Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
ArkansasComet

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by ArkansasComet »

The grill turned out nice Mike! I think it's actually better than your sig pic since you have the Comet emblem back on!

"Auto racing began 5 minutes after the second car was built." - Henry Ford

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

ArkansasComet wrote:The grill turned out nice Mike! I think it's actually better than your sig pic since you have the Comet emblem back on!
Exacadacally what I was thinkin. :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Thanks guys, I just hope the paint stays on there.

I scrubbed it clean, wiped it good with wax & grease remover and primed it with aluminum primer, then shot rattle can bed liner on it followed by a coat if flat black because I know the bed liner faded pretty bad on my Jeep, it has remained firmly attached all these years however.

I like how it turned out, IMO it really needed the center chrome strip to remain chrome because it just didn't look right until I got it on there.

When I redo the core support, etc I will shoot them flat black as well so hopefully they will fade to the background, I didn't do any kind of painting behind the grill this time and a few of the places look like they have overspray of grey primer or they are just light colored, it will all get done eventually if I keep poking at it, I think the weather is about to take me out of the paint business for a while :roll: that is ok there is plenty to do.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Mike - You ever figure out/get taller compression height pistons for the 250? Did it end-up needing bored? I may have missed a post here or there!! :) :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Still waiting on the pistons, they are supposed get shipped in November so the month is about up, keeping my fingers crossed.

That is why I have been fiddling around with painting my hood and grill etc. just to keep plugging away at it. As soon as I get the pistons (if ever :roll: ) I will try and hunt down a machine shop to get the block done.

I did end up with a little extra cash recently and got something else that I needed and will show everyone shortly what I got.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You're such a tease. :P
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Were the 255 V8 pistons the ticket?
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Were the 255 V8 pistons the ticket?
No they are Aussie 250 six pistons maybe from the crossflow, can't remember right off the top of my head, I think they are listed for a Granada. I guess they are not that common and they really don't fit in my scheme of "off the shelf" parts, but they are cheaper than having custom made pistons as long as one has months to wait on them :roll: My goal is to never buy another piston for my Comet so I can wait this one time.
Jims65cyclone wrote:You're such a tease. :P
Jim
Well it is not that impressive or special to anyone but me, but like most things, I have waited a long time for this. It kills me to be getting all the nice stuff together and not able to start working yet, but I get closer every day.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Like I said, probably no-one will find this at all impressive, but I see it as a little more progress :roll:

You all knew I had these...

They have been squirreled away, problem is they won't do me any good this way, so I bought these...

They are stubby bolt in valve stems, I thought they were cool but in hindsight regular length might have been preferable, they are a little hard to get an air chuck on, well if you needed too, and I did because I got these...

I am going to admit something too you guys, this was the first time I have mounted any tires since, well, I don't know when :roll: after I remembered to put the tire on from the front they went on much easier (well they won't go on at all from the back side of the wheel)

Now to get it so they can actually mount on the Comet, I am going to bolt the rear tires to the rear diff. and do some measuring to see that everything is ok as far as width goes, I can't imagine there won't be all kinds of clearance but I have been wrong before (once or twice in my life).

Until I get the complete running gear replaced under my car I have to only imagine how they will look, and do a little PhotoShop magic.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Man! I really LIKE those wheels! You've got good taste. 8) :wink: :lol: :lol:
Jim

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

They're look great! :D :D :D TTII's like Jim's right?
Johno

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Nice wheels! Have you relocated the leaf springs?
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:They're look great! :D :D :D TTII's like Jim's right?
Thanks, yes TTII because they were the only affordable wheel that had the offset I was wanting and matching 15&16" sizes.

I had them in my cart/wish list at Summit Racing for almost a year, I guess they kept lowering the price until I bought them, around $380 delivered (free shipping) for all 4.

I wish my American Racing wheels were not made in China :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

RideAndShoot wrote:Nice wheels! Have you relocated the leaf springs?
I am removing the the leaf springs (someday) I have a triangulated 4 link for the rear and MII for the front, going to do air ride. But yes I will have to scoot the rear back just a bit, maybe 2" at the most.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

gearhasher

Post by gearhasher »

This is a GREAT build thread! Thank you for all the great photos and explanations!