Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by poboyjo65 »

Looks great Tom! Tires look pretty wide beforehand. I guess you got the same disease I have in always wanting wider tires back there! :lol:

to do a sig pic try to resize it on your puter first if possible. But it can be done on p bucket too. but first click on ''user control panel'' at top left, then click on ''edit signature'', copy & paste the img code to your pic in the box & name or description ,,whatever in the box
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks for the info and the complement. Here is what I've done in the last 2 days. Got the shocks mounted to a new frame cross member. Had to remove a little of the lower trunk space

Here's another look at it

Now I need to remove the rear end and cross member and weld all the tabs on good. Then weld the cross member back in.
Last edited by tomb22 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Movin right along & it looks great too! This build is going to be fun to watch, keep us posted!! :D

Good job on the sig pic too! That's the way I like my women >short,black & wide! :P
Johno

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Great job on your fabrication,it's coming along nicely. Johnno,I would like to comment on your last post but I can't stop laughing. Andy

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

OL POP had a nice long post with some choice things to say about JOHN's post,,,,,,, :shock: but just before I hit the button ..I BACKED OUT :? :shock: :!: :shock: :?
pop/glenda

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Well I cut the rear end out and then welded the tabs on good. Painted it up and put it back together with all new bearings and seals.

Today I put the trunk back together and sealed up the seams.

What do you guys use to spray the inside of the trunk for sound deadening and insulating qualities
Last edited by tomb22 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Nice progress! good job! :D
I use flowtech afterburners to drowned out any other noises! :lol: no sound deadner, but I coated mine with roll on bed liner .
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

Love to see people "cut 'em up",, great work!!
poboyjo65 wrote:Nice progress! good job! :D
I use flowtech afterburners to drowned out any other noises! :lol: no sound deadner, but I coated mine with roll on bed liner .
I think this is the correct answer, quite hotrod?,,, what the H?,,, lol
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Thanks for the compliments. I'm spraying the bottom with bed liner and I wanted to spray the trunk area with a sound deadener. I want to use the car as a daily driver and be able to talk to my wife. It has flow master mufflers and sounds good on the outside.
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I have 2chamber flow master's,with 18in turn downs,,and at times it bothers my ears at a certain low rpm,,I suggest a pair of tail pipes,it didn't bother me when I 1st built it ,as I get older it does.....but it has been this way for over 20yrs and I hate to change anything about it.....pop jmo
pop/glenda

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

tomb22 wrote:Thanks for the compliments. I'm spraying the bottom with bed liner and I wanted to spray the trunk area with a sound deadener. I want to use the car as a daily driver and be able to talk to my wife. It has flow master mufflers and sounds good on the outside.
Just razzin ya, the loudest thing on mine is the supercharger when its workin, well sometimes the tires :mrgreen:
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I had a pair of 2 chamber and I could only drive for 30 minutes so I swapped them out for some 3 chamber. They still sound good outside but you don't get that droning noise inside.

Today I installed the rear end for the final time. I thought I had it figured out how to do it easily, but it turned out to be a wrestling match. I did win.
Here is a couple of pictures to prove it.

Last edited by tomb22 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I learned how to put my rear in pretty quick. I would have the tires on it & roll it under there. of course it was a little different - leaf springs bolted to the axle. I would push from the back eyes & get it lined up then push down,making the front eye go up starting in to the pocket. usually had to give the front eyes a few love taps with a bfh until I put on the caltracs ,,then the rubber bushings were gone ,,they were the resistance, so it went in easier then. after the front bolts were in I could just jack up the rear until the rear eye touched the frame & ease it up until the shackle slid right in. By the last time I could put in & everything tight in about 15-20 min ,,,except the d-shaft. Your pics remind me of doing mine. really nice to watch for a change!! It coming right along nicely, looking good! & thanks for keeping us posted!! :D
Johno

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I really like seeing these because I am going to do a triangulated 4-link as well so this gives me a preview.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

lavron wrote:I really like seeing these because I am going to do a triangulated 4-link as well so this gives me a preview.

See Ya,
Mike
Your 64 should be slightly easier to move the tank pocket back like he did. I think a 64 pocket is alike on both sides right? where 65's have the pass side a little bit deformed, makes it harder to mate back up.
Johno