Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by tomb22 »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Looks great! What was your source for the solenoid?
Jim
Thanks Jim. I'm pretty sure I got it off Ebay thru Jegs. I tested it before I made it permanent and it worked fine. It also came with wire, switch and a switch mount. I'm not using the switch but have it connected to a relay tripped by a remote entry fob.
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Man, you’re making good progress!! Squeezing in the AC, PS, etc...right-on!! Exhaust looks mighty fine too, nice work! :lol:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Rocket989 wrote:Man, you’re making good progress!! Squeezing in the AC, PS, etc...right-on!! Exhaust looks mighty fine too, nice work! :lol:

Thanks Rocket. That's a mighty fine looking car you have. Wish I was at the point of being able to drive it around. It's finally warming up a little here. Still some snow on the ground.
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Well It's been a while since I've posted anything. I was kind of bummed because I didn't finish it by June. :( When it warmed up I started fishing a little, (a lot). Anyway I have been working on it. I finished the cutting and buffing and have most of the outside trim on.

I've got the back seat windows installed and hooked up to electric actuators.

Today I got the last piece of headliner installed. Been working on that most of last week.

Maybe in August sometime if I stay at it. I'm trying to put something on it each day.

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great Tom keep after it,the fish will wait on you ! :lol:
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:Maybe in August sometime if I stay at it. I'm trying to put something on it each day.
My motto as well :roll: , thanks for the update, keep at it and it will be rolling soon.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

loman

Post by loman »

Looking good. Keep at it.

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks guys for spurring me on. Today I glued the headliner in on the back of the car. I also hooked up the battery for the first time and no big surprises except the security system went off and my wife had to come out to the garage and see whats happening. HaHa

Here is a picture of my dash. I caulked in the cracks and then covered it with black vinyl. The bracket is for the tach.
DSC01497.JPG
DSC01497.JPG (50.08 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Looks fantastic Tom!! :D :D :lol: Now ‘cause you seem like a nice guy, get some 6-ton stands & lose those cinder blocks man!! :shock:

I’ll admit to being a bit paranoid and maybe using too many stands/jacks but you only get one noggin brother!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Rocket989 wrote: lose those cinder blocks man!! :shock:

!
Heck if they hold up buildings they should hold up the assend of a comet :lol: :lol: though I did see a young guy with them turned sideways under a big ole 4x4 ! on a truck page,,, several of us told him he better turn them up but he never replied back. had 6 stands under my comet at one time, 2 were roaming ,not touching at the top & they went where ever I was working,,,Catchers! :lol:
Johno

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Looking great, Tom! Keep at it. It'll give the fish time to grow a little bigger. :D
Jim

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

The river has been up and fast so I've been trying to get the car done. Got the windshield and rear window in today. Cleaned up the trim and got all the pieces installed.
Had to come up with a jig to compress the outside upper windshield trim on one side so it would catch on the straps you mount on the car. That took a lot of time.

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

So your upper trim was stretched apart? & would not catch right? onthe 5 clips that you screw to the car? or am I misunderstanding you? I had mine off but it just popped off because most of the clips were rusty,& 3 had broke letting it pooch up. I just put on new clips & put it back on but I have a new window & seal ready to go in,,,for a year or so now :roll: :roll: I'd like to see your jig & get a better idea in case I need to do it.
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:So your upper trim was stretched apart? & would not catch right? onthe 5 clips that you screw to the car? or am I misunderstanding you? I had mine off but it just popped off because most of the clips were rusty,& 3 had broke letting it pooch up. I just put on new clips & put it back on but I have a new window & seal ready to go in,,,for a year or so now :roll: :roll: I'd like to see your jig & get a better idea in case I need to do it.
On the drivers side 2 clips didn't catch the trim and yes it's the clips that you screw to the car. I bought new ones and at first thought I might have gotten the wrong ones but they fit perfect on the passenger side. So how do you bend the trim to make it narrower? Here is what worked for me.

I used 2 pieces of tong and grooved hardwood flooring and had problems with the whole thing wanting to kick up so I screwed a piece of wood across the top and into the bench and turned the wood vice and kept testing the clip for a tight fit. Then I took a piece of wood and hit it in the inside of the trim to help it bend and stay. There is a groove in the trim and I kept the piece of wood along side the groove. It worked well but I took a lot of time to make sure I didn't ruin the trim.
I hope this helps.
Tom
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Tom I hope I dont need to do it but yes it helps to understand by seeing what you did so Thanks !
Johno