Ignition Switch Removal

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Polara Pat

Ignition Switch Removal

Post by Polara Pat »

My '62 didn't come with any keys so I was planning on buying a new keyed switch from ebay or something. Is there a trick to getting the switch out of the dash? I'Ve been trying for quite a while but can't figure it out.

Thanks, Pat

B_Hix

Re: Ignition Switch Removal

Post by B_Hix »

Hi Pat - take a look at the link below. I'm in the process of doing this myself, but the face of mine was installed wrong, or has rotate over time so the paper clip can;t be inserted. I had to order a new key cylinder. Once it arrives I'll have to tear the face off the silly thing to be able to press the detent.

Video should answer all your questions though - good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgRxxU-0OA
67 Comet
No power steering, 4-wheel drum brakes, 5 gears 'n' 400 + horsepower...
...hell yea it's fun

Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

B_Hix wrote:Hi Pat - take a look at the link below. I'm in the process of doing this myself, but the face of mine was installed wrong, or has rotate over time so the paper clip can;t be inserted. I had to order a new key cylinder. Once it arrives I'll have to tear the face off the silly thing to be able to press the detent.

Video should answer all your questions though - good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqgRxxU-0OA
Thanks for the quick response. I guess my conundrum is that I don't have a key so I can't turn the switch to accessory and release the tumbler.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

** head scrathcin ** Havn't had to deal with that pickle yet, sorry, I missed that. I'll wait and see what soemone else has to offer
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

I drilled it out. It actually went pretty good and I was planning on replacing the tumbler anyways. I just figured there would be some back door secret trick. Apparently not.

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Glad you got it - I was curious too as I still have to get mine out. Though I have keys I cant press the detent. I may have tO do something similar
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun

Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

B_Hix wrote:Glad you got it - I was curious too as I still have to get mine out. Though I have keys I cant press the detent. I may have tO do something similar
In my initial quest to remove the switch without a key I discovered that if you reach behind the ignition switch (you need to be lying on the pedals) I could compress the spring inside the housing and rotate the tumbler portion in really small increments. It took quite a bit of pressure but it may be enough to realign your tumbler so the small pin hole is aligned and you can pop yours out.

Or just drill the SOB and call it done.

Good luck

B_Hix

Post by B_Hix »

Polara Pat wrote:Or just drill the SOB and call it done. Good luck
Waiting on the replacement to get here and one way or the other.... :mrgreen:
67 Comet
...hell yea it's fun