64 202

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
gmsnowball

64 202

Post by gmsnowball »

I have a 64 202 2 door that my wife has asked me to make a rat rod out of it. It has a nice light blue patina and is a fairly straight car. Floors and quarters are good, needs a windshield and updated interior, she says she has a Mexican blanket for it. I think it has a 170 in it now but would like to put a slightly warmed over 200 in it and keep the auto trans. I have a late model C4 from my Ranchero that would work great. Any ideas on where to start looking for the 200? I will check the motor to see what it actually is but I would rather pull and replace than rebuild. Never used sixes before so it will be a learning experience for me.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere
Just Outside the Neutral Zone
64 Comet Calentie Convertible

Santa's Comet

Re: 64 202

Post by Santa's Comet »

Yea it's good idea to keep the wife happy! Plus you get to play with
another '64' !
NP Dave

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Too bad you're not a little closer, I have a used sedan windshield I'd loose money on to get rid of it & I only gave 60 bucks for it.
Johno

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

I have a 65 Ranchero that I bought in case I needed parts for my 64 Ranchero that has good glass but I hate to tear it apart as I may build it one day. It would be the last one I'm building, I have too much fun driving them.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote:Any ideas on where to start looking for the 200?
Not sure where but a junkyard but you need to look for '72 model year like in a Maverick/Comet, make sure it is a 200 and not a 170 or 250, the 250 would work too but would be more work to fit and I think if you had the motor mounts from the Mav. it would sit low enough but there is length issues as well.

If you can find it a 200 out of a 80's model (Fairmont) would have the biggest valves and a bolt pattern that matches a SBF bell housing. I have not found a Fairmont (or 200 Mustang) in a JY yet because I am looking for the rear sump oilpan and pickup for my project, there were some in OK but I can't put my hands on the number and name of the place at the moment :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Finally drug the 202 out of storage and got it cleaned out and on the lift. Pleasantly surprised, the floors and panels are almost rust free. I can't believe how clean the under side is. Lower rear quarters have just a touch but everything else is good. Opened the trunk and found three dog dish hubcaps, need a fourth, a T 5 transmission with bell housing, AC compressor and a ton of other good parts. Found the 202 and Comet emblems. They are in great condition. The wife wants me to leave the paint as is and just get it running and stopping so it will be a much easier fix. I think she will tire of it pretty quick and I can make the B F/X I wanted.

Interior has been stripped and floors cleaned, now to POR 15 everything and put down the Dynamat. Looking for a 200 six and C4 combo if anyone knows where one is. The 170 is just a bit tired and needs help so I might as well build a 200 if I can find one.

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

200s are not too hard to find, Mustangs had them and many took out for V8 swap, Maverick/Comet is good source as well and you can probably find the engine/tranny combo you want easier in one of those. You just need to check and make sure the starter is high mount and it has a 3 bolt water pump, otherwise it is a 250. If you decide on the 250 make sure to get the complete motor mounts from the frame of the Maverick and it should snuggle down in there with the only problem being radiator clearance on the front because the 250 water pump is longer, I think you have to use a low profile air cleaner as well. The nice thing about the 250 is the ability to use SBF transmissions.

If my 200 was a little more complete I might consider selling it but I don't want to give someone else a potential problem with it and it has no head.

Good luck and if you need any 6 advice I can try and give any help from what I have learned :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread

gmsnowball

Post by gmsnowball »

Thanks, I will keep my eye out for a 200

Gary
Oklahoma Somewhere

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

gmsnowball wrote:Thanks, I will keep my eye out for a 200
If you find a '77 or later 200/250 (head fits both engines) with a good head you should grab the head, it will have the biggest valves, hardened seats and largest intake tract. If you didn't know that already :roll:

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread