63 Comet 2 dr hard top 260 4speed

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Tbart

Re: 63 Comet 2 dr hard top 260 4speed

Post by Tbart »

Every time I get too carried away in mixed company about the greatness of Fords, my girl Shelly [the one with the baby possums] tells the story of her first new car. A Ford Elite from 1977 I think. Everything that could possibly go wrong, did. Oh yeah, she LOVES to jump into the conversation with that one.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Glenda 's uncle bought a brand new 74 torino,,it was the biggest headache,,the dealership kept it more then he did,,so he cuss"s ford cars but still drives a ford truck.and he does the same thing to me when there is a bunch of us around .....pop
pop/glenda

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

popscomet wrote:
Rarerat wrote:
popscomet wrote:WELL,POP has a screw loose,,,,I wouldn't spite in your ear if your damn brains were on FIRE for anything GM ever built and you call your self a true blue FORD fan ?? who really has the screw loose..your just a wanna be true FORD FAN......POP

Pop,
I figured I had maybe upset a few people with that post when I originally posted it & included the pictures as the silence was deafening. I edited it and removed all the pictures a couple months back as I am not here to cause trouble or bruise egos. :roll: Yes I do own 4 classic Chevys, but I also own two FOMOCO products, & love them just as much as my mean old nasty Chevrolets. Gee... If I told you I also drive a Dodge truck every day will that make me even more of a bad guy?? :wink:

All joking aside, I am sorry you feel that way, I feel it's a little short sided, but it's 100% your right.. so rant on.. I just really hope if I am ever on fire, your not the only guy around with a fire extinguisher. :D
EVERY THING is cool ,man....I just threw that post out there to see if I could get a RISE out of someone,,OL' POP don't care what you own build or drive,,,,POP is a 100% died in the wool a FORD man,but I don't exspect every one to be like me..after all thats what makes this hobby so great....I like for other people to build other brands ,,that way it saves more FORDS for me to try and get my hands on !AND if you ever catch on fire ,you can depend on OL POP to throw the 1st bucket of water your way......and just for kickers..my oldest grd son is building a IMCA dirt track car out in my shop as we post and it will be powered by a bow tie,,but he has a sponser for his motors,they are free to him,when 1 blows ,,he goes and turns it in and picks up another one..his other race car is a ford and a local FORD dealership helps sponser's it. have a great day and good luck with your hot rods.....POP
lol.. Thanks glad to hear that as I have been know to spontaneously combust from time to time. :D I guess you could predominantly call me a Chevy guy but I still love them all, Fords, Chevys & even the Mopars. :shock: I have owned a bunch of Fords over the years and cant say I have ever hated any of them, in fact my biggest regret with cars was selling a 39 Ford Coupe I built it in the late 80's and got stupid and let it go in 2000. There is not a day that goes by that I dont regret that dumb decision. :cry: My old 68 SSRS 396 Camaro is probably my favorite car because I have owned it 35 years and had more fun and got into more trouble than one guy ever deserves with the old car. I am finishing up a 5 year restoration on it and hope to be driving it this spring. it will will eventually go to my oldest daughter, who by the way drives a Mustang right now. 8) Moving forward, I will keep the Brand X chatter to a minimum. I got a pretty good public flogging several years ago an a ford truck site when I tried to share a 56 Ford truck project I was building. Talk about going from "Hero to Zero" I had a an old rusty beat to death F250 that I shortened the bed & frame to make it look like a F100. it was all fine until I stubbed the front end with a 72 Camaro front clip, rear end and went with a SBC/auto. :shock: Holy Crap you would have thought I burned down Dearborn. :roll: I figured people would have appreciated the fact the truck got saved and maybe enjoyed the build but some acted like they would have rather it been crushed, which is where it was headed before I drug it home.

Anyhow dont hate on all us Chevy guys we're not all bad. :wink:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I would have crushed the 56 ford,,front clip maybe,but for sure not chevy powered.You make me think about the old man that puts on his pants,then puts on a belt,then puts a pair of suspenders on,,he don't have much faith in either one,,but on the other hand,,,,he always has a back up ! :shock: :roll: :lol: POP had his on car lot before he was 21,,I got a 65 plymouth fury 2dr sedan,with a 225 slant 6 with 3spd on the column,,in on trade ,GLENDA drove it a couple of times and came in and said she wanted that car,so she got it.That was one of the best and most dependable rides a person could ever hope to drive,back then MPG wasn't a thing,but she would forget the last time she ever put gas in it.IT took me awhile but I finaly got her out of it,,I sold it !!made good money on it ....but in all honesty it was a jam up ride.and I have the same HAUNT for selling my 67fairlane 2drht SBF 4spd as you do over your 39.....best of luck with your bow ties,,all is cool POP 8) :D
pop/glenda

Tbart

Post by Tbart »

Yeah, Shelly badmouths Fords just to yank my chain, but she has a 78 Bronco with about 20,000 miles on it that she inherited from her mom. She has a 2 mile driveway that is pretty tough in winter. She will NEVER let it go. She will brag about that Bronco to anyone but me.

