Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

I posted this once but then it appears the server went down and my post is gone, I guess it wasn't earth shattering anyway :roll:

Got the block out of the degreaser and finished it up today, back on the stand cleaned and sprayed down with some WD.

Pretty happy with it :)

Got a call from the place I ordered my pistons, back ordered until November :( so I guess I have more time to clean stuff up :P I guess Silv-O-Lite has to make them for me so I can say they were made just for me.

Put the crank in the Purple Power and think I will let it soak a couple of days them put the head in for a good bath.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Nothing like a nice clean crankshaft :roll: :P

I still need to polish the journals a little but that is for another time, I put it in the block with the caps because I thought that was the safest place for it right now.

Head is in for good soak now along with one of the rocker arm assemblies.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Cleaned something else today, or should I say I have been cleaning them the last few days buy leaving them soak in the Purple Power, I was surprised that it removed most of the paint as well.

I had scrubbed the valve cover with a scotch brite and some apple cider vinegar before I took this picture, I think it is ready for paint :P actually sprayed it with WD and it is sitting on top the head right now while I decide on a color for it, I figure since Ford did not have the 250 in 1964 I can determine my own color :roll: (I think 144=yellow, 170=red, 200=cream"ish" white) probably won't be blue, not sure what the next progression would be in the color but I am leaning toward grey or black bedliner.

The oil pan did not come out so clean.

It has to get modified anyway, so it is good enough, it is actually back in the bath because I thought the insides should be cleaner than they are, in reality it most likely won't make a difference.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Mike,

That valve cover came out super clean! I am getting ready to prep mine for paint.

Did the purple power remove all the oil / grease from the inside too?

Ben

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

BST'65 wrote:Did the purple power remove all the oil / grease from the inside too?
Yes, All I did was to wire brush a little paint off right around the flange and I used some aircraft stripper on the sticker that was on the side. mostly just a little bit of rubbing it with a scotchbrite pad was all it needed, I used the vinegar on the pad as well just because of the rusty spots which will probably have to be sanded before I paint it. I did nothing on the inside except hose it out with the pressure washer.

Like I said, I left it soaking in the PP for 3 or 4 days, I looked at it two days ago and noticed the paint was coming off as well which surprised me because the solution is not really caustic but you want to wear rubber gloves because it degreases your skin really well too. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Lavron,

Ohh man! It's like brand new.

Thanks for the info I'll give it a shot!

Ben

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Paint was probably loose from wear/ time. I like the PP stuff...use that in the solvent tank instead of the stupidly toxic crap they used to (still do I guess) sell in the 5-gallon cans. Works just about as good too. When I think about all the time I spent with my mitts in that stuff back when (no gloves of course...different era!)...ugh man!! :D :lol: :lol: Parts are lookin' good! :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Paint was probably loose from wear/ time.
I agree, even though the valve cover looked good, paint wise, before I put it in.

This is the oil pan after a couple more days soaking and a quick shot with the pressure washer, PP doesn't help with rust, I need a big vat of vinegar as well I guess :roll:

I did see yesterday that the local lumber supply had some blast media, might get some of that sometime, only problem I will have is not enough air to blast very long.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Rocket989 wrote:When I think about all the time I spent with my mitts in that stuff back when (no gloves of course...different era!)...ugh man!!
Maybe THAT explains that second thumb on your left hand. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I pondered a minute about putting this in the "Bodyshop" section but decided not too because I can't qualify myself as someone that can instruct anyone on the correct way to do body work, besides I would be embarrassed by the pros on here :oops:

So anyway, yes I did this today, that is real not a digital rendition. :roll: I am trying to eat my elephant :shock:

Still need to do a little more work and think I will get some long sanding blocks to finish it up, hopefully I did a good enough job it is hard to tell what is missing from my hood now besides rust :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

BTW, I am pretty happy with how my hood is going, some may not like it but it what I was hoping for.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

nose trim & hood ornament & paint! ding ding ding what do I win? :P
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:nose trim & hood ornament & paint! ding ding ding what do I win? :P
Well not real sure where the hood ornament would mount on my hood. :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Guess I should of included this shot earlier for those that might not know where the hood ornament mounts on a '64.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

You did good! How's that elephant taste? :lol:
Jim