Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Lou's Comet

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by Lou's Comet »

lavron wrote:

The first issue that I have seen so far is there is a clearance issue with the upper bracket/bar bolt and the lower airbag bracket, I will need to get a shorter bolt or cut off the one I have, I am also thinking about welding the nut too the bracket and using a lock washer under the bolt head

See Ya,
Mike
Can't you just turn the bolt around? Like you have the bolt on the left side upper bar. Have the nut on the inside?

Your making great process!
Lou

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Lou's Comet wrote:Can't you just turn the bolt around?
I could but I could never get it back out after the airbag bracket gets welded on. I just didn't get around to switching the side with the nut on the inside (I should say I stopped when the other hit the bracket)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am going to call this the first month update, on the 15th it will be a month since I pulled the Comet in the shed, not sure if I can brag at all about my progress it has seemed pretty slow to me because I have to fabricate so many things :roll:

Anyway Fridays are Comet day around here when I dedicate the full day to working on the Comet (mostly) even though it is hot I decided to make it a bit more bearable, the patio umbrella came in nice, almost like air conditioning :P (no I did not steal it from the patio, it was stored away in the back room of the double wide)

I pulled out the big metal chop saw and cut my brackets down with it, it was a little tough but went much faster than cutting with the 4 1/2" cutoff wheel, so fast I actually got them mocked in the car, everything spot welded and tested my squat and droop, actually not full squat because the tires hit the outer fender wells before the axle hits the frame, I am really reconsidering cutting the C-notches and let it only squat this far.

I actually got the tire off at full droop but I sure couldn't get it back on, hopefully if I trim the fender lips down I will be able to get the tire up in there.

I was happy with the articulation, no binding and it moves really easy, the only binding I saw is when I dropped the tires all the way to the floor, that is 18"-20" of droop, outside of the design parameters :roll:

I was so happy I went ahead and welded all the brackets on the rear, I was a little hesitant to show this pictures because I suck at welding, they aren't pretty but I think they are strong :roll:

I really wish I would have went ahead and lifted the car up another inch off the floor, the tires will not quite go under the frame when they are on the dollies so I have to take at least one tire off to get the rear back under there, I may go ahead and see if I can lift everything one more click on the jack stands.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Mike - Dang, moving it out man!! :D Love the umbrella! 8)

Welds look good to me & especially with flux core...thumbs up here.

The sitting pic looks plenty low to me...

I don’t know much about 4-links but a decent amount about bolts. Anything Grade 5 or better is GTG for those, but as Jim pointed out, there’s a big difference in quality/construction. If typical hardware store...go Gr 8!

I’d think you’d want to use shoulder bolts through those rod ends but it’s not totally necessary. Pegasus Auto Racing carries really good hardware at good prices.

You’re busting your ass & getting it done...keep rolling!

BTW - There’s a guy selling a complete (and I mean complete...AC compressor, ps pump, etc.) 200 I6 here in KC...cheap. You’re makin’ me want to buy it... No current use for it but you never know! :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:BTW - There’s a guy selling a complete (and I mean complete...AC compressor, ps pump, etc.) 200 I6 here in KC...cheap. You’re makin’ me want to buy it... No current use for it but you never know!
If the price is right and it is a '66 or later (some of the 70s have the better head design) be hard to pass for me :P As is I have three sitting in my shed right now, hopefully one will make it into the Comet :roll:
Rocket989 wrote:The sitting pic looks plenty low to me...
Yes I don't want to go any lower, I am thinking about re-doing the c-notch to not be so large and just cut up around 1.5" to 2" (reading and seemed to be a consensus that 3-3.5" of up travel was more than enough) I will just weld a patch back in the inside plate and make new outside ones. Actually thinking about recycling the tube chunk I cut out of the rear when I narrowed it to make my notches. Reading last night I may look for some progressive bump stops.
Rocket989 wrote:Welds look good to me & especially with flux core...thumbs up here.
Thanks, someday I will get the gas set up on this welder, I guess before I do any welding where it will show :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not much to report today, I did get out and raise the Comet up another 1.5" so now the rear should roll out from under it on the dollies.

It takes a while to to move the car up because then I have to get it all level(ish) again, I also raised the front slightly more because I am concerned about tire rub and I will just deal with the consequences of my action later :roll:

So today is officially one month since the Comet was pushed into the shed so I thought a recap of what I have accomplished so far in the month;

Removed the Engine, Transmission, Driveshaft, Rear Diff with suspension, All the Front Suspension except the steering box and drag link (the stuff is still attached to the steering box) and a big chunk of the rotted out trunk floor plus the rear crossmember.

