Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
lavron
Site Admin

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:how much did that small tank cost? tank & gas cost.
Tank was $140 gas $20, they had a smaller tank but thought this one was better, they said I could trade up if I wanted a bigger tank for the difference in cost.
poboyjo65 wrote:why don't you use the gas now that you've got it?
My gas line is too small to attach to the fitting, hopefully tomorrow I can resolve that. How much pressure do I give the gas?
poboyjo65 wrote:why didnt you just weld the tubs up on top, instead of those plug welds?
Those plates 3/16" and I was afraid I would burn through more than weld and I figured I would have better luck plug welding them and they would be a little neater in the trunk.

Also I forgot to mention that the 2 lb. spool and the 10 lb. spool cost about the same price so I am hoping from this point forward it will be cheaper with the gas.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got the rear filler pieces final welded and radius ground, I hated grinding off my good welds :P

I had to persuade the wheel wells a little to get them up against the filler panel, I think they turned out ok.

Now all that is left on the structural part of the rear install is the shock mounts and the bump stop mounts. I got the bump stops today, they are kinda hugeish, but they will fit.

Meant for a 4X4 I guess, but they should give me a softer landing than solid bump stops.

I will try to get going on the rest of the mounts so I can get this done and move to the front, I may have to jump up there anyway because because my shocks won't be here until next week sometime and I don't want to do the mounts until I get them.

BTW, I did plug the hole in the tire and so far it is holding air, I can see why they don't recommend patching a sidewall they are pretty thin compared to the tread area.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

lavron wrote:
BTW, I did plug the hole in the tire and so far it is holding air, I can see why they don't recommend patching a sidewall they are pretty thin compared to the tread area.

See Ya,
Mike
Sidewall flex
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SASSY wrote:
lavron wrote:

See Ya,
Mike
Sidewall flex
that's the best way I can describe why you don't patch a side wall of a tire...you call it what you want or come up with your reason or better yet...patch a side wall,,,POP don't care what you do,it's your tire...I just won't do it...pop
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

popscomet wrote:POP don't care what you do,it's your tire.
It is just to hold air while I am working on the car, there is a new tire sitting here waiting for me to get my job done :P Not advocating for patching the sidewall of a tire it would scare me to drive on it, my life is worth a little more than $60 I think.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that was said to FRED,,,,AFTER HE POSTED ….SIDEWALL FLEX.....POP
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Anyway, I'm sure enjoying your new found energy on your project.
I really like the ride height your showing us and the rear suspenion is cool,
Now how 'bout an inch or 2 off the top???
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Fred you can say that again! but dont! :lol: 3 times is enough!! :lol: :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

No more needed. The third time's the charm. :lol: :lol:
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Now how 'bout an inch or 2 off the top???
Nope, Nope, Nope :D

I will leave that to Ride&Shoot. I like my headroom.
popscomet wrote:that was said to FRED,,,,AFTER HE POSTED ….SIDEWALL FLEX.....POP
Yes, I know, I just didn't want anyone to think I was OK with it. I am even a little uncomfortable with it sitting there, thinking that plug may blow out of there at any minute and hit me in the eye :roll: :lol: :lol:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:I really like the ride height your showing us and the rear suspenion is cool,
I like it, as much work as the rear 4-link has been it has been fun to do, I guess I am like Dan (and others) and enjoy figuring out how to make it work, make a few mistakes along the way as well :roll: I can't wait to see how the air bags work, it will make it the first time I have ever seen an air ride system in person :P

CAUTION RANT! I really hate the magazine how-tos I read on the net, you can tell who sponsors them by the products they promote, most of it expensive, a guy like me has to read them and then figure out how to do the same thing with an old trailer house tongue and some junk yard parts. I guess if someone would send me free parts I could give them glowing reviews as well :roll: :P END RANT! It really helps being on here and getting knowledge from others, I mostly take all suggestion and advice and heed them, sometimes I even implement them :?

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

poboyjo65 wrote:Fred you can say that again! but dont! :lol: 3 times is enough!! :lol: :lol:
Working on my post count :roll: lol
So, just hit submit once?

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Got the bump stop mounts made and welded in today.

They fit tight in there but I have clearance from the tire when the rear is dropped.

Would have been better if they were 1 1/2" wide instead of 2" but don't think they will interfere with anything, they may need to have a spacer put under them to drop them down some but I thought it was better to have them too high than too low. There is plenty of bolt if I need them down up to 1/2" or so.

Next will be the upper shock mount as soon as the shocks get here, and then it will be time to start thinking about putting a floor back in there.

Until the parts get here I can crawl in the engine bay and keep taking stuff off in front.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread