Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

Measured my bores today, nothing .010 over stock, most are within .005 so I am thinking a good block :roll:

Going to start looking for pistons but would like to shoot for .020 over, I have found one set Sealed Power 20 overs on RockAuto but will wait until the block visits the machine shop, maybe it does just have 68k miles :?:

.030 over would not bother me but would like to do the least over bore I can, now I guess I will check and see if I can find 255 V8 pistons that are not uber expensive (if I can even find them) and decide if I would like to raise my compression height a little.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

For those that might not know what I am talking about on the piston deck height on a 250-6 here is a picture of #1 piston at TDC.

Still not sure how I want to deal with it yet, i know I could leave it and not worry about it, if Ford built it that way it must be OK. Or if I could make it better and not cost too much I would like that.

I can use stock pistons and do a slight deck or a large dish piston and a little more decking or a 255 V8 piston (flat top) and no decking. I am really worried about getting the compression ratio too high and I am not sure how to calculate that :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

This is probably too much info, but since you asked...

http://cochise.uia.net/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

redhotcomet wrote:This is probably too much info, but since you asked...
That is great, too much info is better than no info :roll:

I did get my pistons pulled today and honed one cylinder before I broke a stone, then started cleaning parts again :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cleaned my front pulleys (some of them)

Dropped them in a bucket of apple cider vinegar overnight.

I need to wire brush the back of the water pump pulley a little it has what looks to be tar stuck in a few spots, they are currently sitting with WD40 sprayed on them to keep them from rusting right back up, I will try and shoot a little paint on them this next week.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not too exciting but I got my water pump pulley painted

Not perfect but it will do I guess, Wouldn't mind getting myself set up to do a little powder coating.

I also cleaned and painted timing pointer, I got one of those HF tumblers and the pointer tumbled around in it for a day, not super impressed when it came out that is the top right hand picture (top left is when I started). I have a bucket of apple cider vinegar in the shed so I tossed it in there over night, much better (lower left) and finally painted it with satin black rattle can paint.

I will keep chipping away.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Looks like the vinegar did quite well. I've been cheating on my small parts and using a gun/pickup tube out of an old blast cabinet. I just drag the air hose of back, stick the pickup tube in a bucket of media, mask up and BOOM done in a jif. Less mess in the shop too. I might have to try your vinegar method. Looking good; keep chipping away at it!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:I might have to try your vinegar method.
Vinegar has been my go to de-rust media, cheap and really pretty quick, I like I can see an outline in bubbles of the part in the bucket so I know right where it is when I reach in.

You Falcon build is really inspirational Dan, I have learned a lot from your progress no matter how slow it seems.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Love fresh painted CLEAN stuff!! Considering the majority of time spent is with grungy/grimy, slimy, stinky parts...always nice to put 'em BACK on spiffy! :D :D :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

In that never ending chore of cleaning parts, I decided today to tackle the DS2 distributor, I think I made it into parts now, I broke the drive gear removing it and a new one is over $20 from RockAuto, it also needs the vac advance canister replaced and that is another $12 or so, plus the bushings on the weights were brittle and cracked and the weights fell off.

It had to be the grungiest oil that looked more like tar up in the shaft housing, the upper advance plate will not lift off the lower plate with the clip removed and I think it is supposed too. Any how it is currently soaking in degreaser but I don't think I will spend the money to fix it, I can get a rebuilt one around $100 or I can throw money at this one until I have $100+ in it and still have to buy the rebuilt one :roll:

I did decide today that I should go ahead and have the block tanked because as much sludge as I have found so far I imagine the oil passages are pretty stopped up on it. I have decided this probably is a 65K motor with the factory oil still in it :roll:

Someone probably said that was the worse car they ever owned, it wore out by 65K miles, but never had an oil or filter change :P like I said, at least it protected the internals of the engine when it got water in it because of that protective crust.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I bought a reman 289 dist from oreilys for under 50 bucks, with new points & condenser. a 6cyl one is probably a little more. I think that is a wise choice to tank out that block, for the water passages & oil passages. You can get a cheap set of long oil galley brushes from places like summit. after my block came out of the vat I pecked & blew with air, blasted with water for hours. I would work 2-3 hours picking in it,blow it, wash it,blow it ,wd-40 it, quit for the day. next day I'd find more crud in the water passages & do it all again. did that 3-4 days.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I keep talking about the grungy oil in the 250 motor, It really is not as bad as I have been making it sound, mostly :roll:

This is inside the crankcase, not too bad, it has been cleaned some.

Well until you look inside the timing cover, the back of the cover matched this, I guess in consolation, it came off easy.

I got the side freeze plugs pulled today, the cam and the lifters, I think I mentioned earlier that the engine had no valve cover on it so the lifters were pretty bad but the bores all looked fine once I had them pulled.

I was cleaning the block a little more and noticed this,

I guess oil pressure was not all that important to them, or maybe the light kept coming on and this was the solution :roll: well at least it solved that pesky light :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

maybe the oil lite kept flickering or had low pressure on the gauge or sprung a leak and they were CHEAP....CAN YOU RELATE TO BEING A LITTLE CHEAP ?? And that was a fast and cheap FIX ! :shock: :!:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:CAN YOU RELATE TO BEING A LITTLE CHEAP ??
I like to think of it as thrifty :P

Usually I don't bypass what I think are important devices to monitor engine health, of course I am firm believer in actual gauges not idiot lights, I am not sure what this car had but I assume a light. That is what was nice about the Comet, it had gauges the Falcon had lights (at least in '64)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

That engine could be used in a carbon sequestration scheme! :lol: :lol:
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"