Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
bigdan

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by bigdan »

I used the welder series on my 4 link install. It's a 3/4" bar and easily adapted to any variety of locations; i actually debated installing mine inside the trunk going through the floor for a while. I'll try to dig out some pics of my install.

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote: I'll try to dig out some pics of my install.
Love to see it.

So I did some more pictures today and going to show them with some of the measurements I am working with in case anyone wants to know :roll: I hope this is helpful to someone.

First I established the center of the rear differential by measuring from the inside of the brake brackets and came up with it being just to the left of the mounting hole (Actually it is just to the right of the hole, the picture the front is at the bottom, I think the brake line anchors there) you can see where I scratched it into the paint on this picture, you can kinda see where the yard stick is as well with 20" on the mark which designates the outside of the frame or leaf spring pockets.

I set the pinion angle to 3 degrees up using the front driveshaft yoke plate (it is supposed to be might be a little off in the picture :roll: )

I transferred the 20" (40" total) measurement on both sides down to the rear axle tubes and placed a large hose clamp around the tube (the left clamp, the right is holding the bracket on)

I then temporarily clamped the lower bar bracket so that the hose clamp was just inside bracket.

The brackets need to be at zero degrees using the rear shock mount plate to set it.

I will need to mod these brackets a little because they are not made for the Explorer 8.8 and need to have the radius made slightly larger.

Next I positioned my lower bag brackets so the outside edge was 18" away from the center mark because the inside frame is 36" apart above the axle (basically straight from the spring pockets because the frame rails are 2" wide)

I think they may need to move in a hair further but I did not remove the brake line clips from the tubes and one is in the way on the passenger side, the other one is right under the drivers side bag bracket so I will probably remove it as well.

I put the replacement lower front end links on the bars and screwed them about half way in, the measure is around 22 - 22.5" from the center of the axle to the center of the eye bolt hole, the stock measure for the front of the leaf spring is around 21" on the car with rear hanging (no wheels or tires, on blocks) I think this will be about right with my larger tires but I have a couple of inches of adjustment if I need it. (it was hard holding the yard stick steady and take the picture :roll: )

I also put the rear shock mounts on and checked to see if there would be clearance with the bags, it looks like I should be ok, I can push the bags forward a bit if I need to.

I didn't have time to check the Explorer sway bar to see if it would fit with everything else so I will check that later.

I am going to put Slam Specialties SS-6 bags on the rear and the ride height on those are 7.25" so I hope I can get the upper bracket low enough (so it still welds to the frame).

In case you missed it on what I typed above, the frame measures 40" outside and 36" inside.

I will keep going, hopefully soon I will get the Comet in the shed and start putting this stuff on.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Is that a nickle on the rear? :?
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:Is that a nickle on the rear? :?
Yes, only because a penny was too small to fit over the hole :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

It was time for this to happen, I got up this morning and moved the Comet into the shed, it was a slow process because I had to turn off the tractor get off, steer the car the right way, get on and push until I needed to steer again and repeat the process, good thing it is less than 100 yards.

Then I decided my comet needed to be raised up, so I di, here it is up and level front to back and side to side.

And I guess you will find out the rest later because I need to get back out and try and get a stuck leaf spring bolt out, of course the last one.

I mean I did do this, 8" and 8.8" comparison, just remember my 8" is a Maverick rear so it is the narrowest 8" Ford made.

Back to it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

& you didnt roll the new rearend under the car ? curiosity would have got to me .
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:& you didnt roll the new rearend under the car ? curiosity would have got to me .
Would have liked to done more but just ran out of time and steam :roll:

As for rolling it under the car did but it was not quite that easy, I am not jacked up high enough for the tires to clear the bump stops when they are on the dollies. I did get it under there and hooked up the lower bars, which really adds to the trouble because I can't get the rear raised up without it spinning forward, so next time I think I will disconnect the bars, center the rear with the tires on and then try to raise it into position.

I had to put the trailer tire so I could be like Dan :P only problem is I have only one.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

2 thumbs up on the trailer tire LOL! Watching and waiting -

Dan

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

lavron wrote:
That pic with the front tires just inside the shed looks like all that pushin' caused your Comet to overheat and puke a little out the overflow. :lol: :lol: Now you've got it under cover where you can work on it rain or shine. Before it starts getting cold this fall, you need to stud up that open wall, sheath it in plywood/OSB and stick a man-door in it so you can heat the shed up and work on your car this winter. Just use screws so you can take it down to set the Comet free when the time comes. :roll:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:That pic with the front tires just inside the shed looks like all that pushin' caused your Comet to overheat and puke a little out the overflow.
Rats ate the radiator hoses off a long time ago but I guess the jostling around caused what was still in the block to spill out, it left quite a puddle on the floor.

My push rig worked pretty good, I had the tire strapped on the front of the tractor and then the Comet strapped on as well to keep it from getting away from me, I do live on top of a big hill :P

My wife was pretty cool about it, just said it looks like the truck got kicked out of the garage :roll:
Jims65cyclone wrote: so you can heat the shed up and work on your car this winter
Maybe I will be done before winter :roll: :P :P
bigdan wrote:2 thumbs up on the trailer tire LOL!
I only wish I had more (without taking them off the trailer) really I didn't want to risk messing up my wheels but I will have to put them on to fit everything up and get them in the proper place, so far that has been a bite because that 8.8 ain't lite.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I almost forgot to say I did get the left spring off after using the angle grinder to cut the eye off the spring, not sure how that helped except to destroy the spring, but I was able to spin the eye back and forth and then hit the bolt really hard with the sledge and a punch and it popped loose, the bolt must have been seized in the bushing and was spinning the sleeve inside the rubber, oh well :roll:

At least it is off the car, I still don't know if I will have to cut the bump stops and pinion snubber off the car but before I get too far along I need to get the exhaust system out.

One other thing I failed to consider was the crossmember between the frame rails (where the shocks bolt) I hope it will clear my air bags, if not I will have to do some modification to it.

I will go in to more detail on the install when I get rolling.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I had mine jacked up high enough to roll the rearend in & out with the wheels & tires I was going to use. good thing too because it went in & out many times fitting it up & doing the minitubs.Being up higher made it easier to work under there. I had planned on moving my bumpstops to the inside of the frame rail but I never did put them back on :roll: I wanted to see how it was going to look with the new wheels. isn't that knawin at ya?
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I wanted to see how it was going to look with the new wheels. isn't that knawin at ya?
I am a patient man :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

lavron wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I wanted to see how it was going to look with the new wheels. isn't that knawin at ya?
I am a patient man :roll: :P

See Ya,
Mike
That's part of the joy of mock up! I'm with Johnno - I set mine up high enough to be able to sit up underneath the car. Nothing weirder than trying to get a good weld in a half sitting up position. Good luck!

And here are my welder series rear sway bar install pics - first pic has the mockup bars installed.

Dan

Groover

Post by Groover »

Mike,

I feel like this project is really going to take off now. Looks like you're "cooking with gas". We're all pulling' for ya.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...