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Well it's been a couple of years and the poor old Comet just sat out in the backyard collecting critters. I had really hoped too get to do something with it after I finished my 68 SSRS 396 Camaro restoration but I never got to it. Last year I ended up building another 67 Camaro and have since sold it & freed up a little cash. :) I am now currently in between projects so I spent a little time this afternoon and drug the 63 out of its dirt tomb. lol.. Its the same old story.. it was running when I parked it, but now theres no brakes, the gas in the tank is so bad it wont run, & when I finally did get it to run the carb now leaks like a siv from every orifice. I had to use a small water bottle for a temp fuel tank just to even get it start.

Well for years I've had big plans to do a full restoration on this car but now I am thinking I may go a different route with it. I just want too make it run & drive so we can enjoy the car. I'll fix the body and paint it and just clean up the interior. I would like to add some Torque thrust style wheels and then just try & enjoy the car for what it is. I have too many other pressing things to go crazy on this car for the foreseeable future and the longer the poor old girl just sat out in the backyard under the carport the worse she was looking. After owning it for 7 years, I guess it's time to either $hit of get off the pot with this poor old car. lol..

So anyway here are a few new pics of the car I took today...

I loaded on my trailer and hauled it to the carwash & tried to wash off the 9 million spiders and most of the sand off the car before putting it in my garage.

My new high tech fuel cell. lol...

I had shoved a 215x70x14 tire under the passenger side rear on a 14x6 rally wheel and it rubbed to bad just driving the car a few yards across the yard I had to yank it back off and put the stock wheel back on.

Here is an old torque thrust style wheel i shoved on the ass end with a random old 75 series tire I had that just barely clears the fender lip. :shock:

Anyhow thats it for now, I guess if I get side tracked and end up not touching it for another couple of years.. at least it's indoors now. :wink:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Restored cars are nice & look better, but demand more maintenance & aren't as fun or comfortable as a decent or nice driver. :D
Johno

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

I agree, I get so nuts if I even hit a wet spot on the road with a couple of my other cars that I just don't even want to go there with this one. This was my wife's grandmothers car and I know deep down she would have just wanted us to get out & drive it. The motor doesn't sound bad, so I think a good tune up along with a carb kit and it should be good to go.. The gas tank needs to come out and be cleaned as well as the brakes need a good once over. I need to find some partial quarters to fix the rust in the rear panels and for sure a new, or at least new to me rear bumper. I bet I can straiten the front bumper so it should be ok. There is some rust in the front fender aprons that needs fixed but it looks like it would be pretty easy to fix. My father in law told me his dad had welded something in the front suspension, Idler arm or pitman arm, he doesn't remember but I'm sure it all needs replaced anyhow so I guess it doesnt matter. I'll get it up on the lift this week and hopefully have a better idea then where I'm at.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

You hit on 2 area's that I would fork over the dough for, new gas tank, & steering & brakes.

I would make it fun & safe to drive.Those were my goals & it is! :D
Johno

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

I got a little time this afternoon so I put a carb kit in it so it will quit leaking gas everywhere. I still need to pull the tank and clean or replace it. I did blow out the fuel line and it was pretty nasty with chunks of rust so I'm guessing the the tank will need replaced. I put it on the lift and gave it a quick look over, but I didnt see anything that looked like it had been welded as my father in law said, so I need to talk to him again and see if he remembers what it was exactly. Everything is grimy as hell about what you would expect on a 50+ year old car but at first glance the car looks very solid. The front strut rods or what ever you call them need bushings because about have of them are missing.

Nothing else in the front suspension really jumped out at me.

The rust in the rear is about what I expected.. The driver side is by far the worst even the trunk drop off is pretty far gone.

The passenger side is better.

Anyone know a front disc brake kit that fits these things that is no too expensive? I need to go through all the brakes and it would be nice to just swap to disc over the factory drums.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

CSRP has the best all around complete kits & cheapest. the first kit on their site fits 65 spindles. converting to 65 v8 steering is the other best upgrade you can do for your car to make it drive better.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20 ... TALOG.html
Johno

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

poboyjo65 wrote:CSRP has the best all around complete kits & cheapest. the first kit on their site fits 65 spindles. converting to 65 v8 steering is the other best upgrade you can do for your car to make it drive better.
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang%20 ... TALOG.html
Thank you sir

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Ordered a pair of 15x6 Torque Thrust wheels today for the rear. I found them on ebay for about 95.00 a wheel and summit beat their price. I have a pair of fairly new 205 65's that came off my daughters former 99 Mustang that I'll try and see how they fit in the rear. I'm thinking about going with a set of 15x4.5's in the front but I want to wait to see what I end up with for brakes before ordering the wheels.

Also, i drained the tank & got the fuel line cleaned out and it's running again off the factory tank. :D I added a filter right after the sending unit and so far it doesn't show any signs of rust. Also made an offer on ebay for a new 3 row Aluminum radiator. They seem to be pretty inexpensive anyway but got to save a buck where you can . lol...

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

I had a little time this afternoon so I tried too clean up the inside a bit. There are a few small tears here & there but over all it doesn't look too bad.

Rarerat

Post by Rarerat »

Got the new 15x6 Torque Thrusts on the rear with 205/65 tires. They fit really nice although the driver side seems to have about 1/2 more clearance than the passenger side, but both side clear with out having the roll the fender lips.

I have all but about given up trying to locate a new pitman arm so I guess it's just time to start trying to accumulate all the parts to do the 65 steering swap.

Thanks again for everyone's help thus far.