65 Cylcone Hoods

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
Kingspeedy2

Re: 65 Cylcone Hoods

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

funny thing I was just looking on ebay for that repop hood and couldn't find it
and The VHN one has been on my radar since I first stumbled across it, I too am not sure whether its a little too aggressive for my resto mod,
I think ideally I like the slightly more subtleties of the inverted induction style
I do know I don't like the factory Snorkel type like what Crites sells unless one happen to fall in my lap

I have 1 mint hood, 1 not as mint and 1 with a big square cut out that came with my car, Maybe I will practice with the TIG I just bought on the crappy hood and then try building my own cowl induction version on the not so mint metal one, and then buy the VHN one

on that note I was also trying to chose to paint the hood and the roof semi gloss black ,to go with a graphite grey pearl I have been thinking about for the rest of the car.

I was also thinking I could paint the whole car the graphite and then try the plastic dip to add the black ,if I Don't like it I can peel it off

lots of cool stuff out there, I am looking forward to keeping an eye on this thread

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

Well I searched the forum to find info on the Cyclone Repop hood that had been on ebay. $650 Us plus $190 shipping US
I contacted Joel who goes by the user name JOBODIZO on ebay. he can still make them. Just Like the rest of us I guess life is too busy "or too lazy " Joels words to keep the listing up.
anyway seems like a good guy and is quick to respond to an ebay message . I hesitated when I added the cost to bring it from Kentucky to Canada but it will kick my car up a notch.
Just like those other parts for our cars ..If you want em !! get em!! when they are gone there gone.
I invited Joel to Comet Central whom was unaware of the site.. I should have asked for a forum discount for my plug ..Damn it
Now if I wasn't too lazy I would post a pic of the hood

one additional word and something I never thought of ,Joel also suggested to use lightweight hood springs such as those found on the 66 gt350 hood as the stock ones are too heavy and will prevent the hood from closing.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

When I went to pick up my hood in Louisville Ky, I met Joel & saw his car. a really nice 202 with a 408 in it. & yes he is busy making babies & changin diapers. :lol: he had his first one with him that day & he said he has another one now I think so he has his hands full. He probably forgot but I have invited him on a couple of times. but if I want to get a hold of him he is on the ''comet list'' & that's where I talked to him last. The place where I met him was Kerns auto & that guy has a lot of neat cars hid in nearly every building on the block & did most of the work on Joel's car.

I would advise using no hood springs & just use a prop rod. when the hood is closed it is constant pressure pushing up near the middle of the hood. together with heat from the sun & time & you will most likely have a bowed up hood. even when it is open the weight of half of the hood is working against you. then when you close it,yep more pressure.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I use a prop rod as well. No springs.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

mkmills

Post by mkmills »

Like you, I wanted the Cyclone hood from Crites, but boy it was not straight at all and took
MASSIVE amounts of sanding and filler to get it straight. I also wanted to change up the rearward
leaning openings in the front to a forward leaning air inlet. More work with the fiberglass,
but I got them pretty close to the angle of the grill. Also I had to remove the hood Springs
because they were distorting the middle of the hood, actually pulling it up in the center. Removed
the hood Springs and after a day in the Texas heat, it settled perfectly. Hood scoops are
functional and I cut the hole around the carb/air-cleaner base to fit perfectly.
Also, Crites will try your patience!!!