Water pump to radiator clearance

The Era of The Square Body Racing Comets
geralde

Water pump to radiator clearance

Post by geralde »

I was wondering if the 4.5 to 4.75 inches between the water pump face and the radiator mounting surface is about right? I have a mid to late eighties 302 HO / 300 hp with the reverse water pump for a surpentine setup. Just doing some measuring to determine what type of fan might fit? Looking at a 2 row radiator with one inch tubes. The core is 2.25 inches thick. Looking a a slimline flex fan, which is 1.125 inches wide at rest. If I use a small fan spacer I believe I would clear everything. Anybody been down this road? Thanks

Santa's Comet

Re: Water pump to radiator clearance

Post by Santa's Comet »

Fan to radiator space for a v belt would be 3/4" to 1". This allows room to slide a V belt between fan and rad. You will also need the room to bolt your fan on.
With a serp belt you could go closer but you would have to pull the radiator to replace W/P.
NP Dave

geralde

Post by geralde »

It appears that by going with the 302 ho motor I have lost about an inch clearance from the old 260 engine. The water pump is just a tick longer on the 302. The new radiator is about .5 inch thicker also. I think if I use a .5 to .75 fan spacer and the slimline flex fan I will have maybe .5 to .75 clearance between the fan and radiator. At least I think so.

fairlaniac

Post by fairlaniac »

geralde wrote:It appears that by going with the 302 ho motor I have lost about an inch clearance from the old 260 engine. The water pump is just a tick longer on the 302. The new radiator is about .5 inch thicker also. I think if I use a .5 to .75 fan spacer and the slimline flex fan I will have maybe .5 to .75 clearance between the fan and radiator. At least I think so.
Just an FYI - make sure you get a reverse rotation flex fan. The old conventional flex fans won't work. The water pump with serpentine goes in reverse.
Doug Bender
1964 Comet Caliente
1966 Fairlane 427/4 Spd

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

I just installed a 302 in my 65 and was looking at what to do with the radiator and fan. This is what I came up with. I found a spal 16" fan that is only 2" deep with 1300 cfm. I then cut a groove in the top of the radiator mount and slid the radiator down on the front side of the mount. You can see this in the picture

I ended up with 1" space between the water pump and fan by tipping the radiator forward a 1/2"

I will be installing a AC condenser and transmission cooler in front of this with a small pusher fan to help cool. I'm hoping this works. I was checking all the clearances today before I trim the fan mounting tabs.
tomb's 65

Rocket989

Post by Rocket989 »

Hope so but I havent seen electric fan(s) with less than 2000-2500cfm work well enough. Let us know!!
'cause Johno says you gotta have a sig pic! :)

tomb22

Post by tomb22 »

Rocket989 wrote:Hope so but I havent seen electric fan(s) with less than 2000-2500cfm work well enough. Let us know!!
I definitely will. Here in Wisconsin our weather is a little bit cooler. That might help?????
tomb's 65

geralde

Post by geralde »

Thanks for posting this. I plan on a mechanical fan if possible. I don't have my radiator yet but I will keep what you have done in mind.