Lavron's '64 Build Thread

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
bigdan

Re: Lavron's '64 Build Thread

Post by bigdan »

Flapper wheels with a dust mask ;)

Good luck!

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I would only grind where your going to weld, then spray some copper-weld between the plate and frame.
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

bigdan wrote:Flapper wheels with a dust mask
I ordered a stack of flapper wheels and some dust masks, this is going to be fun :roll:
tomb22 wrote:I would only grind where your going to weld, then spray some copper-weld between the plate and frame.
Tom
I figured as much so. I will see if I can find some copper-weld.

It is another hot one today, but I did manage to get the plates all cut out before I got too overheated (good thing I have some big shade trees).

Now I need to grind the edges smooth and even everything up (make them pretty) and then cut the c-notch into all of them.

Those i-beams sprung apart as I cut the plates out of them. I said they were 8" tall before but they are actually 10" tall.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Sometimes everything seems to work against me, I have 3 - 4 1/2" grinders and everyone of them pooped out on me today, I will admit two of them were HF grinders and the last one was one from my dad's stuff (a little better grinder, it at least has a trigger). One of my HF graders I have had for 20 years or so, it is one of the orange ones and I think I can get it operational again, the brushes need replaced but it got hot enough the little plastic plugs will not come out where the brushes go (I have the brushes) I ended up breaking one plug getting it out and I can not get them out of the blue grinder at all.

Tomorrow we are going to Springfield so I think I will pick up 2 more HF grinders while I am there, maybe they will last me through this project :P

I did get some done before all my grinders quit on me, I got the edges ground on frame plates and started cutting the c-notch when everything went south on me, not to be defeated I went ahead and tacked the upper 4-link mounts to the plates.

I had to use the DA sander with 60 grit to remove the paint from where the brackets need to weld on because my grinders are all broken.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

I feel your pain. My grinders are all dewalt, a couple of the 7a and several 11a units (i hate swapping wheels while I'm busy LOL). Last winter 2 of them crashed the same day :evil: oh well. Looking good!

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I hate changing wheels too, I had one with a cutoff wheel, one with a grinder wheel and one with a wire brush.

I really can't complain about that orange HF grinder I have used and abused it, I even cut a groove through the concrete footing to run a sewer pipe, I was sure that would ruin it but that was several years ago and it just kept on plugging along, I am sure it was one I gave $8 for 15 or 20 years ago.

I may have to get 3 again, I got used to that :roll: even though I think I can get two of them going again, I know my dad's old grinder needs brushes, it just started running slower and slower until it wouldn't go (it was the last one to die)

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Bad day to go to the city it was really nice out, oh well :roll: I am back in business with grinders now :D I ended up with a Ryobi cordless one as well but I may keep that aside for when I have to go to the JY.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I hear ya! The battery stuff has come a loooooong way. When (if?) some of my junk gives it up they’ll likely be replaced with rechargeable gear!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:I ended up with a Ryobi cordless one as well but I may keep that aside for when I have to go to the JY.

See Ya,
Mike
I'd use it . just sitting there not getting used seems to wusify the batteries. they get lazy & wont hold a charge as long.
Johno

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Rocket989 wrote:I hear ya! The battery stuff has come a loooooong way. When (if?) some of my junk gives it up they’ll likely be replaced with rechargeable gear!!
You ain't kidding. I have a 20v deWalt 1/2" cordless impact in my tool bag at work I wouldn't be caught without. They're dang near waterproof, drop proof, etc. Amazing. Same stuff at home.

Dan

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

poboyjo65 wrote:I'd use it . just sitting there not getting used seems to wusify the batteries. they get lazy & wont hold a charge as long.
It is one of the Ryobi +ONE line, it uses the same battery as my impact driver, drill and little skill saw. So my biggest thing is maybe getting more batteries.

With that being said I will probably load it with a cut off wheel and use it when I don't want to drag the extension cord out.
Rocket989 wrote:I hear ya! The battery stuff has come a loooooong way. When (if?) some of my junk gives it up they’ll likely be replaced with rechargeable gear!!
I have had the impact driver and drill for a long time, I really have not used the drill too much until recently, with the lithium batteries they seem to go a long time and have plenty of power, well until they go dead and they just stop, no slow down. Might look at the cordless sawzall +ONE as well in the future.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Lithium batteries may be better,,,, but as far as the regular batteries a sawsall runs them down really fast & so does the little circular saws. especially fresh damp treated lumber. just draws too much power. if you only have a board or 2 to cut they are fine,any much more than that break out the extension cord.
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I may get some 4.0Ah Batteries because I am thinking about their sawzall as well for my collection :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Now I have grinders again I went out and finished the c-notches.

I also cut out more of the rusty floor and mocked up my bag brackets, they are upside down in this picture because I am going to have to cut a bigger hole forward but the brace is in the way. That brace is actually going to come out of there, I have a part to replace it. The frame is beginning to turn out as it comes down behind the rear axle so I will need to trim the backs of the upper bag brackets wider to compensate.

Looking for shocks right now, I think something similar to a KYB 344090 will work, they are truck shocks but I think I will have to go with something long (and a lot of stroke) to handle the suspension lifting (allow the droop so I can change rear tires) I thinkI have said the bag collapse to 2.7" (no intension of having them any lower than ride height) and expand to 11", setting ride height at 6" which is what the all-thread is set to in the picture.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C42R8W/?c ... _lig_dp_it

I need the 5/8" ringeyes on each end.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Not a lot of time today but I bent up my c-notches, I decided I would make them instead of buying them :roll: it took more time cutting the top strip off the ibeam (and a few cutting discs) than making the bends, I wish I had some type of break or press but just clamped them down and wailed away at them with a little sledge hammer (I cut grooves where they needed to bend as well) one actually bent and broke off but no big deal I will just weld it back on, I will probably reinforce all the bends with a bead of weld.

They are too wide but I will trim them after I get the side plates up on the car and fit them to match.

I will attempt to bend the top plates as well, maybe tomorrow I can get out before the heat :oops:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread