Accelerator pedal +

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
cam shaft

Accelerator pedal +

Post by cam shaft »

We are getting closer, the end is near, light at the end of the tunnel, cross the finish line, and all that stuff, but we still have to ask for a little help before we can declare victory.

1. The upholster guy covered up the coat hook mounts and I cant seem to locate them through the head liner. I measured the donor car and they seem to about 35 1/4" from the visor bracket, but I dont want to cut until certain.. Can anyone help?

2. Does the accelerator pedal mount directly on the floor pan or does it sit on top of the carpet? We did locate the factory holes in floor pan, but they seem to be located 1/2" or so inside the heel pad, would this be correct?

3. OMG-1 , glove box door adjustment!. Any tricks or shortcuts?

4. OMG-2 , steering wheel center trim, We are now on the 4th "horn ring retainer, We have tried white lithium, graphite, and all sorts of profane words without success. Again any tricks or super secret advice some one might be willing to share?

Thank you to all who have helped!

poboyjo65

Re: Accelerator pedal +

Post by poboyjo65 »

I took some pics of the roof from my partscars that still has the coat hooks & a shred of fabric, that will help you. coming soon.

I'd have to guess on the pedal, mine was on top but was not original carpet. I would think that would be the correct way but someone else may know for sure.

I spent a lot of time on my glove box & trim piece & it is still not perfect. stay after it! that is the only trick I know. but walk away for a break when the bad words start ganging up together :lol:

my steering wheel I just push in hard until it bottoms out & then turn. I'd guess the repop pc's aren't as good as original.
Johno

Lou's Comet

Post by Lou's Comet »

was playing with my glove box door today.

Where the hinge bolts to the dash adjusts the door in and out on the bottom.

Where the striker bolts to dash adjusts the door in and out on top.

Where the hinge bolts to the door is where you adjust door up and down.

If you run out of adjustment anywhere you can enlarge the hole some to get more adjustment.

Not putting coat hooks in mine and a long way from gas pedal assembly.

Lou

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

Here are the pics. this is a roof from a 65 2dr HT caliente. there is a budge that the hook screws in to. I suppose the budge keeps you from going thru the roof. looks to be about a foot from the corner of the rear window to the front side of the hook is where the tape measure is hooked. hard to see but the rusty hooks are still there. there is another budge so be sure to hit the right one! I have had a new set of coat hooks in the glove box & having been meaning to take these pics but I still expect pics of your car as a trade when you git-er-done!!! :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: lots of pics & a full run down on the whole build is in order upon finishing it!!!!
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool
Imagescreenshot tool

roof is in the rusty bed of a truck if you are wondering about the background :lol:
Johno

cam shaft

Post by cam shaft »

Thanks everyone, the pictures are great. I may just wear my coat as opposed to hanging on coat hook. Any way back to work, break is over. A judging crew is going to inspect this week, and we will see if the car is ready for photos. Pix will be on this site first, check Wed.

thank you

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

cam shaft wrote:Thanks everyone, the pictures are great. I may just wear my coat as opposed to hanging on coat hook. Any way back to work, break is over. A judging crew is going to inspect this week, and we will see if the car is ready for photos. Pix will be on this site first, check Wed.

thank you
That's what I had in mind ,who needs em? but a new set was in the car when I got it so after seeing these pics now I think the budge would be easy to feel thru the headliner, I think I'll hunt humps & screw them on.

Looking forward to your pics! & story.
Johno

comethead

Post by comethead »

On the gas pedal; I seem to remember that mine mounted on top of the carpet and the screws went through the carpet and jute to the floor. When I removed it to replace the carpet there was still old carpet and jute material under it.
Otherwise if it mounts directly to the floor you'd have to cut the carpet and snake it over the mounted pedal- doesn't seem like a production friendly way of doing it.
Good luck. Looking forward to pics and details.

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

my carpet came with a slit for the pedal already in it....but my carpet was bought way back in the 90's...forget where I even bought it,,,,,when I redid it the 1st time with the AT,,I bought new carpet ,,,then when I went to the 4spd with the off set ,I had to buy new frt carpet again......still looks good ,just don't recall where it came from after all these yrs.....
pop/glenda

Groover

Post by Groover »

popscomet wrote:my carpet came with a slit for the pedal already in it....but my carpet was bought way back in the 90's...forget where I even bought it,,,,,when I redid it the 1st time with the AT,,I bought new carpet ,,,then when I went to the 4spd with the off set ,I had to buy new frt carpet again......still looks good ,just don't recall where it came from after all these yrs.....
The carpets we just bought (but have not installed yet) have a slit in them for the pedal as well.
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

comethead

Post by comethead »

Mine didn't have a slit cut...I must have gotten the cheap one! :cry:

Groover

Post by Groover »

comethead wrote:Mine didn't have a slit cut...I must have gotten the cheap one! :cry:
Mine are "cut and sewn" perhaps yours is two piece molded? maybe that is the difference?

Got mine from MAC's
1964 Comet Caliente Convertible
30,000 miles on our rebuild

All Comets start out as dreams...

lavron
Site Admin

Post by lavron »

I wish someone made the rubber floor mat that is really what I would like for my Comet, but I might have a plan for that.

See Ya,
Mike
Mike's build thread
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13058

comethead

Post by comethead »

lavron wrote:I wish someone made the rubber floor mat that is really what I would like for my Comet, but I might have a plan for that.

See Ya,
Mike
What's your plan Mike? I'd like to do the rubber floor mat treatment on my Falcon.

Joe

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

comethead wrote:
lavron wrote:I wish someone made the rubber floor mat that is really what I would like for my Comet, but I might have a plan for that.

See Ya,
Mike
What's your plan Mike? I'd like to do the rubber floor mat treatment on my Falcon.

Joe
How about the ''handy man in a can'' ''flex seal'' in the gallons! :lol: (as seen on TV) :roll:
Johno

popscomet

Post by popscomet »

poboyjo65 wrote:
comethead wrote:

See Ya,
Mike

Joe
How about the ''handy man in a can'' ''flex seal'' in the gallons! :lol: (as seen on TV) :roll:
yea !! that stuff will float a boat,with a 9.9 evinrude viberating on the back...... :shock: :roll: :wink:
pop/glenda