Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

So it has been a while, I did get out the other day and get those measurements after moving the motor forward to accommodate the driveshaft, I would recommend now anyone doing something similar to have all that stuff on hand ahead of time, but really was not a major issue this time but I guess that is part of the game. There I gave my advice as a noob to those who are more noob"ish" than me :roll:

Any way from the front of the water pump pulley flange to the stock radiator is 2", I am going to put a different radiator in and electric fans plus will probably modify the core support, so I think I will be ok here, and you can see the hood to carb mount distance did not change, right around 7"

Here are some non-measured shots of the firewall clearance, certainly it gave me a little more room between the head/valve cover and there is plenty of room around the bell housing.

I know the pictures are a little dark but it fit before, now it has more space back there.

Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things now, the weather is warming up so it will be tolerable in the open front shed, the rain we had this week was blowing in all the way up to the cowl.

I need to go ahead and get the oil pan cut to fit, I saw that someone is re-popping 250 oil pans now (can't imagine there is a demand) but they are pricey like $180 for a stock steel pan, however it does give me a safety net if I screw up, just an expensive one :roll:

I have been knocking around the thought of getting the aluminum head for this, but they are a bit over $2k so not a budget item so I would have to figure out what to sell for the cash :P the aluminum head comes with big valves, springs, hardened seats (naturally) and a removable intake manifold, I think you can choose a 2 or 4 barrel intake or it comes with an adapter plate, I can't remember off the top of my head, I really want a multi carb set-up but could do that later if I really wanted too because I would have the option of building a custom intake, lastly of course it is aluminum so it would weigh a lot less, just don't think it will happen unless I can figure out a way to swing some cash.

I think for now I will just not put any money in my current head and save that for the last and not make that decision until I have too.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Well, Spring must finally be on the way! The daffodils are sproutin', and ole Mike has come out of his den and is startin' to prowl around. :lol: :lol: Been kinda quiet the last few weeks while you were hibernatin'. Looking forward to the daily updates on miraculous achievements. :D
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Well, Spring must finally be on the way! The daffodils are sproutin', and ole Mike has come out of his den and is startin' to prowl around. :lol: :lol: Been kinda quiet the last few weeks while you were hibernatin'. Looking forward to the daily updates on miraculous achievements. :D
Jim
what did you get done during your time in the den ???......pop
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

If you get good size piece a steel plate and mount the pan to you can cut and recut for a long time. It's just mild steel same as the floor you repaired.
The pan rail staying straight so it will seal is the only real thing to worry about the rest is just fun. Get started, don't quit you'll have a great pan just like the rest of your build.
Fred
ImageImage
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote: what did you get done during your time in the den ???......pop
Demoed a bathroom and rebuilt it with new tile floor, tile shower, and built new vanities, paint, etc. It doesn't go very fast, but its got a nice throaty rumble if you eat the right stuff. :lol:
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's good....hurry up with those honey do jobs and your comet will work it's way to top of list..... :shock: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

They say the first cut is the hardest, oh so true but necessary :roll:

I only cut out what I needed to get it in there, obviously I will have to add a rear sump to it and cut the back half of the pan out as well but thought it would be more stable if I left that part in for now. The little tab I left on the bottom of the pan I bent up to make a lip using that flat sheet metal bending tool laying at the top of the picture, it really is for lighter material but got the job done.

She is in there but she is tight boys, I should have cut the upper front edge as a radius like I have drawn on the pan (only further back) because I think I will need that little bit for the oil pump flange not to touch the pan bottom, but then again maybe it wouldn't matter that much but I would worry about it rubbing a hole, not sure there would/should be that much movement however.

You can see the ear where the pickup tube bolts sticking out in the very corner, it doesn't stick out as far as it looks but is pretty even with the vertical cut.

If you remember I tilted the engine slightly to give me more clearance on the drivers side, well I had to raise the passenger side up about 3/4" because it was too close to the rack.

I also scooted the motor back closer to centered, not quite in the middle but I am not sure the stock motor sits perfectly in the middle anyway. You can see it is about 1/4" offset toward the passenger side (I know it looks like 1/2" on the tape but you would half that to get it dead center)

Rechecked that the transmission was still all the way forward in the adjustment slots and it was, I also checked that the motor was still sitting 4 degrees up on front and it is, you can see in this picture that the angle gauge on the carb mount is level and the one on the valve cover is tilted, this is how it is supposed to be.