Installing the rear 8.8 Diff, triangulated 4-link which has involved fabricating frame plates and tacking the brackets on to them along with the replacement crossmember and air bag brackets. Located and welded all the brackets on the rear diff and finally bent up some c-notch parts (have to wait to see how I use those).

Of course there has been lots of measuring and calculating and mocking stuff up on both ends of the car.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're making fantastic progress, Mike! Keep it up and you'll be driving it before you know it. 8)
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:You're making fantastic progress, Mike! Keep it up and you'll be driving it before you know it. 8)
Jim
Thanks Jim, I can't wait to drive it, my only worry is it won't meet all my expectations I have built up in my head, or I will make some horrible blunder along the way :roll:

I guess I have been anticipating this for too long.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
Babe Ruth

Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
Babe Ruth
I will keep swinging for the fence :P

I had an issue with the upper bag brackets, in they were not in line with each other or level from front to back, part of that has to do with lifting the nose of the car slightly, you know everything dominoes :roll: good thing they were just tacked in, I cut them loose and re-aligned them, measuring 7 different ways, 10 different times :roll: got them where where they are really close to the same side to side (I would say perfect but I know that isn't true) so I tacked them back in.

I also got the motor mounts cut off my re-purposed rear brace, got it aligned and welded the ends on solid, then I TEK screwed is to the frame in the right place. Plenty of room for pipes now to go over the top of the axle.

Still debating if I should tack it to the frame plates but that would mean removing everything in on piece for final welding.

Going to try and get the revised c-notch done next.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I dont think I'd weld that brace in just yet.I cant see any reason to weld it now. just having it bolted on will do, & will allow tweaking for some unforeseen reason. It will probably be easier to weld the plates on the frames without it in the way. Or you could leave one bolt in each side of it so it will spin out of the way & may need to lean on it while you weld. :lol:

maybe something like hood pins for a quick detach shock? or those pins like on a tractor.

If you go ahead & get gas for your welder you would save a lot of splatter grinding! :lol: Coming from a grindmaster! :lol: & you will need it for sure on the thin stuff like quarters, & like Dan says ,that galvanized frame does some crazy things even with gas, I cant imagine how it would be with flux core.
I like the new height. I think you will too. if you get them too low it makes the roof look too tall.
You are making great progress. dont worry about that. just keep up a good pace without burning your self out. :wink:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I dont think I'd weld that brace in just yet.I cant see any reason to weld it now. just having it bolted on will do, & will allow tweaking for some unforeseen reason. It will probably be easier to weld the plates on the frames without it in the way.
That was kinda my thought as well, might leave it in there bolted and weld everything around and then pull it if I need too and weld it last.
poboyjo65 wrote: or those pins like on a tractor.
I thought about that, have to see if I could get them tight so they wouldn't rattle.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

So I am sitting thinking about changing a flat tire on the side of the road :roll: then it dawned on me, for just a tire flat because of a lack of air, I will have an on-board air compressor, if it is leaking I could air it up good enough to get someplace where I wouldn't be on the side of the road.

If I was to blow out a tire it would be skinnier because of the lack of air, etc. and I just need to carry a skinnier spare :P

I guess I worry about too much stuff but I like to try and think of everything.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not a lot of time this morning only was able to work an hour, I have a guy coming to do some dirt work for me today so I will be putting my supervisor/boss hat on for a while.

I think I mentioned I was going to re-do the C-notches, so I cut some plates to fit in the current holes, this comes from cutting the originals too early on in the process :roll: and I did not want to remake the side plates. I had to use my "rotary plasma cutter" to make those half round holes, that was not much fun, but they fit pretty good in the side plates and I am recycling my axle tube chunk I cut out of the 8.8 when I shortened it.

And while I was out there I decided to fire up the welder and weld the upper bag brackets in solid. I guess I was satisfied with where they are :P

Next I guess I need to get the axle bump stops cut off so I can trim the outer plates to fit.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Was busy today with the guys putting in my new driveway but I did start trying to remove one bump stop, so far I have done much but butcher one and it is still attached :roll: I need to find the spot welds in the back and try and drill them out, it was kinda dark and crusty in there and could not see where or how many there are. I will take a light in there next time.

I did try my new spot weld cutter out today just for fun, it works pretty well but I probably need to drill pilot hole first to keep it from walking, I was able to cut one by just center punching the weld, the other walked on me so I quit and pulled out the cut off wheel, didn't help much but at least I chopped some metal.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread