Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by Rocket989 »

Hahaha! I was waiting for someone to ask! Figured nobody wanted to hurt my feelings sayin' it looked like a green turd or worse, a Pontiac motor(!) :shock: :shock: :D :D Shucks, when I did the suspension last year, I painted the Shelby pitman arm Gold just 'cause and figured I'd get a question about it?!? Nope! :D :D :lol:

Nah...it's kinda funny...I've painted a lot of stuff both Ford Blue's, Ford Gray, and Black over the years (decades) and I found a can of PlastiKote Alpine Green engine paint I've had since I was in my late teens. That's over 25 years ago! :shock: Well, wanting something different...there ya go. I didn't have enough & I thought DupliColor bought out PlastiKote so I bought DC Detroit Diesel green...doesn't quite match! :roll: Close-up you can see the different greens!

I later found out PlastiKote is still around and still sells Alpine Green...oh well... :oops: With the chip out of the block in back and as bas as the timing cover started out (corroded) I'll be lucky not to have a gusher fore AND aft...we'll see!! With the short block having originally been assembled by Brand X guys :roll: (I checked everything I could) and even a mismatched rocker arm (same ratio/ mfg, but they updated their stuff I guess and I one of 'em I got with the heads was seized), I figure the thing might have some sympathy on me giving it a good home and just haul ass! :D :D :wink: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

OLD can on left, new on right!
Last edited by Rocket989 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

Haha! Ok that works!
Nothing wrong with a purty color! :P
Looks badass!
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

I was wondering about that too! Just didn't want to be the one to mention it haha. I think it's cool it's one of those things that not everyone will notice but you know you did! When my pop rebuilt his T100 motor he painted it gold :lol: and he's a super subtle guy but he said what the hell no one will notice, just him! The next one we built he did metallic blue 8) like I said just that added touch, only you may ever know!

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I thought you were going for an ''industrial motor look'' :lol: :lol: Tha blue rocker had me stumped too figured you'd lost one somehow, but I too was afraid to bite on either. :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Heh - I should get use the stamped covers with painted spacers and get a couple Generac decals... :D "Eh, it's just an old generator motor..." Gonna keep the 260 decal too...part of the reason I painted the heads...little stealth mode. Hard to hide high compression and a big solid cam with race bullets and dumps though... :shock: :lol: :lol:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I use to see a lot of sbf's in air compressors for jack hammers. One side of the motor would run, with a dist with 4 plug wires .& the other 4 cylinders would pump air. I think some were even green. :D
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

poboyjo65 wrote:I use to see a lot of sbf's in air compressors for jack hammers. One side of the motor would run, with a dist with 4 plug wires .& the other 4 cylinders would pump air. I think some were even green. :D
Those can be very dangerous for underground mining.
I have herd stories of guys getting sick and not knowing why,then finding that the combustion side leaking into the air side of the engine. I haven't seen one for years wonder if they where outlawed?

Matt

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I've seen a couple of those engines in the natural gas fields of Northern Alberta. One bank for power (burning natural gas), the other bank for gas compression. It must work ok until compression goes down, you get a little oxygen in the gas compression side and then kaboom!! I wondered why they used SBF's though, because of the firing order I suppose?
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Got the trans & exhaust yanked & motor largely ready for the yank. Just need to unbolt the monte carlo bar, export brace, and the motor mounts!

Next up is getting the hydraulic stuff clutch installed (on the pedal & firewall), cutting the tunnel brace out & patching the badly cut (for the T10 linkage) hole in the floor.

QQ - I know the preferred method is engine/ trans go in together but I'm not sure the picker I've got will go high enough. My thought was to mount the T5 bell with fork & TO bearing installed & stuff the trans in from there. I've never done an install that way but putting the complete trans in after engine is not gonna work. We did/ do that on Fox 'Stangs but there's A LOT more room! :D :lol: :lol: Waddya you guys think?

Last edited by Rocket989 on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote: My thought was to mount the T5 bell with fork & TO bearing installed & stuff the trans in from there. I've never done an install that way but putting the complete trans in after engine is not gonna work.
As long as everything is lined up before hand (like the clutch disc) and try not to move the transmission input shaft so they slide right back together (or nearly) it should work, folks do it all the time switching clutches.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Cool - gonna mooch the tranny jack from the brother so it should be stable going in. Forgot to mention...I never checked the fluid in the T10 (boo on me) since it wasn't staying long. Forgot to bag/ zip-tie the tail shaft so thy lake shall form. Well, friggin thing has ATF in it!! :shock: :roll: :roll: Sigh...easier to clean-up than 80-90W I guess.

Loner

Post by Loner »

Sounds like your almost there. Stay safe!!
I have taken the front wheels off before just to get enough room for the cherry picker to work.
Just a tought.

Matt

BST'65

Post by BST'65 »

Rocket,

Curious to see how much/if any trouble that method gives you as I plan to do it the same way. My hoist won't go that high even with the front wheels off, besides (call me what you will) but, there is something unsettling about swinging around a 500-600lb motor and trans around that high up! :lol:

I'm sure it'll work fine! Looking good!

Ben

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I usually like to install them as a unit but on the comet I did it separate too. I cant remember the reason but I think I even had the trans in first. I cant remember why :? but it was uneventful best I recall :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Uneventful is good!! :lol: :lol: :D I'm gonna keep everything I can same-same for now...hope it helps expedite. Stuff like leaving the elec fuel pump & old line, MC (car could really use a 1" bore), etc. I'll go back and fix that junk later. I earned the Round 2 with the MC anyway...I knew it probably needed 1" but was tired of chasing parts.

Going to put the "custom" backseat in this round though...promised the kids I would!!! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: