Vacuum wipers

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Marco

Vacuum wipers

Post by Marco »

Has anyone ever tried adding a vacuum canister or two to help stabilize the wipers? My wife wants to take my truck when it's raining because the wipers are driving her nuts. (Wouldn't be a long drive) :P Seriously though, any thoughts or experiences with this? I have an extra canister and plenty of tubing so I'll probably try it anyway if no one chimes in.

popscomet

Re: Vacuum wipers

Post by popscomet »

Do they make a double action fuel pump for your motor?,,the bottom half pumps fuel and the top half is for vacumn wipers and it keeps a steady vac to the wipers,so they don't ever stop.....??? POP
pop/glenda

Marco

Post by Marco »

It's definitely an all in one rig but the constant part of the wipers isn't constant.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

IF the lines run from the intake manifold to the top of the pump and from the pump to the wiper motor ,then it's a double action pump and it sounds like the top diaghram has gone bad.....pop
pop/glenda

Marco

Post by Marco »

Thanks Pop. I'll check it out tomorrow. After perusing the net and reading about vacuum wipers I had thought that it was just how they worked.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

MY 1951 v8 flat head had a DOUBLE action pump on it,it went out,left me stranded on the side of the road,had to replace it with a single action to get home and I've owned and drove so many mid 50's fords with vac wipers,I know what your wife is feeling while driving in the rain.pop
pop/glenda

Marco

Post by Marco »

Diaphram out. Thanks again, Pop. I've been checking out the net for rebuild kits but no luck yet. I may have to get a new pump. I really enjoy projects like rebuilding carbs, generators, starters and brakes but this may just be one of those things. I just hate to have to throw out such a part because I can't rebuild it. My wife says I was born 50 years too late.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

BACK in the day,,there was a rebuilder kit for everything...now they want you to throw it away and buy a new one,thats the reason the shade tree mech is a thing of the past,mostly today the mech is as good as he is able to read his print out on the codes,,,,, :( :shock: :? pop
pop/glenda

Marco

Post by Marco »

I was pretty lucky. My dad was an old school mechanic and I became good friends with an old girlfriend's dad. He showed me how to rebuild starters, electrical motors and other stuff. I immediately found a new hobby. That old dude really knows his stuff. He thoroughly explained to me how things like those worked in detail. Then we inherited an old auto mechanic shop with our house that was open one day and locked the next and stayed that way for 20 years. I thought I died and went to Heaven when we unlocked the doors. It was and is full of tools and replacement parts. Caustic vat, parts washer, 20 ton press, engine hoist, carb and brake kits, etc. I guess I'll be a tinkerer for life. These old cars just feed the habit.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

COOL! and pop has had the addiction forever,but only on FORDS,the rest of them don't excite me,unless it's a old studebaker !!pop
pop/glenda

Marco

Post by Marco »

I have to agree with you there Pop. The distributor is in the wrong place on a Chevy.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Marco wrote:I have to agree with you there Pop. The distributor is in the wrong place on a Chevy.
Everything about a chevy is wrong to me...there's 1 thing I like about a chevy....but for the life of me,I can't think of it right now,give me 3 or 9 months and maybe I'll think of it,but don't rush me,,it gives me a headache having to think about it :lol: :lol: :lol: :shock: :roll: pop
pop/glenda

robshrum

Post by robshrum »

This might be a little off topic but I bought a 65 tbird years ago from a salvage yard. I could not get my tow dolly back to the car so some of the guys that work there pulled it out with a chain. I looked at the car that had been sitting for 10 plus years roll by me and the wipers started operating. Kinda freaked me out a little. I did not realize at the time that they operated on vacuum. Guess something was engaged when the car was being pulled out LOL.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

DAMN,that must have been an air tight vacumn canister,if that would have been me standing there as it went by,I'd raised my fingers up making a cross and blurted out a few hail marys and started looking for the POPE on his little donkey !! :lol: I'd said that thing was kin to that 57 plymouth IN THAT MOVEIE CHRISTEN,!!! :roll: :shock: :? :o :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda