N/SS 65 Comet build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
TunnelBolt

N/SS 65 Comet build

Post by TunnelBolt »

Here's a few pics of the Comet, Did the Crites shock tower kit today.

Image[/img]

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

N/SS 65 Comet

Post by CALIFORNIA CALIENTE »

Wow,looks good!While you are in there with your welder spend some time stitching the subframes down where you put the short welds.I had to re-weld mine after a few years of hard use,now would be a good time as you have them clean and easy to get at.I also stitched the toe boards where they meet the top of the subframe. ROY.
Real Racecars have 3 pedals

Judd

Re: N/SS 65 Comet

Post by Judd »

Yes rebrace and weld everything. I just had to reweld and add extra bracing on my subframe connectors. The 2' jump to the left on launch when the drivers side broke loose was scarry! The work looks great so far.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE wrote:Wow,looks good!While you are in there with your welder spend some time stitching the subframes down where you put the short welds.I had to re-weld mine after a few years of hard use,now would be a good time as you have them clean and easy to get at.I also stitched the toe boards where they meet the top of the subframe. ROY.
Judd

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Thanks for the tips Roy and Judd, did just that first thing today. Next thing to do was replace the cowl panel as there was rust damage. I was going to replace just the outer panel but the inner was full of pin holes from the rust, so off that went. Glad I pick up both panels just in case. Here's some more pics.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

I blasted both inner and outer panels that were taken from a Falcon. Then sprayed with Dupont Variprime etching primer then used gray sealer over that.
Sprayed Variprime on the back of dash while the cowls off and zink primer for the welds.
After grinding about 150 plug welds then used 3M heavy body two part seam sealer and zink weldable primer.
I was hoping to finish but I ran out of Argon for the welder.

projim64

65 Comet

Post by projim64 »

Looking good Steve. Cant wait to see it go down the track . Jim
64 prostreet Caliente 347 crossram 5spd 4.56 9 in
64 Caliente 260 auto ps pb radio delete
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto
64 404 wagon 289 tunnelram 2 4rs auto

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

N/SS 65 Comet

Steve;looking great!Wow that cowl was in bad shape,all the work will be worth it.The extra welds look great,much better to do it now while it is open.What engine,trans combo are you planing on?Keep the updates coming! ROY.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Well I had a small bottle of argon at home that had a little gas left. I welded about 80% of the cowl then saved the rest for welding nuts in the A piller as I wanted to bolt on the door hinges from the outside. I made up the hinges out of 1/8" steel and 1/2" square tubing.

Thanks Roy, 427 marine block, ported Edelbrock heads, Dove tunnel wedge intake, and C6. Steve
I wanted to test fit the Crites fiberglass doors, not to bad, had to take 1/4" off the door at the bottom edge at the fender gap and 1/8" on the bottom.
Test fitting Crites fender, had to cut off the lower mounting tab as it was pulling the fender to low. I'll make another tab for it.

projim64

comet

Post by projim64 »

Looks good . That is the first time I got to see the hinges . They look great and light too . Jim
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

N/SS 65 Comet

Steve;you are making good progress.I had the same issues with my Crites fenders,other than that and some fine tuning at the door gap and cowl.I used a set of steel doors and cut everything out that didn't need to be there plus used a hole saw on the bottoms,lexan fixed windows,you can pick them up with one hand.Your engine combo sounds stout!I am running a 289 out to 352",Liberty-Toploader combo,car runs 10's,would love to have an F.E. in there.My 65 ended up weighing 2950 but is mild steel,8 point rollbar,backhalved,stock type front suspension,coilover-ladderbar rear,Crites glass fenders,hood and front bumper.Keep the pictures coming. ROY.

projim64

ROY

Post by projim64 »

Hey Roy. Steve knows your car . He is the one with the 64 Black pro street Fairlane that was in the Hot Rod Magazine with my car and was at Carlisle when you had your car there. Jim
64 Caliente 4dr 260 auto
64 Cyclone 289 auto

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Roy, how did your fenders fit at the rad support were the three bolts go, mine are about a 1/2" away from the support. I don't think the back edge of the fender has that much extra, I'll have to measure the length of a steel fender.

Your car is sweet, Jim and I saw your 65 Comet at Fords at Carisle.

Only worked on it a little today after work, hope to have more Argon for tomorrow. Steve

Thats about 6 pounds gone, will replace with chrome moly strut rods.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

N/SS 65 Comet

Steve;I should have known it was you by your user name.Thank You for the compliments,I still talk about that BEAUTIFUL T-Bolt of yours and Jim's badd-assed Comet!!!As for the fenders,I only used every other bolt,but I had to slot them to get them to line up.I put the hood on and made the fenders work with the hood.I had to build up the fenders at the cowl,and build up an area about 6" from the cowl forward on the passenger side where the hood and fender meet.I also used some nuts that have flanges on them, for rivets or screws,where the grill attaches.I don't have a digital camera or I would send you some shots.I did the fenders and bumper about two years ago,I had all the original steel on the car when I met you and Jim,except the hood.Crites didn't have the doors out yet when I lightened a spare set.I still have all the original steel for my Comet in case I ever need it.A friend and I are getting ready to build a 65,202 post car into a straight axle,gasser style car.The Cammer 65 that was at Carlisle across from me, went to Virginia to a private collector,never made a pass!Good luck with your Comet,keep us posted. ROY.

TunnelBolt

Post by TunnelBolt »

Roy, I had two sets of doors but they were to rusted and it would of cost $150.00 to acid dip each. I'm glad Crites makes those doors, saved a lot of time in patching rust and trim holes I wasn't using.
That's cool your building a gasser, This car was also going gasser style even got a 1949 Ford F1 straight axle,(this axle is perfect fit, the leaf springs line right up to the frame rails.) and a Toploader from Jim. Shame they never ran that Cammer Comet. More to come; Steve.

Jim came over and helped with the Comet today, Today's project was the rear.
Stretching the quarter panel 4" for tire clearance.

CALIFORNIA CALIENTE

N/SS 65

Steve;it looks like you are making good progress.I was sorry to see John sell the Cammer Comet before it ever made a pass.He really lost interest in it after he bought a tube framed,63 1/2 Galaxie with a 605",385 series engine,that car ran 8.60's with more in it,sold it too.His new straight axle 65 runs low 10's with a 366' Dart blocked Windsor.A friend is in the final stages of building a 65 Comet with an injected 427,4-speed for the street,he had the injectors switched to electronic control.You sure do nice work!Keep us posted, ROY.