Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
poboyjo65

Re: Rocket's Comet

Post by poboyjo65 »

That's a whole lot like work ,ain't it? :lol: You're getting a lot done so far in spite of the obstacles.
you should bring your car to pf ! :D
Johno

Rocket989

Need some help!

Post by Rocket989 »

Need some help...probably not thinking clearly... I had/ have (one side is done) to compress the springs AGAIN since we forgot to put the strut rods on. So, one pass side is done, but when I let the spring back down, it still drops too low to hook up the outer tie rod to the spindle. I gotta be missing something??? Do I go ahead and hook the tie rod up while the spring is compressed?? I just don't wanna screw up any of the steering stuff!! :o :shock: :o

On a positive note, General Spring had the bushings...so good to go...if I can ever get back to the rear!! :shock:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Can't you turn the wheel to bring the tie rod to it?

You have been busting a**; great job. Maybe you aren't doing enough beer thinking at this moment. It usually work's for me.

Stacey
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If memory serves me correct, I unbolted the idler arm from the frame to have more slack when putting on the t-rod ends. You might be better to get the rear in so you can roll it for the susp to compress enought to hook all of it up.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Stacey! It's not a lateral thing...it's vertical...I just wanna make sure I don't hose anything up if I hook up the tie rod and let the coil down. I guess it's the same as jacking up the nose the Comet, but without a shock (since the spring comp is installed)...probably way over-thinking but I am beat a** down a bit! :D :mrgreen:

comethead

Post by comethead »

I'd put her down on the wheels before getting the steering linkage connected.

Give'er hell Rocket!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

loman

Post by loman »

Keep up the hard work Rocket! You can have it back together for Pigeon Forge.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Joe - not sure whose a** is getting kicked! :shock: :lol: :lol:

I've only got tomorrow left and the storm blew down a huge limb that landed on the fence…so maybe MOST of tomorrow!

So far:

-Got rear in today…finally!! The bushings from General Spring were right…albeit a wee softer than the ones that came w/ the springs from McVeighs; if I had it to do over, I'd ask them for (4) more to cover the frame side! Also, FFS…I put on shock plate on wrong even though I KNOW better!! I put the stiffer ones on the frame.

-Got steering linkage at least IN the car…pitman was a PITA to cinch up on the splines but it's ready for lock-washer/ nut. Pretty much everything is attached to that and the idler arm.

-Got pass side strut rod in. I was gonna do the driver side tonight, but missed the kids too much and after they were in bed, all the gas I had went into putting away the tools and cleaning-up!

To do tomorrow:

-Get driveshaft hooked up, steering linkage wired up to itself, driver side strut rod, e-brake cables tossed over exhaust.

-Front hubs ON, then wheels and tires at all 4 corners and onto the dollies.

-TIghten up driver side exhaust!

-Parts shuffling, cleaning, and BIG A** tree limb chain-sawing!! :o :o :shock: :D

Some pics over the last couple days!

First, the rear wheels/ tires fit!! Most of y'all know I bought a '57 Merc wagon rear not knowing they were WIDER than the Fords…until AFTER I built it…! :shock: :shock: A PITA of finding rims. '99-'04 Jeep GC 16" spare rims!…6-inches of back spacing! So with the rear being exactly 3-inches wider, that should give 4.5" BS net. The pass side will be a little closer, but I probably coulda gone w/ 225's, MAYBE even 235's…

So the pass side leaf spring is a wee crooked after everything is torqued down. I'm GUESSING this'll fix itself with weight on it??

Column parts I'll probably need you guys help installing…shucks, I don't remember how to put the column back together!! :o :) :(

Look at that drop!

General progress pics:

Last edited by Rocket989 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Got the front hubs and caliper brackets on, driver strut rod, etc. and Comet is on dollies!! I'm a little PO'd I didn't get more done but thankful it all went well (sans all my self-inflicted re-do's!!) enough, safe, etc.! I've got a huge clean-up effort and we'll see how it moves on the dollies w/o the steering connected! :shock: :o :) :D :D :mrgreen:

Snapped a few pics I'll try and get posted later!!

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

those dollies are the next best thing to a pocket on a tee shirt,or silk underware,,we put a race car on 4 of them and can spin it around like a button on a out house door........POP.............keep up the good work :!: :wink: :wink:
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Pop!! I'll find out later when I go out to clean-up the catastrophe and push the Comet over.

The only thing buggin' me is that pass rear spring that's crooked; didn't get better with weight on it ( though the arse of a Comet ain't much weight!). I got a couple good pics of it. Even though the rear is overall wider than it oughtta be, checked a bunch to make sure the spring perches were spaced the same.. :? Maybe I just need to slide around a couple corners!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Back in the 90's when me and son redone Glenda's 56 ford,,I put a 8in rear housing and gear under it..was all bolted up and noticed the orginal leaf springs were at a slight slant,,,so I dropped it back down and used a air trammel and long-gated the spring perch hole to the inside just a tad,that put the springs hangin correct and took care of the problem.....that was many years ago and after many miles ,,,it's still ok.....POP
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Right-on Pop!! Tomorrow, I'm going to loosen the front and shackle bolts and see if it'll move over...makes me feel a little better that the driver side looks a little cockeyed too. I torqued everything down with the body supported on stands...! Makes me think about the LCA's... Still gotta torque those...with weight on 'em!! :shock: :D

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

How ridged (stiff) is your body? does it twist or flex when jacked up ,does your doors work proper when one corner is jacked up.....all of this has to come to mind when tighten up stuff.........same as welding in sub frame connecters...if things are not true to start with you'll have pre-mature wear on bushings ,etc.AM sure your aware of all this ,OL POP just wanted to remind you...good luck and your doing good work....just keep it up :lol: :shock: :lol: :wink:
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

The doors still closed by just letting go of 'em. Not sure if all the stuff gets torqued with weight or not. One thing that'd help a bunch is a pic of a rear shackle installed with springs, etc....preferably on a '64. I forgot to look before pulling the old stuff out and mine angle a lot to the front, and the rear eye pretty much touches the frame rail. Pretty sure the originals did too since the eyes had mark on 'em that showed that. All I've got to compare it to are 'Stangs and those shackles sit vertical!!

I searched around but couldn't find anything!