'65 Cyclone DSO code decipher...?

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
GasserMac

'65 Cyclone DSO code decipher...?

Post by GasserMac »

Greetings Guru's, my '65 has a 6 digit DSO code code of #217601... Never been able to figure out its meaning . Not really finding it on the Ford codes. Would any of you have a source of the Merc codes...?
Or are they the same and i am missing it?...thanks in advance....Mac

Jims65cyclone

Re: '65 Cyclone DSO code decipher...?

Post by Jims65cyclone »

Yours was a special order car ordered out of Atlanta. The 7601 was the special order number.

Units built on a Domestic Special Order, Foreign Special Order, or other special orders will have the complete order number in the DSO space. Also to appear in this space is the two-digit code number of the District which ordered the unit. If the unit is a regular production unit, only the District code number will appear.

Code District
11 Boston
15 New York
16 Philiadelphia
17 Washington
21 Atlanta
22 Dallas
23 Jacksonville
26 Memphis
31 Buffalo
32 Cincinnati
33 Cleveland
34 Detroit
41 Chicago
42 St. Louis
46 Twin Cities
51 Denver
52 Los Angeles
53 Oakland
54 Seattle
81 Ford of Canada
84 Home Office
90's Export

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Jims65cyclone wrote:Yours was a special order car ordered out of Atlanta. The 7601 was the special order number.

Units built on a Domestic Special Order, Foreign Special Order, or other special orders will have the complete order number in the DSO space. Also to appear in this space is the two-digit code number of the District which ordered the unit. If the unit is a regular production unit, only the District code number will appear.

Code District
11 Boston
15 New York
16 Philiadelphia
17 Washington
21 Atlanta
22 Dallas
23 Jacksonville
26 Memphis
31 Buffalo
32 Cincinnati
33 Cleveland
34 Detroit
41 Chicago
42 St. Louis
46 Twin Cities
51 Denver
52 Los Angeles
53 Oakland
54 Seattle
81 Ford of Canada
84 Home Office
90's Export

Jim
WHAT is so special on this car??.........thanks POP
pop/glenda

65 hipo

Post by 65 hipo »

Do you have any pictures of the car? Like under the hood.
1965 Hi-Po Cyclone
1995 Mustang GT

Groover

Post by Groover »

Isn't any car that is out of the ordinary (not a standard off the line) a special order?

If you wanted a Cyclone with bench seats or an automatic, they'd make it but it would be a special order. Or at least that's what I always thought.

In 1968 my father ordered a Custom 500 Ranch Wagon with a 302, 3 speed on the column and no AC. It was a special order because typically they wouldn't roll that combination off the line unless somebody wanted it that way.

When I was driving it around college and shifting that three on the tree, sweating to death, I asked myself the very same question :oops:
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

popscomet wrote: WHAT is so special on this car??.........thanks POP
The 7601 part of the DSO is just a special order number, not a code. Without a build sheet for the car, there's no telling what options may have been added, or standard items deleted on the order. You might be able to compare the car with a list of available options to figure out what may have made it a special order.
https://ccco.s3.amazonaws.com/kb_photos ... ow_res.jpg

Jim

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

thanks ,the way I take it ,if it was anything other then a standard build coming down the line it was considered ....special....pop :o :wink:
pop/glenda

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

Ahh....o.k., i see it now. The order number being assigned to the car and not necessarily a certain code. Got it....the only specalties it has is the driver side remote mirror, FG hood and the dash pad delete. I'm guessing the order is all of these in some kind of factory order. Knew i came to the right place....thanks to all for the valuable info. Mac....

Jims65cyclone

Post by Jims65cyclone »

With a glass hood, I assume it's a Cyclone? Mine had a glass hood with it when I bought it, but my DSO is just 21 (Atlanta). No special order number. One of the PO's might have got the hood later on. Mine was originally a 4-speed, converted to an automatic, then back to a 4-speed, so who knows what else may have been added or removed over the years. :roll:
Jim

MattDoscher

Post by MattDoscher »

dash pad delete
That's interesting. Factory prepped race Cyclone perhaps?

Matt
1965 Comet Caliente Convertible
5H25T582252

comethead

Post by comethead »

GasserMac wrote:Ahh....o.k., i see it now. The order number being assigned to the car and not necessarily a certain code. Got it....the only specalties it has is the driver side remote mirror, FG hood and the dash pad delete. I'm guessing the order is all of these in some kind of factory order. Knew i came to the right place....thanks to all for the valuable info. Mac....
Sounds like a cool car! Some added lightness from the factory.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

GasserMac

Post by GasserMac »

The dash pad delete is odd. There are slight indentations on the dash to accommodate the punch out area for the clips....only no holes were punched. When viewed from above it can't be seen. But when viewed at an angle they show up. About 12 years ago I ran a title search but was never successful at reaching any of the early owners. Oh, and the glove box door was welded shut. Whoever did it, did a sweet weld bead. Hmm....

Comechero65

Post by Comechero65 »

Should you ever want to install a dash pad I have a drawing with dimensions for the pad and mounting clip holes. It's for a 65 falcon but i believe the dash is identicle on the 65 (maybe even 64) comet. And I think the pad was the same.
Ron

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

Comechero65 wrote:Should you ever want to install a dash pad I have a drawing with dimensions for the pad and mounting clip holes. It's for a 65 falcon but i believe the dash is identicle on the 65 (maybe even 64) comet. And I think the pad was the same.
Ron
BOY,I'd want to make dad gum sure the dimensions were the same t'ween a falcon and a comet before punching any holes :shock: :o :o :wink:
pop/glenda

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I wished mine didn't have the holes. :roll:
Johno