Tomb's 65 Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
tomb22

Re: Tomb's 65 Comet Build

Post by tomb22 »

I got the back seat in and installed the roll bar. You can see the bracket for the shoulder harness.

Another picture of the bracket

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

that's nice,,OL POP has put off putting a hoop in my comet for yrs...we build cages for these race cars,,just seems like my comet always get over looked.....but yours is spiffy,,,just like the rest of your work 8) :D good luck !! OL POP
pop/glenda

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

going back to page 8 of your post,It looks like I have the same Speed hut gauges ,except I went with the next size up speedo which I wil put In from the front so the new bezel is visible
A question on the smaller gauges .
Its hard to tell in your photos but did you go right through with the hole saw so that the speed Hut gauge bezels come in from the front face and just cover the enlarged hole or did you use the hole saw and counterbore from the back so the entire gauge sits in behind ? I have a scrap bezel I have been playing with and there isn't a lot of meat to play with.
PS .I look forward to seeing new posts on the progress your making

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

popscomet wrote:that's nice,,OL POP has put off putting a hoop in my comet for yrs...we build cages for these race cars,,just seems like my comet always get over looked.....but yours is spiffy,,,just like the rest of your work 8) :D good luck !! OL POP
Thanks POP. I appreciate you looking at my progress. Here is another picture with the shoulder strap in place.

Then I started to install the counsel

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:going back to page 8 of your post,It looks like I have the same Speed hut gauges ,except I went with the next size up speedo which I wil put In from the front so the new bezel is visible
A question on the smaller gauges .
Its hard to tell in your photos but did you go right through with the hole saw so that the speed Hut gauge bezels come in from the front face and just cover the enlarged hole or did you use the hole saw and counterbore from the back so the entire gauge sits in behind ? I have a scrap bezel I have been playing with and there isn't a lot of meat to play with.
PS .I look forward to seeing new posts on the progress your making
I made the back plate and set it up so that the plate screwed to the front bezel. The gauges are installed in the back plate. I then took a 13/4" hole saw and drilled out the plastic bezel from the front. The size of the front bezel holes are the same size as the face of the dials on the gauges. You can't see the bezels of the gauges thru the front bezel. All you see is the face of the dial, looking straight on. Hope this helps. I remember a lot of measuring :!:
tomb's 65

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Gauges look great,just like the rest of the car. Making me want a rollbar so I could have a shoulder harness. I didnt wear seatbelts for years until it became law,& then I didnt for quite some time. but decided to start wearing them when they started handing out tickets. by then most of them were easy to put on,more so than old cars & trucks. I feel naked without it now but still forget to put it on until I see my neighbors copcar,that reminds me everytime :lol: .

what is the metal to the left of the dash pad?
Your signal lever, is that from a newer car ,with cruise? is it broke? I keep seeing it hanging & just curious.
nearly didnt see the ac vents, cool! :lol: console is gonna be nice too!!
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Gauges look great,just like the rest of the car. Making me want a rollbar so I could have a shoulder harness. I didnt wear seatbelts for years until it became law,& then I didnt for quite some time. but decided to start wearing them when they started handing out tickets. by then most of them were easy to put on,more so than old cars & trucks. I feel naked without it now but still forget to put it on until I see my neighbors copcar,that reminds me everytime :lol: .

what is the metal to the left of the dash pad?
Your signal lever, is that from a newer car ,with cruise? is it broke? I keep seeing it hanging & just curious.
nearly didnt see the ac vents, cool! :lol: console is gonna be nice too!!
Thanks JOHNO. My wife wanted shoulder straps if she is to drive it so I put the roll bar in to get the shoulder straps. I guess without airbags the shoulder straps would be the next best thing
Ah! You are very observant. I covered the old dash pad with vinyl and could not get it to look real good on the ends. Plus I couldn't get the ends of the dash pad to stay down on the dash real well, so I made these aluminum trim pieces to fit the curvature of the pillar trim and the dash pad. There screwed down on top and bottom. I think they look better than the messed up padded dash ends.
The lever you see is for the cruise control and it's very adjustable, up/down, forward/back. I've got it hanging down and back so I don't break it off while working in the car.
I still need to put the turn signal lever in.
Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

it's all those little things that make it work so well...well done...……….pop
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was missing parts.they look like they belong there but I had never noticed any of those on any car but thought if they were body color I might have overlooked them . dashpad is still on my to do list. :roll:
Johno

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I fired up the engine 2 days ago and got it timed, choke set and the idle set. Today I was setting up the TV cable on the AOD. Had it idling most of the afternoon while setting up that cable and it never went over 180degrees. Couldn't believe how sensitive the TV cable arm is. Everything seems to be working fine.
I'm hyped to get it done know. Need to put some seats, bumpers and some trim on it.
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

poboyjo65 wrote:Well thanks for clearing that up. I thought I was missing parts.they look like they belong there but I had never noticed any of those on any car but thought if they were body color I might have overlooked them . dashpad is still on my to do list. :roll:
Thanks JOHNO and POP. After I made those trim pieces, one of our sons told me he saw on a TV show where they used a heater to help shrink the vinyl where they needed to. I don't know if I would have gone down that road if I new that anyway.
Good luck with your dash pad
Tom
tomb's 65

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Today I bent up some heat shields to strap on the long tube headers hoping to block some of the heat from going up. Welded some clips on them to use some long pipe clamps around the header and tail pipe.

I've also been working on my counsel, finishing it up. Just have the cover/arm rest to build and install.

And another picture

Just need to put some seats in it and take it on it's maiden voyage :lol: . Looking forward to that, maybe tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks for looking
Tom
tomb's 65

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

tomb22 wrote:Just need to put some seats in it and take it on it's maiden voyage . Looking forward to that, maybe tomorrow or Friday.
Wow close 8) Looking good can't wait to hear your impression of it.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

bigdan

Post by bigdan »

Outstanding! Waiting for your report . . . Just slap a 5 gallon bucket seat in there and go! LOL

Dan
Long time search complete, 65 Cyclone project in progress!

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Beautiful fabrication, that my friend is TOP notch. Andy