Windshield washer

The Round Body, Finned Comets
Sawyer0162

Windshield washer

Post by Sawyer0162 »

Does anyone know if the 60 comet came stock with window washers? There is no evidence of it in the cowl/wiper area of mine, but there is some evidence on the inner fender of a spot where a bag and a couple screw holes might have been.
Thanks
Tom

poboyjo65

Re: Windshield washer

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom It probably had a foot pump, a rubber ball pump with a lever/pedal over it in the left foot area with rubber lines ran out to the bag & to cowl. though I'm not sure about pre 64 cars.
Johno

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Don't know what was common on those years. Everything can be installed to give you washers. I would go with a later electric washers and operated by the wiper switch. You probably have vacuum wipers so would need to be upgraded to electric wipers too. Can be done.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:Don't know what was common on those years. Everything can be installed to give you washers. I would go with a later electric washers and operated by the wiper switch. You probably have vacuum wipers so would need to be upgraded to electric wipers too. Can be done.
Ron
IT sure can be done,I did it to a 1956 ford....pop
pop/glenda

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

I have what looks to be a stock washer tank. The pump does not work because it is not connected. I have a lead coming off that I cannot seem to find where it connects to. Everything else is hooked up i.e. the ground. everything looks to be original.

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Do you have the foot operated pedal or just the bag under the hood? any holes in the firewall where tubes used to go through? Only electrical connection would have been to the pedal.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT foot pump reminds me when I drove my 67 big block GT 'stang yrs ago in the late 60's.......I bent the squirters up ,,so's when I pumped real hard they would clear and shoot over top of the car and would hit the car behind me square on the windshield,while at a redlight or intersection,,,I thought that was so funny to watch them in my rear view with their wipers on.....just anything to piss someone off was my intention..... 8) :wink: :lol: :lol: pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am pretty sure that the windshield washer was an option back in these days, my '64 does not have them and never did, of course it is a base model car so better trim packages might have included them.

Someday I would like to have them but I seemed to survive without them or back-up lights for all those years I drove it daily (that and non-synchro 1st gear, 4 wheel drum brakes and no seat belts or radio or A/C)

Sometimes I wish they would go back to the days when you could actually order a car the way you wanted it, but I guess the automated assembly process precludes that these days.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Mine never had washers or backup lights, among a few other things, as it was built. But it does now as adding a few extras is no big deal as you are planning and building a car.
Ron

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I will be adding a few of those things, like A/C and seatbelts, I have been looking at the license plate mount backup light (because yes backing up at night is a pain when you can't see) and everyone already knows the other things are changing.

I have pretty much decided on no radio, just add an iPOD (or similar) port with an amp and speakers.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

captian_napalm

Post by captian_napalm »

Comechero65 wrote:Do you have the foot operated pedal or just the bag under the hood? any holes in the firewall where tubes used to go through? Only electrical connection would have been to the pedal.
Ron
no. it is in the switch or so I thought,,,,I do not see a footswitch..the only switch there is for the highbeams