Rocket's Comet Build

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
comethead

Re: Rocket's Comet Build

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:I used a 2 stage power valve from a holley on my autolite 4100. I like it!
I had to read about what those are used for...remember them coming out back when...ok, vaguely...!! :D

Joe - regarding the specs...nothing earth shattering...

-Unknown mileage 5.0 roller shortblock...got it from a great local guy that does Fox 'Stang resto work - said it ran fine...gonna find out!
-Aforementioned pro ported E7 heads...they're iron junk, but MO the guy does beautiful work. Probably about as good as it gets with stock valve sizes and not sleeving the pushrod holes...he did a 5-angle valve job that's nuts!! They've been shaved a mite .010 or .020 (dunno without CC'ing them) so hoping deck clearance is also minimal to help get compression up! Got 'em for $250 bucks and spent another $140 on a valve spring & seal kit.
-Used FRPP B303 roller cam
-Weiand X-Celerator intake - ported by me...well, more like knocking down the sharp casting under the carb pad & evening up the runners/ plenum floor
-The 4776 Holley DP above
-90's set of Doug Thorley Tri-Y nickel-chrome headers...pounded out & welded from a previous owners 351W in Falcon attempt...also spent a day and a half beveling the ports to match the heads (which were matched to a FelPro 1450)...waiting to be painted!

-Bad-A** T5, bought w/ about 200 miles on it from the bro...he went Auto!! :shock:

-The 3.89 geared 9" you've seen a lot of, that I got to install twice (so far...)!

I picked-up stuff like a gasket set, oil pump, 260 timing cover, 6-blade Hi-Po fan, Canton road-race pan, etc. The PLAN is to take the alternator and brackets, put 'em on the 302, trim the tranny crossmember, swap the front driveshaft yoke & shoehorn it all in (along with the hydraulic clutch setup). We'll see!!

The hope is I can sell the healthy 260 complete the T10 and recoup some $$. That's the PLAN anyway!! Sorry for the rant, I like Fooooorrd engines! :D :D :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

-Accel StreetBillet dist -
Sounds like a great plan JH!
Your engines gonna be stout...man I shoulda gone roller :roll:
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Nah, nothing wrong with flat tappets! Especially the solid kind!! :D
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

comethead

Post by comethead »

The original Hipo used a 4 bladed riveted fan. What type are you using? A repro?

I'm thinking of getting a 10,000rpm Flex-Lite fan and painting it black.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
You use to have one didn't you? :lol:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
comethead wrote:
You use to have one didn't you? :lol:
Yup :|

comethead

Post by comethead »

Thats what I get for selling stuff! :lol:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Joe I saw that ''tested @10,000 rpm'' sticker on it the other day & it made me feel better. You hear bad stories about flexfans but I'm not worried. My cam is only making power up to 5600 I think so I never wind it very high. Thanks again for the fan ole part-ner! :D
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:Joe I saw that ''tested @10,000 rpm'' sticker on it the other day & it made me feel better. You hear bad stories about flexfans but I'm not worried. My cam is only making power up to 5600 I think so I never wind it very high. Thanks again for the fan ole part-ner! :D
Paint it black and send it back to me :x

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
poboyjo65 wrote:Joe I saw that ''tested @10,000 rpm'' sticker on it the other day & it made me feel better. You hear bad stories about flexfans but I'm not worried. My cam is only making power up to 5600 I think so I never wind it very high. Thanks again for the fan ole part-ner! :D
I ought to send you a bag of nails Joe . that way you'd have some to hang spare parts on instead of selling them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

poboyjo65 wrote:
comethead wrote:
I ought to send you a bag of nails Joe . that way you'd have some to hang spare parts on instead of selling them. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ha! I never thought I'd use that non-stock fan :roll:

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Is that a flexfan or a flexalite fan? Those flexfans scare me. Heard some horror stories about them breaking off and cutting a hose or going through the hood. I wouldn't want to be around one when that happened. I prefer to use a either a fixed 5 or 6 blade fan. So far i have only used a 5 blade fan which has worked just fine. If i needed more coolong I would go to the 6 blade.
Good luck and hope nobody gets hurt.
Ron

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Most (decent) flex-fans are steel body/ riveted aluminum fins...can't see 'em just turning into throwing stars! :D

Joe - Ya, it's a Hi-Po "repro" that has six blades...made just like the original FoMoCo fans. Though the brother just picked up an SN89 blower setup, and the Fluidyne electric fan he's got won't fit...he'd toss it to me cheap, but I'd also need the thermostatic controller, etc...old style fans might cost a few HP, but I like 'em...stone simple.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Comechero65 wrote:Is that a flexfan or a flexalite fan? Those flexfans scare me. Heard some horror stories about them breaking off and cutting a hose or going through the hood. I wouldn't want to be around one when that happened. I prefer to use a either a fixed 5 or 6 blade fan. So far i have only used a 5 blade fan which has worked just fine. If i needed more coolong I would go to the 6 blade.
Good luck and hope nobody gets hurt.
Ron
both ,It's a flexalite flexfan. I'm not worried. I dont know anyone personally that has had a problem & have seen lots of them over the years. Yea you hear stories, or maybe I just keep hearing the same old one. I think most mishaps with them are race cars at high rpm but it's just a guess. but no need to be scared Ron , I think there is enough distance between us. :lol: Good luck to you too with your EPS!
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

Uh yeah...ain't nothing wrong with a 10,000 rpm flex-a-lite fan. She'll hold! :lol:

comethead

Post by comethead »

Rocket989 wrote:Most (decent) flex-fans are steel body/ riveted aluminum fins...can't see 'em just turning into throwing stars! :D

Joe - Ya, it's a Hi-Po "repro" that has six blades...made just like the original FoMoCo fans. Though the brother just picked up an SN89 blower setup, and the Fluidyne electric fan he's got won't fit...he'd toss it to me cheap, but I'd also need the thermostatic controller, etc...old style fans might cost a few HP, but I like 'em...stone simple.
Got it JH. I think I have one of those fans somewhere. Or maybe I sold it to Johnnie :|