Anyhow moving along, next I will modify the motor mounts and get it all bolted down tight and make sure I still have the clearance I need, mark and mock-up the rest of the pan and get the motor back out so I can mod the pan and get this motor (finally) off to the machine shop.

I really don't like that you have to pull the motor to remove the oil pan but that is what I did to myself putting the MII frontend in, making it too much like a modern car :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got out and got the motor mounts modified today.

So the motor is sitting in there all on it's own mounts again.

I still think I will need to cut the very front edge, on top of bushing, because it is really close to, if not touching, the bushing, I will do that later after I pull the motor back out, just going to do a 1/4"-1/2" so I don't think it will weaken it any, if I need to I could box the bottom in.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

lavron wrote:So the motor is sitting in there all on it's own mounts again.
I was thinking as I ran an errand into town about why that is a significant statement and that I did not make it clear when I posted this earlier. Also there is a possibility that no one else sees anything but my homemade motor mount :roll:

So, the significance for me is this, motor, transmission, rear diff. are all attached to the car with a driveshaft between them, once the motor is done it will be ready to slap in the car and I will have the drivetrain in.

That does not mean I don't still have a lot of work to do to get it on the road, like electrical harness/wires all need to be built and installed and I have one brake line (from front to rear) to make and install, cooling system, clutch, etc, etc, but I mark it as a milestone for sure, maybe not the biggest one but some significance :roll:

That is all about that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

No pictures today, but I got out and started making a cardboard template for the new bottom to the oil pan.

Oh wait I did take a picture today, the other day when I was at HF I bought this pack of cheap scissors because I broke my scissors I had in the toolbox and my wife frowns on me using her scissors.

Now if I just had a pair of working scissors I could cut this package open and have some scissors :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Cobraguy

Post by Cobraguy »

Looking great Mike. I had to change my motor mounts. The passenger side broke at the weld to the crossmember, no penetration, and the driver side laid over into the steering shaft :shock: . I ended up with mounts for a 88-93 T-bird V6, $12.00 each at O'rielly's. I don't know if they'll work on an aftermarket crossmember. I'll have to get some pictures up for you. The difference is night and day. The old bushing mounts would rattle everything at idle in gear, the jelly mounts make it smooth as butter.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cobraguy wrote: I'll have to get some pictures up for you.
I would like to see them, I may have to do similar but will probably give these a go at first because they are already done.

Got the motor pulled back out today (that is fun to do by yourself) but didn't have a lot of time today so will try again tomorrow to get something done on the pan, I think I am close to having it figured out :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

wish I had a dollar for every motor OL POP has pulled by hisself….50 cents for everyone I have put in by my self...it's all mind over matter....you do what you have to do,to make it work!!!!!! :shock: :wink:
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:wish I had a dollar for every motor OL POP has pulled by hisself….50 cents for everyone I have put in by my self...it's all mind over matter....you do what you have to do,to make it work!!!!!! :shock: :wink:
I can't say I have done a lot but I have done this one several times already :P

I just tend to take it slow and easy, I am not in any hurry, honestly it takes about 10 or 15 minutes, I mean there is nothing hooked up so no disconnecting everything (there isn't even a wiring harness in the car) but I do have to watch out for my new stuff on the firewall.

I also have to pull the hoist boom all the way out to have enough lift to get over the core support with it up off the floor, but if it wasn't lifted up I don't think it would come out because the transmission would hit the floor too quick in the back, next time I am pulling the shifter off it wants to hang up under the car pretty bad, one reason I cut the hole so big in the floor so I could put the shifter on and take it off without dropping the transmission down.

I think I have the metal for the oil pan, I was looking around my scrap heap and I have a little lawn trailer my dad built out of a big electrical box enclosure, I don't really have a need for it and the tires are rotten on it anyway so it may be sacrificed for the Comet, I am pretty sure dad would be ok with that, besides otherwise it would be sold or sit there and rust away. It is pretty big so it will go to make several things I am sure :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

62Cometman

Post by 62Cometman »

I hope that having the motor in the car starts a snow ball effect where everything else seems to fall into place and you finish much faster than you thought, thats been my experience of what happens after the drive train goes in at least. Its a double edged sword though cause the faster you get that done the more time you find you have staring at the car deciding you need to fix other stuff :lol: Great to see the progress
62 Comet 170, dagneham trans, 2.8 7.25 rear 260 T5 8 inch swap planned for the future.