Post by poboyjo65 »

Johno

A/FX
Comet Central Member

Re: Gas tank

Post by A/FX »

johnef805 wrote:Hay all
Anyone know a good place to get a gas tank
Where are you located? I may have an extra tank available.
I will not ship because of the hassle of size, smell, and the Feds.
I'm 60 miles North of Chicago.
‘64 Cyclone/ Boss 302,quads,4spd, Winters 9”

johnef805

Post by johnef805 »

So Cal. Thanks for your offer

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

If the $325 for a new one is too much you might have a rad shop vat it out & then you could seal it. Redkote is one sealer that I have used with good results.
Johno

Loner

Post by Loner »

I'm in the same boat i have two that are to far gone to repair.
Crazy they cost so much!
You can buy a high end fuel cell for that price.

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Loner wrote:I'm in the same boat i have two that are to far gone to repair.
Crazy they cost so much!
But it isn't made to fit like the tank! it's only money, & after you get over it you have a brand new tank!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Johno

SASSY

Post by SASSY »

I'm thankful there is one available!!
Add 35-50% to your cost that is what I will have to pay!!
Fred
I'd rather do it myself if it's done right or not,,,isn't that what hotrodding is all about

Loner

Post by Loner »

poboyjo65 wrote:
Loner wrote:I'm in the same boat i have two that are to far gone to repair.
Crazy they cost so much!
But it isn't made to fit like the tank! it's only money, & after you get over it you have a brand new tank!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cool so your buying me one? It's only money & and after you get over it I will have a brand new tank :wink:

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Well if your not ready to spend some money your better sell the damn thing & take up knitting, cause it aint gonna build it self! :lol:
Johno

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Unless it's a drag-only car, fuel cells are more stinkin-a** and less safe. Ask me how I know! I'm also thankful they're reproduced now (finally)! I might miss the space working UNDER the back of the car a but hopefully that doesn't need to happen as often. I'll be getting one at some point!! :D :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

A gas tank is necessary part same as the motor,trans or anything else. You have choices. A high end fuel cell is a choice but it isnt a bolt in . a new tank is a choice currently, & will bolt right in-in about an hour or so & your done. It was not available until a couple years ago. I spent about 200 patching & sealing my original tank. 100 to have it vatted out & patched, about 60 on 2 qts of sealer, sand to sand blast it twice,before & after the rad shop, & paint & primer. Plus my labor. At the time I wished they made a new one. After I moved my frame rails in for minitubs, the stock tank would not fit so I sectioned the old tank bottom to fit between the framerails & I built a tank that fits inside of the smaller resized stock tank. All together I've spent a lot of money & time on tanks, but I'm done.I've paid my dues & I'm over it. Nothing more aggravating than a rusty tank to send gunk to your carb & park you on the side of the road,,,except a rusty tank that leaks, so you always smell it & is dangerous. This is usually the first part I buy for an old car or truck, it will save you a lot of headaches. so a person can fork out the cheese or pay the price in another way. my guess is these tanks aren't exactly flying off the shelves,may not be profitable enough for the manufacturer, & may not be always available. If I still needed a tank I'd start now putting coins in a piggy bank if I had to, but I'd get a new one while they are here. Or you can get a boat tank at wally world for about 30 bucks. I used one for a while, you can have it if you come & get it!! :lol: :lol:
Johno

afx1964

Post by afx1964 »

I have one that has been professionally refurbished I would sell for half the cost of a new one. It's still in the box it was shipped back to me in. I had it done just prior to the new ones coming out and it cost more than the new one that I bought afterward. Sadly, these cars aren't mainstream enough for a lot of parts and there isn't much competition in those parts that are reproduced.

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

THAT pretty much tells it like it is,,kinda like drinking out of a crudy glass,,,yrs ago I had a 57 ford that had sat for yrs,I had more trouble ,til I replaced the fuel tank...cured the headache !!... (my dad kept tellin me but I thought the crap would work itself out,,it never did)....it's a pay me now...or pay me later deal....jmo....pop
pop/glenda

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

You may not like the price but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and just pay the price. Also consider it may not still be around long. I have procrastinated on buying stuff when it was available then when i was ready to buy it was no longer available. No guarentees it will still be around!
Ron
Last edited by Comechero65 on Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.