten out to get the length I needed. You may also notice in these pics that I ran the speedo cable and installed the throttle cable.

Punched some holes in the floor, used grommets and vac hose combo to protect the lines. The rubber line here is the return line. the metal line is the feed.

Had to make 1 bracket for the fuel line. Its the aluminum one seen coming off the trans.

Here you can see the relocation of the filter and you may also notice its a bit different. I used this one because I didnt think the bent lines of the original were going to work out for me.

HONK

YukonCor55

Post by YukonCor55 »

Incredible build...I'm speechless!!
A.J.

63 Comet S-22, 63 Falcon Futura Convertible, 62 Falcon Ranch Wagon

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Dual tips. I started by drilling 2 holes with a hole saw. Then scribed a line 1/2 inch in and slowly worked the bumper flande inward.

All the following are pics of the exhaust fab. Its all just tacked right now. Finish welding it tomorrow.

Dimmwatt

Post by Dimmwatt »

Painted the intake hammer black. Also built a new shok tower brace as the last one had interferance with he intake. Thats what i get for fabbing it with busted, sagging motor mounts.

Also mounted the rad, plumbed trans lines and ac lines

Hows this for cold air intake? Through the wheel well metal to a 90 then out the front. I used a 90 from intercooler pipe i had laying around, turned a flange on it, popped a hole in the rad support, then screwed it home.