Header coatings..?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

Header coatings..?

Post by GasserMac »

Greetings all...am about to invest in a set of used Hooker Comp Headers. Looking to have them ceram coated or some kind of paint coating that has a good track record. What works for ya'll...?
Mac

barrys65cyclone

Re: Header coatings..?

Post by barrys65cyclone »

JET HOT.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

JET HOT ...hands down,,,,no need to ask this question again,jmo,.......had stuff coated way back in the 90's on wife's 56ford and it ALL still looks new........can't think of the name off hand ,but had stuff coated on my comet in the 90's and it sucks !! these people are or were in OKLAHOMA,IF THEY ARE STILL IN BUSINESS,it's a wonder.......if they have gone out of business IT'S A NO WONDER...POP
pop/glenda

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Will they coat used headers? Some places won't...been awhile since I've looked into it.
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Rocket989 wrote:Will they coat used headers? Some places won't...been awhile since I've looked into it.
ON THE 56,I had a used set of exhaust manifolds coated but only after I spent a few hrs with a air drimmel tool working off all the casting numbers and in perfections,when I got thru ,they looked like chrome ,then had jet hot coated in a black,,they still look new....those guys in OKLAHOMA told me to make sure my headers fit and make any adjustaments ...BUT do not start the motor with them on before I ship them to them,,,they looked good for a couple of yrs ,after that the coating looks like it's trying to let rust appear...boy that was the hardest thing for me to do,NOT STARTING THAT ENGINE IN THE COMET with those tri-y headers while test fitting them........if I had it to do over today,the comet headers would have been jet hot coated.......pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

I had my headers Jet Hot coated back in 2012. I ran the car 1 year before sending to them. I actually took my headers off the other night and I'm going to ship them back to Jet Hot to be recoated first or 2nd week of January. Down at the merge collector, either they didn't get much coating on, or the coating burned off because they are quite rusty in that area. I called Jet Hot on Monday this week, and they said their warranty was 1 free recoating of the headers, I'd have to pay shipping and handling fees. If I would want a third recoating in the future, it would be 1/2 price plus shipping and handling.

loman

Post by loman »

Rocket989 wrote:Will they coat used headers? Some places won't...been awhile since I've looked into it.
If my memory serves me correctly, I think I asked Jet Hot that same question back in 2011. I thought they told me it would be better to have a "seasoned header", but don't hold me to that. I'm guessing that's because a slightly used header will have gone through several heat cycles and hopefully will have no warping effect that could effect the coating. With having a new header coated, maybe there is a slight chance that metal might warp once it goes through heat cycles and possibly causing the coating to crack. This is just my opinion.
If I remember, I'll try to take some before and after shots of my headers when I get them recoated next month.

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Thanks all.... might I ask what I would be looking at to have a set jet hot coated...$.....?

vicegrip

Post by vicegrip »

I'll probably get flamed for this but considering the cost of Jet Hot,VHT Flame Proof is pretty good stuff,available anywhere. The product is good IF the application methods are done properly. For example,the headers really need to be blasted,new or used,wiped clean several times with wax and grease remover.I have a swivel hook I hang them up on and give them 3 wettish coats. Here's the rub...sticking them on the motor to heat them up doesn't work that well. I have access to a large power coating oven and heat them up according to the instructions. Have a couple cars with at least 5 yrs of street-strip use and the headers are still nice.

loman

Post by loman »

I got my headers back from Jet Hot after being recoated. They look great! I new they were getting kind of ugly, but I didn't realize how much shine they lost. The before and after pictures don't do it justice.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

They look great loman!! :D
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

way to go ,LOMAN......they are nice............ :D pop
pop/glenda

loman

Post by loman »

Once I get them bolted back on, everything else in the engine bay is going to look drab compared to the headers. Off to the shop, I go.

Matty

Post by Matty »

What was the cost?

1962 Mercury Comet S22 302 5.0 T5 Custom: tfs 1 cam & springs, 8.8 31 spline lsd 373 rear, 5 lug disc conversion front and rear, new V8 steering components, Gt40 heads, Performer RPM intake, phenolic spacer, Brawler 650

loman

Post by loman »

In 2012, I paid $375 to have my headers coated. The recoating that I just had done did not cost anything but shipping and handling to and from Okla City. I think they told me if I get them recoated a second time there will be a charge but not full charge and shipping and handling.