column shifter cone

The Round Body, Finned Comets
dmsteen

column shifter cone

Post by dmsteen »

I replaced the detent in my automatic column but I can't get the 2 square bolts back in that holds the cone together. is there a trick to this ?

Comechero65

Re: column shifter cone

Post by Comechero65 »

Yes, takes 3 hands and some magic! Put the nut just barely on the bolts then carefully slip into their slots. It you lose one which happens you'll have to pull the column tube to recover them. It's ticklish but can be done. How much hair do you have left to pull out? :lol:
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:Yes, takes 3 hands and some magic! Put the nut just barely on the bolts then carefully slip into their slots. It you lose one which happens you'll have to pull the column tube to recover them. It's ticklish but can be done. How much hair do you have left to pull out? :lol:
Ron
if bald -beware :!: :!: :shock: :roll: .........................pop
pop/glenda

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

thanx for the tip ! not much hair left and might be totally gone after this project

Groover

Post by Groover »

Get a young person with better eye-sight and coordination to do this. That's what I do. I'll ask him if he has a trick and report back ;)
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

To get the cone back on the two bolts have to be tilted so the heads are spread apart as far as possible without the nuts coming off. Just barely on the bolts. Try gluing the heads of the bolts in the tilted position with some seam sealer or something that will hold it there temporarily but let go when you tap the nut once it is in place. Or try fab'ing a couple 'L' shaped tools to hold the nuts in the tilted position while slipping the cone into place.
It's tedious but can be done.
Ron

dmsteen

Post by dmsteen »

a second pair of hands does the trick i found. after we got it in and go to shift it it doesn;t work right. take it apart again to find out on the tube at the end that little piece of metal that locks it in broke off. so throw a spot weld on that and thats fixed and then my buddy goes; since its all taken apart should probably replace the blinker cam and wiring since its old and getting brittle so, ordered one of those and waiting to get that and then it will be done. thanx to everyone for advice