Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Rocket989

Rocket's Comet Build

Post by Rocket989 »

So the time has just about come for "Phase 1"!! I took next week off and plan (hope?!?) to get the following stuff done:

-9" rear with disc brakes, new leaf springs (for Falcon Ranchero - stiffer than std. Comet stuff)
-ALL the front suspension and steering…UCA's, LCA's, coils, perches, QS idler/ pitman arms, steering box, inner/ outer tie rods, center link
-CSRP front disc brakes with new spindles, new shocks at all 4-corners
-Export brace, engine brace, Crites subframe connectors (already have the MC bar), 1" front sway bar

Basically, everything under the car is getting replaced!! I'll need to wait until the springs settle to install the Traction Masters and may or may not go with a rear sway bar, if I can find a 1/2" or 5/8" part.

Phase 2 will be getting the 260/ T10 swapped out for a 302/ T5 (have most of the parts and will start building that stuff soon - I've been working on it in parallel), then interior, and finally body/ paint. The latter two are likely to take some time but NBD!! My plan has been to make it safe, handle and stop well, then add POWER!!

We should get a pool going on whether I can finish in a week or not! :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll start getting pics up and will toss up plenty as it progresses. I've spent the last two years getting it running right, fixing A LOT of wiring, prepping the above parts for install, and saving the loot to buy all the stuff. I gotta say…add 50% to whatever ya estimate…it's the little stuff that'll kill ya!! I'm hoping to limit to TWO trips to parts/ hardware store; we'll see! :)

Current steering:

Current under car rear view:

Under car:

Current interior:

Engine compartment when I bought it:

Engine compartment now:

I'll also get plenty of pics of all the shiny new parts, just for Joe…although who doesn't like shiny new parts?!? From the Ranger master cylinder to the Koni's!! :P :P :lol:
Last edited by Rocket989 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

Lip Ripper

Re: Rocket's Comet

Post by Lip Ripper »

I say stroke that 5.0. The difference between a 260 and a 302 given the same amount of breath is not a seat of the pant's feeling to me.
66 Cyclone GT; 245/60R15's on 15x8's and 215/70R15's on 15x7 Magnum's.
There's nothing like the sound of a pushrod V8 singing at the top of her lung's.

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

There should be a stark diff in the current 260 and the planned 302!! It's a roller setup and will be pretty stout. Definitely add MORE power later, but gotta cut bait at some point to get stuff done. I've got another couple blocks, one of which will wind-up as a 331 when that time comes!! :D :mrgreen: :shock: :shock: :lol:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Glad to finally see a build thread ! :D :D How about a pic of the car ! how about a sigpic? sigpics make it easy to see who said what at a glance.
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

I'll get a pic or two of the car up tonight! Sig pic I'll grab after I'm done next week...could be sitting on dollies, ya never know!' :shock: :o :lol: :x :x

Here ya go, I did have one handy…

Ya know, I don't think I have many pictures of the CAR…just friggin' parts!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :oops: :oops:

Last thing I'm waiting on are some hardened carriage bolts for the shock caps. THINK I have everything else ready to roll. I'll be spraying stuff down with Liquid Wrench and getting in some more practice welding on lighter stuff the rest of the week!!
Last edited by Rocket989 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

comethead

Post by comethead »

'Bout damn time! :lol:
Gonna be cool to see the transformation.
What new spindles are you using?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Joe - It is man!! Spindles are from CSRP...came with the front disc brake kit.

comethead

Post by comethead »

Ok thanks! CSRP makes a few different spindles. There's the stock one that beefed up, the Granada conversion and a drop spindle. I just got a set of the HD 65-66 type with large bearings.

What's the plan on paint? It looks damn good from here!
Gonna be stock interior?
Hardened shock tower cap bolts?

Ok more questions coming... :mrgreen:

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Rocket....you plannin' on sleepin' any next week? :shock: :lol: That's a pretty ambitious agenda by my estimations. You going back with 64 or 65 steering linkage?
Jim

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Jim - Not much!! :) After the kids are asleep is pretty much the only time I've got to work on the Comet anyway!! :lol: :lol:

All '65 stuff, and using a quick ratio box and Shelby quick steer idler & pitman arms.

I'll need some help getting the 9" out of the workshop downstairs and when bleeding the brakes but otherwise on my own!! Worst case, I gotta at least get it back on wheels so I can dolly it over into its spot in the garage. Am's the best but I've found her tolerance for parking outside!! 'Course, it is gettin' warm now! :shock: :D :D :x :mrgreen:

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

If you were a just a little closer I would come help you.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

Good luck! You can do it! One week is plenty of time

Joe

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Thanks guys!! Mike - I'll get all my practice weldin' done on mine, then come help ya put that 4-link in!! :mrgreen: :shock: :D Joe - Yea, a week ain't bad…keepin' the digits crossed!!

Here's a before and after pic of the (too wide - but it's going in!!) 9-inch…the pass side "pile" is what was left of the drum innards…'tween that and condition of the drums themselves…that's what led me to rear disc. I've got a few in-progress pics I'll try and get posted, but in the end, all new Trac-Lok 3.89, new axle bearings, seals, and Caddy Eldo(!) :shock: rear discs!! I'll probably have to cut the mufflers off to get clearance to get the e-brake stuff working right, but MEH…I'll figure it out. John's seen the after pic but dunno about the before!

Before:

After:
Last edited by Rocket989 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

Rocket989 wrote:Thanks guys!! Mike - I'll get all my practice weldin' done on mine, then come help ya put that 4-link in!!
Practice that and a few other things, I need lots of help :lol:

Cool on the work, glad to see it, I may do rear discs as well haven't decided yet, I guess I will wait to see how it works out for you.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

The rear end looks great!