Battery Relocation to the Trunk

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
platinummaker

Battery Relocation to the Trunk

Post by platinummaker »

Hi Guys,
I am contemplating moving the battery to the trunk on the 64. Hoping this will clean up the engine compartment a bit, and leave a little more room for an engine replacement down the road that might require a bigger radiator or intercooler (dreamin). Have done plenty of these in the past, but never on a Comet, so I'm appreciative of any ideas/ experience/ advice you all might have that have done this modification to our cars.
Thanks all
Dave

poboyjo65

Re: Battery Relocation to the Trunk

Post by poboyjo65 »

What is the condition of the battery apron? The reason I ask is I have a driver side apron cut & nearly ready to fit the pass side to replace the rusted section where the battery was. Then I decided to use a mustang patch panel & keep the battery in the front. Here it is clamped into place

Imageimages upload
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

I'll be doing this to my Falcon eventually.
I've seen this tray on eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/260596840161
But I'm still researching as far as cable routing and cable kits.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Thanks guys.
Johno I will admit to not having looked at the apron enough to assess its condition. Upon some cessation of the recent Nor Cal monsoon, I'll get back to the car and take a hard look. So you kept your battery in the stock location? I know from your build thread you went with a larger aftermarket radiator. No relocation of battery required? Do you mind sharing the specs on your radiator?
Joe that looks like a well built piece that will be fully functional. I've already started fabbing a battery box from a tool box I had laying around...certainly at this point however all is subject to change!
Here are the cables I ordered. Plenty big and should be fairly flexible for routing. Got some extra so when I have to fix the inevitable mistake, I'll still have enough. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0161 ... UTF8&psc=1 Anyone who has done this relocated solenoid etc to clean up inner fenderwell?

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

In my thinking,,the sol should be as close to the starter as possible,making the starter cable down to the starter as short as possible....JMO......pop
pop/glenda

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

I'm currently cleaning up and rewiring the engine bay in my car and I'll probably move the battery to the trunk as well. I'm moving most of the electronics - starter solenoid, voltage regulator, various relay's I've added over the years, to the indented battery area. I think I'll cover it up with a removable apron like the picture Joe posted. Should really clean up the engine bay. This will also allow for a bigger radiator down the road should I ever need one.

I also added a shorter, larger alternator wire that goes straight to the hot side of the starter solenoid. The original alternator wires that loop through the firewall and the ammeter I'm going to repurpose into hot and accessory power wires for powering things on the interior - power seats, locks, stereo etc. This means my ammeter won't work anymore, so I may convert it to a voltmeter. Or I might just leave it for looks. My multimeter usually isnt too far away.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

I turned the battery tray 90* to get more room. I bought a 67 mustang tray ,took off the mount bracket & remounted it where I needed it . I think I had to trim a corner of the tray too. here is the rad I used,
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-381428/overview/
27 1/2'' wide total, but has tapers at the bottom that were perfect to miss the frame rails .
My block ,water pump, PS. brackets are all 70's truck. I needed the hose configurations that this rad has.
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

I put the batt in the trunk on wife's 56 ford way back in the early 90's,but left the solenoid in stock location,grounded to the frame and engine to frame,and body to frame....works great......good luck ! pop
pop/glenda

ants875

Post by ants875 »

I put my battery in the trunk as well, it's sits on the tray behind the back seat. I usually go to welding supply and get ground wire for a welder. It's big cheap and very flexible so you can chase it through the car easier. Then I grounded the battery to the trunk hinge bolts, then the motor on both side from the motor mount bolts in the block and then to where the perches mount on the frame. Never had any issues starting the car or with it charging properly either.

Ant

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

AT 1st I used welding lead,then for some reason I changed it....and it might of been just because of the color of the insulation on the wire :lol: knowing GLENDA SHE WANTED RED INSTEAD OF BLACK,,,,so I changed it.. :shock: :shock: pop
pop/glenda

Kingspeedy2

Post by Kingspeedy2 »

PoboyJoy
is that a 65 mustang drivers side patch you are surgically installing to repair the rotted battery tray area?

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Kingspeedy2 wrote:PoboyJoy
is that a 65 mustang drivers side patch you are surgically installing to repair the rotted battery tray area?
No,I used a mustang pass side apron. I think there are pics of it in my build thread, if that is what you are talking about. It was just barely tall enough. & just a little different shape with the rounded corner -upper right ,,,comet is square.
Last edited by poboyjo65 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johno

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

OK sorry you said driver side. no that is a comet driver side from my parts car. I still have it if you are interested , $25 plus shipping. still has the flange on front to weld to the rad support. If you want to go back with a battery up front or want an area similar to stock you could buy a mustang passenger side apron , that's what I did.
Johno

platinummaker

Post by platinummaker »

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'll report on details of completion

CosmicComets

Post by CosmicComets »

Anyone thinking about relocating the battery to the trunk, just be aware that if you ever want to "play" at a local drag strip or any other type of organized racing, you will need to invest more time and money than just installing a relocation kit! NHRA will require a metal firewall (.024 steel, or .032 aluminum) be installed between the passenger compartment and the battery. OR, an "approved" sealed and vented battery box. Battery or box attached by minimum of 3/8' bolts and straps, no J hooks, attached to a frame rail. And also a rear external battery disconnect switch that also kills the motor! ( I hated that one) I don't remember all the specs, but it was a real chore to get NHRA legal, even in a car as slow as Cosmic! Take care, Cary
65 Cyclone 460W, C4, trans brake, CalTracs
64 Cyclone (son's) 408W 8 stack EFI 6speed, Winters qc rear
64 Cyclone (son's)347, 4speed, mini tubbed 9"
1965 Caliente, 289, 4 speed, buckets, 51k miles
1969 428 CJ coupe (son's)
1965 Cyclone, tube chassis, 514bbf, glide w/brake

WARNING: all of my vehicles are armed with anti-thrift devices