Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by Rocket989 »

What exhaust or muffler isn’t going to drone with turn-downs?? I never got it....on any vehicle remotely close to the ground it’ll reverberate (hope I spelled that right!).

Thanks Stacey but the pipes are farther apart then where where I just laid ‘em side by side. The short pieces actually go right into the couplers attached to the header reducers so no room for anything there.

Unrelated but the best sounding car I’ve had was an ‘82 Fox ‘Stang with a 289 that had early 351W heads and a small cam. I put long tube headers on it and turbo mufflers (I think Sonic Turbo’s - this was in ‘91-‘92??) stopped in front of the rear axle but no turn-downs (shucks the exhaust shop even ran it all over and down pass side since I kept the single hump crossmember). No clue why but everybody complimented how that thing sounded.

That car was one of a few that convinced me despite the nominal difference in stroke a 289 will RPM better than a 302. With the Windsor heads and cam cylinder pressure took a bit (I shudder to think how low compression was with probably 2V pistons and those heads!), but that thing would peg 6500-rpm easy. I still wish I would’ve had the dough for an 8.8 swap with 4.10’s and a T5 for that car!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ETA: And waddya mean “so-called mufflers”? You mean a 12” Race Bullet ain’t a muffler?!? :lol: :shock: OK, maybe not really..... :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Muttley

Post by Muttley »

You may want to consider Powerstick's. I've got a pair on my Comet and am very happy with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sffPvKsEfXc

Lip Ripper

Post by Lip Ripper »

Yes, the 289 will wind up. Mine had 4v pistons, 69 351 heads worked over and a 284 duration cam. I shifted at 6800 rpm's. I built it in 1983 and it is still running. 3 different buddies have owned it since I sold it.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Getting there... I got the exhaust all welded-up, rest of the STUFF back on the engine, MC bar & brace back in, got the clutch bled (one hopes good enough! :roll:), blah, blah. I had an idea for exhaust hangers for the side exit. Kinda similar to the Shelby stuff but it worked out better than I though...there are a couple 5/16 holes in the floors in JUST the right place. My luck doesn't run like that so I'm sure it'll come back around...especially since I had 2 5/16 bolts just the right length... :shock: Looking over my shoulder...

Pic for Joe - this is probably the easiest way I can think of to hang the Shelby style exhaust. Drill a hole in the center of a clamp, grind down a 5/16 bolt head and sandwich the floor with a rubber washer, fender washer and lock nut on each side. Cost about $9-10 bucks each.

Pic of engine compartment @ present:

I'm going to get the other side hung tonight & get the driveshaft in and parking brake connected back up. After that, it's pretty much ready to fill oil & coolant, pre-oil, and crank it up...... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got a ton of little (and BIG) clean-up stuff to finish, but it's pretty close to time to see if this thing will run or not!

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Lookin' good, Rocket! 8)
Jim

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I am giving it the two thumbs up!

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys! No free lunch though...when I was adjusting the p-brake I noticed the inside of the driver side wheel was wet. Looks like the caliper is leaking. :x :evil: :x

Things were NEW not refurb d*****! Deal with that later...won’t preclude a test drive or two if the rest goes OK. :lol:

Probably what I get for using a GM designed part on the heap anyway. :lol:

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Well, attempt #1 didn’t go so well... I can show you what happens to an aluminum rad when you forget to take the 1/2-inch ratchet out of the balancer.....

Thankfully that looks like the worst. The fan looks good other than a few rough edges (sad attempt at humor...).

On a slightly positive note, it did sound like she wanted to run.

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Ouch! Should have had that ratchet set so it would click when it turned. :roll:
Jim

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket,
You are not the first one to leave a ratchet on the balancer bolt, I've done it several times and not to proud to admit it. You have done a great job on your car and I'm sure it's going to run fine when you get er' cranked up.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys! I’m glad it spit the ratchet out when it did...I found the balancer bolt laying on the crank pulley!!

Torqued back up and just need to get a new rad and clean up the fan a little.

Loman - yeah man...100%...I’ve done it before and the brother like half a dozen. :shock:

caseville cyclone

Post by caseville cyclone »

Exhaust is looking sweet Rocket,but sorry to hear about the ratchet. When you work on a car alot,something like that is bound to happen! Keep plugging away. Andy

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Rocket,

You've been makin' a lot of progress! Looking good, everyone is gunna beat me to the road, Joe and the Falcon included. :lol:

Ben

RideAndShoot

Post by RideAndShoot »

Was the radiator not salvageable? Had to order a whole new one? What a bummer!
Chop everything, nothing is sacred.
Destroying the essence of motorcycles, one part at a time. <——— Cars now too I guess.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks Ben & R&S!

MAYBE could have had the older brother try to TIG it up but it's not a small hole...