Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Jims65cyclone

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote:
Jims65cyclone wrote:On my first Cyclone I had a 289 with 2 4-barrels. It was my daily driver, so I had it set up so I ran on the front two barrels of the front carb to half throttle. From half throttle on, the other six barrels joined in. Man, she was sweet! 8)
Jim
did you have much motor under those 2 4's??
It had a moderate cam in it. Don't remember the specifics, but it had a pretty good lope at idle.
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:
popscomet wrote:
Jims65cyclone wrote:On my first Cyclone I had a 289 with 2 4-barrels. It was my daily driver, so I had it set up so I ran on the front two barrels of the front carb to half throttle. From half throttle on, the other six barrels joined in. Man, she was sweet! 8)
Jim
did you have much motor under those 2 4's??
It had a moderate cam in it. Don't remember the specifics, but it had a pretty good lope at idle.
Jim
COOL 8)
pop/glenda

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Built my air ride control box today. It is built from scraps of the frame from shed (8x2" C-channel, galvanized) the front is a piece of 16 gauge from the steering mod I did earlier, I cut the rectangular holes with a Dremel tool that had tiny little cut-off wheels mounted in it, it took about 10 of them.

The spots on the front were because I was priming it outside and it started to rain :roll:

So the rectangular holes are for the paddle valves and the two round holes are for the compressor switch (to turn it off manually if needed) and the other is a momentary (or push and hold) button to work the air tank drain, I wish I would have got the round holes straight across :roll: I sprayed truck bed liner on the front and test fit everything ( the paddles are only just barely pushed it because I need to have them out for now)

I spaced the paddle valves so they were in pairs, my thoughts are a front pair and a rear pair.

I have more holes to drill for air lines and wires, etc. so I might get that done tomorrow. This will mount between the front seats.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Riding on air today, I got the control box plumbed, I did have a few problems but it was mainly because I did not look at the 1/4" air brake line before I mounted the manifold into the box, I had it almost centered but I couldn't get the line to flex in that short of distance, I had to offset it so it aligned with the paddle valves.

I hooked the braided stainless leader hoses to the front bags and used bulkhead fitting through the firewall that also had a 1/4" push to connect fitting on the inside (1/4" NPTF on the outside to match the leader hose) On the rear I only had to install the 1/2" NPT to 1/4" PTC fitting in the bag and pushed all my air brake line into them, I left the air lines a little long so I could route and trim them to fit later.

I did not bother to hook up the gauges at this time, just wanted to see if it would all work, I have the car sitting on the air bags right now and will check and see if they leak down by in the morning.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good! 8)
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Lookin' good! 8)
Jim
Thanks Jim.

I went out this morning and it was still up like I left it yesterday, so at least there is no major leaks :) can't say yet if it will leak down over time so I guess I will wait and see, it will also be more precise once I get the gauges installed for me to be able to see if there is a pressure drop. Guess I might have to go ahead and put them in temporarily, or just say it is good for now because everything will have to come back out sometime anyway.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I would sure enjoy a short video of your car from full down to full up and back 8)
Air is something Im interested in mainly for "parade height" on the snubbers.
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:I would sure enjoy a short video of your car from full down to full up and back
I might when I have a bit more done (I thought about it however), I mean I am not on the ground right now (can't believe how hard it is not to put it on the floor to get a real idea of what it will be like) mainly because it is a hassle to get it back up on stands and I like being able to roll around under it and I am in a hurry to make my deadlines :roll: :P . I guess you guys would have to vote/goad/encourage me to do one sooner :P

I am liking the air, I am curious how it will ride, there is not a lot of bounciness too it but then again there is no motor in it and the rear has jack stands under the diff (the tires are not on a solid surface) I am not opposed to a firm ride but don't want to drive a lumber wagon :P

I do think I am going to have to try and put the longer bump stops on the front because I think (pretty sure) the air bag internal bump stop is what it is sitting on when all the way down, they said that was bad :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Mike,, I heard your the Photoshop expert 'round there,,, thought you'd be able to put your vid on made up background in a cool color in the wink of an eye.
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

SASSY wrote:Mike,, I heard your the Photoshop expert 'round there,,, thought you'd be able to put your vid on made up background in a cool color in the wink of an eye.
Well I can get around in PS, not really an expert :roll:

Fred (or anyone else interested) here you go, my Comet is back on the floor and going up and down.

https://vimeo.com/297803199

Hopefully you can see that, if not let me know, I just signed up to use Vimeo instead of using YouTube.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Man that looks good!!
I really like the car at rest low. Not lowrider low but enough so that every gearhead takes notice!
Damit!! Now I gotta look at doin bags,,,
Thanks for the effort!
Fred

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Mike, that video was way pass COOL. Your a genius!! Both your work on the air bag system and your video, keep it up. Andy

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Now, THAT'S COOL! 8)
Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

SO COOL !!!.....you did GOOD !!!
pop/glenda

Cobraguy

Post by Cobraguy »

Watched it so many times I started feeling seasick.....up and down up and down and up....
Good work and nice video.