Suspension redo finally got her back

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
luc3ch

Suspension redo finally got her back

Post by luc3ch »

Finally got my 64 back know after nearly a month at the community college auto tech program.
They replaced upper control arms, tie rods, lower CA bushings, sway bar frame bushings and links, shocked and did the Shelby drop up front.

Also front wheel bearings and the passenger side engine mount I never managed to get to.

Out back was shackles, spring eye bushings, and spring isolator pads.

She rides like a dream. 1964 technology at its best.

Took my wife out for ice cream yesterday night after I got her home and took a nice 20 mile cruise tonight.

Moving to Detroit next month and she will definitely be on Woodward Ave every night in Dream Cruise week.
Last edited by luc3ch on Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

comethead

Re: Suspension redo finally got her back

Post by comethead »

Nice!!!!
That's good to hear and some young ones learned a thing or two!

Any good stories on the kids changing parts?

Joe
1965 Caliente HT- 289/4 speed
1964 Falcon HT- track car- 302/4 speed

albert

Post by albert »

Did the same work on mine when I first got it. The feel of the new ride is amazing. Hope the kids learned a lot about 50 year old cars! Enjoy you new cushy ride.
Albert's 65 289, polar white, black buckets, 5 speed, Autolite 4100, ps, pb, factory tach, crites hood, headers, dual exhaust

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

comethead wrote:Nice!!!!
That's good to hear and some young ones learned a thing or two!

Any good stories on the kids changing parts?

Joe
. The work was supervised by the instructor who made sure it all got done right. The instructors are all long term old school mechanics some with their own shops.

I do hope those kids got something out of this.
1964 Comet Caliente, 302, upgraded to Toploader, front disk brakes ready for 2021 season after the snow melts!

luc3ch

Post by luc3ch »

Did not mention before: my turning radius is a lot bigger than it was before the rebuild. Especially to the right.

Not sure how that might be related to the drop. Or to the change in camber & caster setup?

Also I get about 1/2 more steering wheel turn to the left which explains why turning radius is a little tighter that direction.

Guy who supervised all the work did say my steering box is pretty well shot. Does a bad steering box limit turning at the end of its travel??

redhotcomet

Post by redhotcomet »

Steering box could be worn out. Or they adjusted toe-in by turning the steering wheel on the shaft, instead of adjusting at the tie-rod end sleeves.
1964 Caliente hardtop, 302/T5/8.8"

poboyjo65

Post by poboyjo65 »

the shop should know what is wrong, if not you need to find a new shop.
count the turns from left to right & double check going the other way. put the s wheel right in the center of those turns. like if it is 5 turns put it on 2.5. this should be near center of your box & your wheels should be pointing straight ahead. if not the tie rod adjusting sleeves should be turned equal amounts until the wheels are pointing straight & the s wheel is still in it's centered position. you should go thru this process of counting the turns & putting it in the center & see if the wheels are pointing sraight ahead again since you may not have found true center because one of the spindle stops may have prevented full travel of the box.toe in should be rechecked.
Johno