Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by poboyjo65 »

Have you thought about adding some plates to that frame instead of welding those mounts directly to the frame? the frame is way thinner than those mounts & plates would spread the load out. that way you could burn it in good (the mounts to plates)
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Johno took the words out of my mouth LOL. I picked up piece of 1/8" steel plate, made cardboard templates and then burnt them in. It helped immensely. The frame rail is pretty thin first off, and the galvanizing will cause a few wild blowouts that are pretty frustrating. If you don't plate it, I would make sure to get all of the galvanizing off to get the best weld possible, and it still might fight you.

All that being said, i wish I'd have thought of the self tapping screw trick! Looking good, can't wait to see it finished.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

with plates you could get it all mocked up then do the welds for the mounts up on a worktable & really burn them in good without getting burnt. Also if you went with 1/8'' plates it will be a good transition between the mounts & frame . it will weld better/easier to the thicker mounts & to the thinner frame too.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I trust you guys and will take you advice under advisement, I will look and see what I can dig up.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

pugs65

Post by pugs65 »

Mike she is lookin good. Keep the pics comin, Pugs.
302 roller
4 speed
Real cars are built to be driven and driven hard!!!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks for the kind words from everyone.

I guess it might be time to chop up a trailer house tongue, they are 8" I-beams and appear to be 1/8" steel. I might not go quite as extensive as Dan did but I will make some sort of backing plate. I wish I had that plasma cutter but I can do pretty good with a cut-off wheel and grinder :roll: :P

Still going to push for the PF date even if I don't get to come next year, I guess I will get an extra year to get it road worthy to drive and maybe get the A/C in it :P (man I have ambitious thoughts)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

A cut off wheel and grinder is my weapon of choice too! It really is looking good. Gotta love progress!

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Great progress, Mike! You're really whuppin' up on it! :shock: :D :D
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I dug out the trailer house tongue out of my scrap heap (well it was two tongues stacked up :roll: ) Decided it would be best to tow it like a trailer behind the cart.

Cut it apart and ended up two steel i-beams 7' long made of 3/16" steel and a couple of 1/2" plates about 24" long and 2" wide and some 1/8" angle iron (1" & 2") plus the tongue jack :P

As you can see from the picture I also made a template for the frame, should be able to get both of them and the smaller ones that go on the outside of the C-notch out of one beam.

Pretty much my goal for today and that is a good thing, another heat advisory today until 8pm.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Mike here is another option. you could make wrap around pieces like this kit & looks like they are bolt on. has them for the coilovers or in your case bags. I think I'd want tubes to go thru the frames to keep from squeezing the sides together when you tighten the bolts. but would save you from a lot of overhead welding.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:Mike here is another option. you could make wrap around pieces like this kit & looks like they are bolt on. has them for the coilovers or in your case bags. I think I'd want tubes to go thru the frames to keep from squeezing the sides together when you tighten the bolts. but would save you from a lot of overhead welding.
Thanks, I think I will just tack them initially and then figure out how to get the car on it's side to do the final welding and getting the bottom of the car painted as well etc.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Mike here is another option. you could make wrap around pieces like this kit & looks like they are bolt on. has them for the coilovers or in your case bags. I think I'd want tubes to go thru the frames to keep from squeezing the sides together when you tighten the bolts. but would save you from a lot of overhead welding.
Thanks, I think I will just tack them initially and then figure out how to get the car on it's side to do the final welding and getting the bottom of the car painted as well etc.

See Ya,
Mike
If it was closer I'd come help burn them in! One good thing about plating the frame rail is the additional thickness of your plate. You can keep most of your welding heat on the plate and walk over to the frame rail real quick and it's not to bad, especially if you grind everything clean first. That, and running a series of heavy 1/2" tack welds instead of a continuous bead will help keep the fire reading down to a minimum. A set of leathers and a chin flap on your hood helps too. Looking good - keep it up!

Dan

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Looking great Mike. Keep the pictures coming.
Tom
tomb's 65

loman

Post by loman »

Pretty much my goal for today and that is a good thing, another heat advisory today until 8pm.

See Ya,
Mike[/quote]

Mike,
You have gotten a lot done during this heat wave. Before you know it the heat will be gone and it will be fall and you'll be flying through the rest of the projects.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:Looking great Mike.
Thanks Tom and everyone else.
loman wrote:Before you know it the heat will be gone and it will be fall and you'll be flying through the rest of the projects.
I hope on both points :P

What do you guys think the best way to remove the galvanizing from the frame is? I have a knotted wire cup brush in my 4.5" grinder, I also have some flap wheels. And should I remove the galvanizing from the entire surface where the plate goes or only around where the welds will be?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread